• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The F1 Offseason/Silly Season Thread

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay; it's been a couple of weeks now since the 2013 campaign wrapped up at Interlagos, & here's what we know of how the grid will shape up for 2014:

Red Bull Racing: Vettel returns / Riccardo moves over from STR
Ferrari: Alonso returns / Raikkonen moves over from Lotus
Mercedes: The only front-runners keeping both of last season's wheel smiths - Hamilton & Rosberg return
Lotus: Grosjean returns / Maldonado moves over from Williams
McLaren: Button returns / Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) will be an F1 rookie
Force India: Hulkenberg moves over from Sauber / Perez moves over from McLaren
Saber: Sutil moves over from Force India / *TBA*
Scuderia Toro Rosso: Vergne retuns / Daniil Kvyat (Russia) will be an F1 rookie
Williams: Bottas returns / Massa moves over from Ferrari
Marussia: Bianchi returns / *TBA*
Caterham: *TBA* / *TBA*

Drivers who had a ride in 2013, but are not yet signed for 2014:

Di Resta (Force India) / Gutierrez (Sauber) / Chilton (Marussia) / Pic (Caterham) / van der Garde (Caterham)

... And that's where things stand ATM. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Vettel returns with any sort of form from 2013, he is going to be tough to beat-AGAIN.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad signing for Sauber. But like I stated before, all of this may be postering if Vettel returns with any of his 2013 racing acumen and that Red Bull Team.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very cool vids Indy. Perhaps the new rules on the engine and the lowering of the nose by 75 millimeters may provide parity for the first part of the season but something tells me that the folks at Red Bull are already ahead of the curve. We shall see.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is they don't have any spare cars for Pastor after he's done crash testing....

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FIA has released the Formula One car numbers for 2014. Unlike previous years, where the number was the result of the team's prior season's final WCC ranking, the drivers now get make their own choices in regards to this matter.

While this has not yet been "officially" confirmed by the team, the list would seem to indicate that Marussia has resigned Max Chilton as their 2nd driver for the 2014 campaign.

www.formula1.com

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before the teams start unveiling their 2014 cars with the new, regulation-mandated turbocharged V6 engines, let us say our last farewells to the glorious whine of normally aspirated V8s. :(

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caterham has announced their driver line-up for 2014: Kamui Kobyashi returns to F1 after a one year hiatus, & Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) moves up to F1 after four years in GP2.

Ericsson has three wins and seven other podium finishes in four GP2 seasons, never finishing above 6th in the championship standings: These are "Kobyashi-like" numbers, to be sure. Only time will tell if he's another potential diamond in the rough - and if (unlike Kobyashi, at least to this point) he can be polished.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to them....being in a Caterham. It would be nice though, if due to the new regulations, the newer teams will be able to compete more.

Or maybe they'll just keep the seat warm for Rossi, who will get a chance and will actually show promise.

Nice video link too. I think the onboard shots are awesome. I wish there were more with that type of camera...it seems like it gives more of a perspective of what it's like to drive.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to them....being in a Caterham. It would be nice though, if due to the new regulations, the newer teams will be able to compete more.

Or maybe they'll just keep the seat warm for Rossi, who will get a chance and will actually show promise.

It looks like Caterham needs to do more than just keep the seat warm for somebody else on down the road:

Fernandes: "I may pull the plug after this year"

Would be sad to see, but I can understand his frustration.

bored at work

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'oh. Hopefully he'll be okay if the only team they beat is Marussia and they get a little $ this year