• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Eagles Offense

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice thoughts on the Eagles offense. This seems like an offense that to actually be fully effective would take a few years for a quarterback and his skill players around him to actually get down with any kind of consistency. It also explains why they can rack up so many yards but honestly struggle to score points as they eliminate many of those options as they get closer to the Red Zone. Honestly the name of the game I think for today is don't give up the big play and keep everything in front of you. Vick is one of those quarterbacks that is not great at driving the length of the field without making a mistake. IF the Broncos can force the Eagles to play a little more small ball in this one they should be able to hold them pretty easily. The Broncos honestly have the perfect personnel if they can actually execute to stop an offense like this as they can have DRC go man coverage all day against Jackson and should be able to man up against most of the other options Vick has then for the most part putting more men in the box like they did against the Raiders daring them to have to beat the Broncos through the air.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be the first true test on the defense this year.

My theory on how to defend this paticular offense is a gritz blitz. Something old fashioned from the 70s. Yeah, it probably would not work, but I would try it.

Anyone that knows the defense Jerry Glanville ran with the Falcons. To this day, the 1977 Falcons defense was the most efficient defense in the history of the NFL. Yes, more so than the orange crush that year, any Steel Curtain defense, doomsday, Ravens or Bears. The 1977 Falcons, technically was the most prolific defense..

From the 4-3 (4-4) base

4-4sta2.jpeg

The 1977 Falcons grits blitz defense under Glanville.

That is what I would do. No team will, but Vick would get blown up.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kind of interesting to think how this "grits blitz" might matchup against the diagram in the piece that BtD linked in the first post, which shows all of the options that Kelly is trying to get. Glanville's scheme would have to be adjusted to account for the three WRs bunched to one side, but I do think that Kelly's offense would probably be very vulnerable to some sort of a "bringing the house" type of blitz.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vick has a real problem with the blitz. He has always had problems going to hot reads. Yes, those screens is the best way to destroy the gritz blitz.

There are such things as "run blitzes."

Cause they have those two jack rabbits (Desean and McCoy) can really cause problems with the screen packages they would call against jail break blitzes.

It would be a version of the "jail break" but more run stunts than anything else.

I personally do not think it is all that tough to confuse Vick by showing 8 or even 9 in a box.