• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The latest owners proposal for starting the season

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB owners approve plan to start season: Will players agree?

I linked the whole article, but highlighted below is only what's been proposed so far:

— A second spring training slated to begin in mid June, with Opening Day following between July 1 and July 4.

— Teams will have the choice of staging the second round of spring training at their home ballparks or at their spring training facilities in Arizona or Florida. The hope is all regular season games will be able to be played in home ballparks. If that's not possible, teams would have the choice to share a big league ballpark with another team or play their home games at their spring training facility.

— A regular season schedule of 82 games, played exclusively against division opponents and opponents from the corresponding geographic division in the other league. So, for example, the White Sox would play games against their four AL Central rivals and against the five teams from the NL Central, without seeing teams from the AL East or the AL West.

— A universal designated hitter, with nearly half the games pitting AL teams against NL teams.

— Expanded rosters, growing from 26 to 30 players per team, as well as a 20-man "taxi squad" of available minor leaguers.

— Expanded playoffs, growing the number of teams in the postseason from 10 to 14, that would be set to end in early November, as to avoid playing during a feared "second wave" of COVID-19 infections.

Trying to figure how they'll play a balanced schedule, at least a balanced home/away schedule with this specific number of games. Do they play a weighted number of games within the division and fewer against the opposing league division? And when talking 82 games, assuming that's the final number, some teams will play each other a bit more no matter how the schedule is divvied up. Quite curious how they came to this number.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would both imagine and hope that you would play YOUR divisional opponents more than the corresponding division in the other league.

It seems like a reasonable proposal and it doesn't involve the players quarantining. I would imagine they would accept. Maybe a few guys who refuse... but most will want to play.

Older umpires is another story.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy to see it, but I am pessimistic of any ball being played this year. I'm usually wrong - and that's a hopeful sign.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expanded playoffs, growing the number of teams in the postseason from 10 to 14, that would be set to end in early November, as to avoid playing during a feared "second wave" of COVID-19 infections.

That could be good for us since we'll probably be on the fringe of .500...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
show me the money what a surprise:suds:

MLBPA officials told Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic on Monday evening that a revenue-sharing pay structure is a "non-starter."
Rosenthal reported Monday afternoon that MLB owners had approved a proposal for a 2020 season possibly beginning in early July that included a 50-50 general revenue split between the players and the league's ownership groups. But that proposal still needs to be presented to the union -- there are virtual meetings scheduled for Tuesday -- and it sounds like negotiations could get testy when it comes to the economic side of things

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MLBPA officials told Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic on Monday evening that a revenue-sharing pay structure is a "non-starter."
Rosenthal reported Monday afternoon that MLB owners had approved a proposal for a 2020 season possibly beginning in early July that included a 50-50 general revenue split between the players and the league's ownership groups. But that proposal still needs to be presented to the union -- there are virtual meetings scheduled for Tuesday -- and it sounds like negotiations could get testy when it comes to the economic side of things

This is the age old argument between the players and the owners. The owners do not want to share their financial books with the players. The players say - the owners use two sets of league and team revenue books - the one they show during negotiations and the one that is actually true. If they share revenue - the books will have to be opened.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

doesn't sound like anything. they're doing exactly what you'd expect. what is it you expect?