• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Define wide open

Putting up points quickly. Stretching the field and putting together 4 play, 2 min TD drives.

It's not something I believe, just a wild theory that they'd rather be in a close game where the opposition isn't just throwing the ball around but still committed to the run game because they know that if we get in a shootout we're bringing pop guns and the other team has at least 22s.

Plus our run defense is 100000000000000 times better than our pass defense.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Putting up points quickly. Stretching the field and putting together 4 play, 2 min TD drives.

It's not something I believe, just a wild theory that they'd rather be in a close game where the opposition isn't just throwing the ball around but still committed to the run game because they know that if we get in a shootout we're bringing pop guns and the other team has at least 22s.

I don't think the way that this team is built right now that they could even attempt to run that type of offense and I don't think your theory is that wild at all.
There is no doubt that the run defense is way better but I believe that the pass d will improve as the season goes on.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think the way that this team is built right now that they could even attempt to run that type of offense and I don't think your theory is that wild at all.
There is no doubt that the run defense is way better but I believe that the pass d will improve as the season goes on.

I called it "wild" because the core idea is to not score 20 points. The idea is to take 10 minutes to drive down the field and come out of it with points. Whether it's 7 or 3 seems irrelevant.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Good: The team is 2-1. Last year this time we were 0-3.

The Bad: We have to face three pretty good teams in our next three games.

The Ugly: One word..... "offense"

hopefully ( yes Im praying ) the offense will get better as the season moves along.

As it should. I don't believe we've had a Westcoast style offense since Smith's rookie year. New offense and no training camp = bad offense.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were some spots during the game when I was like damn do they know what they are doing, but I have to say that Harbaugh does know. I may have questioned his playcall at times but I will never lose faith. Ugly wins are better than losses, I mean seriously did anyone expect to be a dominant team in the league this year

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Amen we have the 1st ranked d against the run and like 25th against the pass

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Good: Vick probably wont be playing next week and Young has a little hamstring issue. So that game got more winable
The bad and ugly are both our offense, especially the run game.

but Philly's TEAM is still better?

if we expect to win again, our own team needs to play much better. limit our own mistakes (mainly turnovers) so we have a chance.

also, 12 penalties is way too much.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you know whats bad, because our O-line isn't getting better, we'll likely stick close to the offense we're seeing?

cause if you're Harbaugh and you see poor offense, solid defense, good ST's, wouldn't you also think burn the clock with long drives, and give your D a chance? you WANT to open it up a bit, but the line isn't allowing it.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but Philly's TEAM is still better?

if we expect to win again, our own team needs to play much better. limit our own mistakes (mainly turnovers) so we have a chance.

also, 12 penalties is way too much.

I think it's accurate to say Rachal contributed a 1/4th of those...

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It seems as thought the #1 priority with most of the playcalling and gameplan is to avoid 3rd and long. Niners have been pathetic in these situations - and Smith has a strong tendency to throw short of the sticks - so to sustain drives they have to make sure its 3rd and 6 or less as often as possible with a couple sure, short plays on 1st and 2nd. Mixed success if only because the running game can't be counted on for even 3 yards/carry at this point.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It seems as thought the #1 priority with most of the playcalling and gameplan is to avoid 3rd and long. Niners have been pathetic in these situations - and Smith has a strong tendency to throw short of the sticks - so to sustain drives they have to make sure its 3rd and 6 or less as often as possible with a couple sure, short plays on 1st and 2nd. Mixed success if only because the running game can't be counted on for even 3 yards/carry at this point.

It's not a tendecy but a necessity... Defenses tend to stay back further to avoid giving up big plays... They will force the offense to take the short pass and rally to make the tackle short of the first down marker. This is done in conjuction with pressure on the QB... Even the Niner's D does this a lot... Trying to force a pass past the sticks with pressure coming and coverage deep, is a formula for turn overs...

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not necessity.......this is how every defense plays every 3rd down in football, but some QBs still make it happen. This is why 3rd down success rate is always going to be one of the top stats to look at for any QB - you know where you have to get it, the defense knows, can you pull it off.

Throwing short is a conservative play, but with a lot of 3rd downs you're just as well off taking a chance beyond the marker than playing conservative and making sure you don't turn it over.....because its basically a turnover either way, just a matter of field position. I think Smith and Harbaugh have "no turnovers" as a prime motive out there, so I understand the concept.....but their success rate with anything over 3rd and 7 is disturbing, has to improve to compete.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
harbaugh needs to be a bit more aggressive on 3rd downs. move the pocket, go out of the shotgun, spread things out, whatever. poor blocking, dropped passes, conservative play calling, poorly throw balls have all contributed to the poor 3rd downs. everyone from the coaches down is responsible.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there should be no doubt Harbaugh and Staff KNOWS they need more offense. i'm sure they don't have an explosive offense that they're PURPOSELY keeping down? but more importantly Harbaugh needs to win the game so he game plans the best way. the best way to win factors in his defense and special teams, he doesn't game plan to just show his fanciest plays.

while i don't like this offensive production, can't argue we won two games and had a good shot at the third. hate to say it but think we'll be seeing similar plays with the Eagles? our first priority is reduce our own mistakes, continue with no turnovers, reduce the penalties, increase communication, etc., until this line improves i'm not for a 'spread type' game plan.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the defense isn't good enough to win games. the secondary showed that against dallas. not to mention there isn't enough depth on the line.

its pretty obvious the offense needs changes and they started to show some things that need to be done over the past couple games. the game plan for this week needs to feature those things.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the defense isn't good enough to win games. the secondary showed that against dallas. not to mention there isn't enough depth on the line.

its pretty obvious the offense needs changes and they started to show some things that need to be done over the past couple games. the game plan for this week needs to feature those things.

Agreed...

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess it depends on how you view it. I'd say the 49ers won against the Bengals and Seahawks because of their defense. Holding the Bengals to two FGs is the Defense winning the game. Shutting the Seahawks out in the 1st half and keeping them behind the 49ers on the scoreboard all day is the Defense winning the game too.

The one loss was when the Defense collapsed... and chances are that if that freak play didn't happen with Brock tripping and giving up a TD at the end of the half, the Defense might have done just enough to beat the Cowboys. We can talk about the collapse in the 2nd half, but a freak play at the end of the half put the Cowboys back in the game... that game can almost be written off as a series of unfortunate events.

So, it seems to me like the 49ers might only win because of their defense.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess it depends on how you view it. I'd say the 49ers won against the Bengals and Seahawks because of their defense. Holding the Bengals to two FGs is the Defense winning the game. Shutting the Seahawks out in the 1st half and keeping them behind the 49ers on the scoreboard all day is the Defense winning the game too.

The one loss was when the Defense collapsed... and chances are that if that freak play didn't happen with Brock tripping and giving up a TD at the end of the half, the Defense might have done just enough to beat the Cowboys. We can talk about the collapse in the 2nd half, but a freak play at the end of the half put the Cowboys back in the game... that game can almost be written off as a series of unfortunate events.

I agree
I know the Seahawks suck and the Bengals aren't that good but the Niners PPG and YPG allowed is darn good.
The Niners offensive YPG is beyond pathetic.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or more like the d can hold up against teams lacking offensive talent...

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
or more like the d can hold up against teams lacking offensive talent...

That doesn't really change the point that the defense is the only reason they win. The offense certainly can't win putting up 200 yards per game.