• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Matt Barkley Derby

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know it's only been 1 game , but I thought it would be interesting to start what I am dubbing as the "Matt Barkley Derby" ( I know, it's not as catchy as "Suck for Luck" but you get the idea).

With how the 1st week of the season went off, this is my stab in the dark assessment of who is in contention for the arguably top QB pick for the 2013 NFL draft:

The Contenders:

Oakland Raiders :

During Hue Jackson's tenure as HC, the Raiders used a 1st round pick in 2012 and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2013 that could turn to another 1st round pick if Oakland reached the AFC championship game in either the 2012 or 2013 season to acquire QB Carson Palmer from the Bengals after staring QB Jason Campbell suffered a season ending collarbone injury.

So far, the Carson Palmer trade has yet to live up to the cost of what the Raiders gave up in acquiring him. If the Raiders fail to reach the post season again this year, chances are high that the new regime will clean house starting with the QB position. With the Raiders faling to reach the playoffs last season and their chances of reaching the playoffs this season is looking slim, it is safe to say that they will not lose their 1st round pick next year giving them a high chance of landing Matt Barkley.

Buffalo Bills:

In the 2011 season, the Bills started strong winning 5 of their first 7 games. QB Ryan Fitzpatrick posted a 97.8 passer rating and a 14-7 TD-INT ratio. In October of 2011, the Bills signed Fitzpatrick to a $62 million 7 year contract extetion. In the final 9 games, he has a 66.5 passer rating with a 10-16 TD-INT ratio. His 23 INT's lead the league in 2011. Last Sunday when the Jets intercepted Fitzpatrick 3 times. If this trend continues, the Bills might just decide to cut their losses and throw in their hat into the Matt Barkley Derby.

Kansas City Chiefs:

After finishing atop the AFC West with a 10-6 record, the Chiefs lost to the Raven in the AFC wild card game on January 2011. Despite the playoff loss, there was a lot of optimism coming into the 2011 season but after a rash of injuries to key players and a 5-8 start, HC Todd Haley was fired and replaced by Romeo Crennel on an interim basis (Crennel became the permanent HC on Jan 9, 2012). The Chiefs finished the 2011 season with a 7-9 record, last in the AFC West. During all these, there were questions circulating on whether Matt Cassel is a good enough quarterback to lead the Chiefs in their 1st Super Bowl appearance in 43 seasons. Throwing 2 picks against Atlanta last Sunday did not help.

The Next Batch:

Cleveland Browns - Yes, the Browns just drafted Brandon Weeden and one game should not be used as a measuring stick for his performance but yu have to realize that the Browns has a new owner and could clean house, starting from the top, if the Browns season proceeds as it started.

Arizona Cardinals - Even with a win last weekend, the QB situation in Arizona remains unresolved. Will Kolb be able to have a break out season and finally show he is worth what the Cardinals is paying him? Will Skelton come out on top? Or will they both tank and have Az enter the Matt Barkley Derby

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's only been 1 game , but I thought it would be interesting to start what I am dubbing as the "Matt Barkley Derby" ( I know, it's not as catchy as "Suck for Luck" but you get the idea).

I was thinking Barkley Bowl or

Play Flat for Matt.

Take your pick. ;)

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chiefs are way too talented to be in the conversation for the #1 pick at this point. They a played an explosive offense without their top pass-rusher (Hali) and their top corner (Flowers).

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have Barkley as my top QB. I think he's the most NFL ready, but he also has the most weapons. It wouldn't surprise me if another QB went ahead of him. Depending on who declares for the draft there could end up being 5 or 6 QB's taken in the first round. While i don't expect that to happen, i think it's also worth noting that Barkley isn't leaps and bounds better than the other QB's like Luck was last year. RGIII was the only one who came close IMO. Tyler Wilson, Logan Thomas, Laundry Jones, Geno Smith, Tyler Bray, and other QB's could work up into the first round as the season goes on.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chiefs are way too talented to be in the conversation for the #1 pick at this point. They a played an explosive offense without their top pass-rusher (Hali) and their top corner (Flowers).

I agree. The Chiefs are a lot better than anybody is giving them credit for. They should improve as the season goes on and once Bowe gets on track with the Offense.

I think the Bills, Cardinals, and Raiders definitely all snag a QB in the first round. The Eagles are another team to keep an eye on later in the first round.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio some host saying how starting rookie QBs will become the norm, as more NFL coaches go to the college ranks, and more high school QBs adapting to NFL style philosophies and such to make it in college play. There's a certain point where good NFL rookies would be unsustainable and veterans will make a comeback. (Some picks will bust, some will be established and thus not replaced, and some teams rarely get to that point.) There will always be 5-10 teams needing a QB. Some of those 5-10 teams seem to be perrenial.

QBs now will be replaced at a faster, slower, or the same pace as the last twenty years?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Will Barkley really be the 1st pick overall? I don't think he's all that great.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I heard on the radio some host saying how starting rookie QBs will become the norm, as more NFL coaches go to the college ranks, and more high school QBs adapting to NFL style philosophies and such to make it in college play. There's a certain point where good NFL rookies would be unsustainable and veterans will make a comeback. (Some picks will bust, some will be established and thus not replaced, and some teams rarely get to that point.) There will always be 5-10 teams needing a QB. Some of those 5-10 teams seem to be perrenial.

QBs now will be replaced at a faster, slower, or the same pace as the last twenty years?

I think faster.. With the Rookie salary slotting, the cost of gambling on a rookie QB is not as high.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Maybe not but he does have the making of the 1st QB taken off the boards next draft

I don't see a bhuge difference between Barkley, Bray, Jones & Wilson. I could see any one of 'em being the first guy off the board.

I like just about all of these guys more than I did RGIII, but if week 1 is any indication he may make me look pretty dumb. :(

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns or Dolphins are the worst 2 teams this year for me and 1 of them will draft them if can. Don't care that the Fins have Tannehill. Rookie wage scale makes just fine to have 2 QB's. Plus Barkley is much better.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Leinhart
John David Booty
Carson Palmer

...another crap quarterback from USC

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Leinhart
John David Booty
Carson Palmer

...another crap quarterback from USC

I wouldn't call Carson Palmer crap and nobody expected David Booty to do anything. Barkley has much better footwork and pocket presence than all of those guys. Barkley is easily the best QB to come out of USC so far this millennium.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we include the Rams in this list? I really hope they don't get last place. If they have the chance to trade back and gain even more ammo or get Barkley i will be pissed.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Do we include the Rams in this list? I really hope they don't get last place. If they have the chance to trade back and gain even more ammo or get Barkley i will be pissed.

I wanted to include the Rams but gave them the wait and see pass for now

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Rams playing for Barkley at all. They have Bradford - and Fisher.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Rams playing for Barkley at all. They have Bradford - and Fisher.

That's not saying much. Bradford was terrible last year. You can't tell me that they won't strongly consider taking Barkley (or another QB) if they end up with the top pick. I don't recall what Bradford's salary goes up to next year, but it's a lot.