• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Wvu 71-64

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV rolls to its 22nd win of the year tonight against a very talented Texas team 71-64. Tonight, I personally attended this contest and got a feel for the atmosphere. I would say it was pretty loud and close to compacity. As I set here in the Euro Suites after a massive Keglers Steak and Cheese sub, I do not have access to the game stats but I did get to set with some pretty sharp basketball minds tonight. We all agreed that Texas was looking for 40 minutes of the full court press but got 20 minutes of the press and a half court 1-1-3. The half court defense was funky one in that it forced the point guard to dish to the wing, most of the time. So it was a defense that Texas never figured out and in my opinion the difference in the game.

This team keeps finding ways to win and that is impressive. Now, let's see how we handle adversity on the road. 2 really tough ones coming up. Have a great evening Mountaineer fans where ever your county road has taken you.:yes::hammer:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you got to be at this one DieHard.

As a fan, I really wanted this one bad. IMO, Texas had become a mental demon for the boys. Beating them last night, should continue to help them with their confidence.

As I have said for awhile, it is a myth that a team can only beat a 2-3 by shooting the 3. Against BU, WVU beat the zone by going inside. Unfortunately, they didn't make any of the shots within feet of the rim. Last night… they finished inside. Something that has been sorely missing most of the season.

Then WVU made a few 3's… the easy ones… the ones when the shooter was wide open and could step into the shot. All possible because of the threat inside.

I thought Williams and Holton played a hell of a game.

Unbelievable how well Texas shoots the ball against WVU. Contested 3's… hit nothing but net. They won't shoot the ball that well the rest of the year.

Texas to the NIT. Barnes will be out of a job…

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching last night I was thinking that this is the perfect time of the season to find your shooting game.
Let's hope it continues. They did let Texas back in the game (or Texas got themselves back in).
But yet another run put them back on top for good. Fun to watch...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who was it that said just a week ago Wv may not win another game the rest of the year?:lol:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who was it that said just a week ago Wv may not win another game the rest of the year?:lol:

That would be me of course. It was my way of shaming the boys into playing well. Huggs went to his media... I went to mine.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be me of course. It was my way of shaming the boys into playing well. Huggs went to his media... I went to mine.

Hey, you are not alone I am sure. The team was in free-fall after losing 3 of 4.
And not just losing, but losing UGLY! I said I could see them not winning another if their level of play continued.

But luckily they have righted the ship and are sitting in a fantastic position. 3 games to go:

4:00 pm ET Sat Feb 28 ESPNU at BAYLOR
9:00 pm ET Tue Mar 3 ESPN2 at KANSAS
2:00 pm ET Sat Mar 7 OKLAST

2 tuff ones on the road and then OK St @ home - no cake walk.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, if we do win out....

There is a Chance at a Big 12 Title.

Iowa St. would have to lose 2 out of the next four... but that can happen.

How many of us truly expected to be able to say that with three games left? "NOT I", said the Cat.
images

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is bad for my heart. I truly thought I was going to have an attack watching Texas make that come back then watching them nearly hand them the game late.
I take solace that this team is still pretty young overall and I'll take a win anyway we can get it so... Nice job guys!:suds:

BTW, IMHO this conference needs to take a serious look at its officiating in the offseason. Just when I think it can't get any worse....boom. Awful awful awful

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, you are not alone I am sure. The team was in free-fall after losing 3 of 4.
And not just losing, but losing UGLY! I said I could see them not winning another if their level of play continued.

But luckily they have righted the ship and are sitting in a fantastic position. 3 games to go:

4:00 pm ET Sat Feb 28 ESPNU at BAYLOR
9:00 pm ET Tue Mar 3 ESPN2 at KANSAS
2:00 pm ET Sat Mar 7 OKLAST

2 tuff ones on the road and then OK St @ home - no cake walk.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said last week, they cannot afford to lose any more home games and they have come thru so far..they win at Baylor and home to Okie State that should get them somewhere around a 4 seed

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad you got to be at this one DieHard.

As a fan, I really wanted this one bad. IMO, Texas had become a mental demon for the boys. Beating them last night, should continue to help them with their confidence.

As I have said for awhile, it is a myth that a team can only beat a 2-3 by shooting the 3. Against BU, WVU beat the zone by going inside. Unfortunately, they didn't make any of the shots within feet of the rim. Last night… they finished inside. Something that has been sorely missing most of the season.

Then WVU made a few 3's… the easy ones… the ones when the shooter was wide open and could step into the shot. All possible because of the threat inside.

I thought Williams and Holton played a hell of a game.

Unbelievable how well Texas shoots the ball against WVU. Contested 3's… hit nothing but net. They won't shoot the ball that well the rest of the year.

Texas to the NIT. Barnes will be out of a job

If Dodds was still AD, Barnes would not have to fear for his job. With Patterson as AD, Barnes might just get fired. Texas will always be a football and baseball school first and foremost, with basketball coming in a distant 3rd, but I believe Patterson wants UT basketball to be up there with the best. I'm done with Barnes......

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a difference a week makes.....I think a lot of people thought we only had one more win on the schedule.

If we can keep shooting the ball the way we have and keep up the defensive pressure(great adjustments on the press) then this is one tough team to beat.

I must say I am impressed with the resolve of this team, couple of breaks go our way and you never know what might happen.

I remember hearing this last year and it is still impressive that Kansas has won 10 straight regular season confs titles(or whatever you call them)

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a difference a week makes.....I think a lot of people thought we only had one more win on the schedule.

If we can keep shooting the ball the way we have and keep up the defensive pressure(great adjustments on the press) then this is one tough team to beat.

I must say I am impressed with the resolve of this team, couple of breaks go our way and you never know what might happen.

I remember hearing this last year and it is still impressive that Kansas has won 10 straight regular season confs titles(or whatever you call them)
The only thing that concerns me that when the tournament comes around and they play two games in 3 days and play the way they do, shooting is going to take a toll....they better have gotten the opponent to turn the ball over 50 times in that second game!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that concerns me that when the tournament comes around and they play two games in 3 days and play the way they do, shooting is going to take a toll....they better have gotten the opponent to turn the ball over 50 times in that second game!

I will go the other way, I think we have a great advantage in the second game of the week, only two days to prepare for that pressure will take its toll. It is the first games of the week that have me worried.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets stop and think for a moment. Just like everybody on here, all of the future WV B-Ball opponents will be doing what---THINKING ABOUT HOW TO ATTACK THE PRESS. They better figure out how to attack the half court funky 1-1-3 Zone. That was a killer D on Texas because of how they play it. They are going give up the 15-16 foot corner and wing shots but they ain't going let you beat them off the dribble in the paint. I was more impressed with that adjustment than anything this team has done this year. I think they held off on it for a while but had worked on it for 3 weeks prior to the Texas game. I think we are taking baby steps here as we head down the stretch yet still not getting stale. The primary objective is still the same: Get more shots than your opponent by playing aggressive defenses. Going to be fun to see how this plays out. I still think this is a special group as they have gotten better in the last 2 weeks.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shooting is trending the right way…