• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: WVU 69 Maryland 59

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The West Virginia Mountaineers advance to the Sweet 16 after beating the Maryland Terrapins 69-59 behind a ferocious defense that forced 23 Maryland turnovers. This was by far the best WV performance this season and came at a time when the stakes could not have been higher. This was a blue collar game. A game that was very physical and the most physical team prevailed. WV knocked UMD point guard Melo Trimble out of the game in the 2nd half and coasted to the victory. Maryland was rattled by the press and played a little too fast which resulted in 8 unforced errors. When your opponents starting 5 have 16 turnovers, I would think you should easily win the game. It was evident early in this game that WV was out hustling the Terrapins as they hammered the offensive glass and ended up with 14 offensive rebounds. Again, it was the defense as Gary Browne and Jevon Carter had 11 steals.

WV had a balanced scoring attack led by Devon Williams with 16 points and Gary Browne with 14. Holton and Miles, Jr. knock down 12 each while Staton chips in 6 points and dished 6 assists. WV records 15 steals as a team. This game would have been a bigger blowout had WV capitalized on the early 2nd half turnovers but they let UMD hang around because of missing easy shots. WV shoots 40% from the field and hits 14-19 FT's while only committing 10 turnovers.

In closing, I felt early on in the season that this team was special--I still do. One hell of a test remains in Cleveland when the Mountaineers take on the undefeated and #1 ranked Wildcats of Kentucky but you cannot complain how this team has played this season. Sure, there have been bonehead mistakes, but tonight those were minimized. I think it is safe to say that it is good to see Browne and Staton back on the floor as they bring more ball security to the team. So tonight, relish the victory but know the war is not over. Hopefully we can put together a good game plan and be ready on Thursday. I think we know what that game plan is--the same one that got us to the Sweet 16---press, press, and press some more. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you this victorious evening!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin Williams is a beast, he has shown such improvement in his game this season.

I thought this game was one of the best overall games this team had played this season. Even with Maryland shooting the ball very well in the first half we hung in there with them and never let their small runs get to us. Second half effort and tenacity was something I hope they show against Kentucky. Have to give it up to Huggs and staff for in game adjustments as well, calmed the boys down and just got after it, Maryland had no chance in this game to be lazy with ball, we swarmed them.

I know a lot of my people in my office are going to talk fouls, but I believe the refs called it pretty consistent(even missing calls consistently).

Hats off to this team, really proud of the effort and will make for a pretty good day with all my terps fans.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Maryland couldn't handle Press Virginia after all. 23 TO's.

Once WVU started shooting the ball better at the end of the season, the last piece was filled in for the team. Their shooting hurt them at times before. Now they become a truly dangerous team.

Since the Buffalo performance, the talking heads can't quit talking about our press. It is taking on a life of its own. Maryland was scared. They had obsessed too long about it...and it was just one day.

Now it is UK's turn to obsess.

Last night's game could have been a 20 point blowout. And, I loved it!

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB that is a brilliant way to describe (Obsess)the "emotional strain" the WV press puts on you. The more they talk about it, the more the players will over think the solution to beat it. Maryland prepared for the WV press last week in anticipation of beating their 1st round opponent. Goes to show ya how much they like losing to WV huh? All I hear about in the DC area is how good Maryland was and how they would beat WV. In my opinion MD was soft. They didn't like the physicality of the game and it overwhelmed them. Miles, Jr. had Wells ready to take a swing at him. Wells was held under 10pts. and had 8 turnovers.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be an upset if we beat UK, but if anybody can it could be us in the Sweet 16 game.

The perception of the Big 12 has taken a hit the past couple rounds of the tournament, but if WVU can pull this off and if Oklahoma takes care of business in the East Bracket, that could be a distant memory by next weekend. Two teams in the Final Four offsets only two teams in the Sweet 16 out of seven.

We can do it! LET'S GOOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The West Virginia Mountaineers advance to the Sweet 16 after beating the Maryland Terrapins 69-59 behind a ferocious defense that forced 23 Maryland turnovers. This was by far the best WV performance this season and came at a time when the stakes could not have been higher. This was a blue collar game. A game that was very physical and the most physical team prevailed. WV knocked UMD point guard Melo Trimble out of the game in the 2nd half and coasted to the victory. Maryland was rattled by the press and played a little too fast which resulted in 8 unforced errors. When your opponents starting 5 have 16 turnovers, I would think you should easily win the game. It was evident early in this game that WV was out hustling the Terrapins as they hammered the offensive glass and ended up with 14 offensive rebounds. Again, it was the defense as Gary Browne and Jevon Carter had 11 steals.

WV had a balanced scoring attack led by Devon Williams with 16 points and Gary Browne with 14. Holton and Miles, Jr. knock down 12 each while Staton chips in 6 points and dished 6 assists. WV records 15 steals as a team. This game would have been a bigger blowout had WV capitalized on the early 2nd half turnovers but they let UMD hang around because of missing easy shots. WV shoots 40% from the field and hits 14-19 FT's while only committing 10 turnovers.

In closing, I felt early on in the season that this team was special--I still do. One hell of a test remains in Cleveland when the Mountaineers take on the undefeated and #1 ranked Wildcats of Kentucky but you cannot complain how this team has played this season. Sure, there have been bonehead mistakes, but tonight those were minimized. I think it is safe to say that it is good to see Browne and Staton back on the floor as they bring more ball security to the team. So tonight, relish the victory but know the war is not over. Hopefully we can put together a good game plan and be ready on Thursday. I think we know what that game plan is--the same one that got us to the Sweet 16---press, press, and press some more. Have a great day Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you this victorious evening!

Not sure if we were watching the same game or games...Wv continues to miss uncontested layups and not just one! every single game!...mind boggling!..for a team that as a group doesn't shoot the rock very well..those misses are huge!....BTW how soft is Melo Trimble?? Was that kid really sitting at the end of the bench crying for an entire half??........Williams was a beast last night...hope the Refs let him play next weekend.....if not Wv will get blown out.......

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anotherfans thoughts

Officiating: Give us B12 officials and Maryland takes 20 more free throws and Holton and Williams foul out. I like to see officials not being the deciding factor in the game. There were fouls galore on both teams that were not called. As the tournament progresses, I expect even looser and looser non calls by the officials. This is a big boost for Press Virginia.

Huggins- Come were saying the game has passed him up (myself included). He is a genius! This poor shooting team could not progress this far without Huggs and his defensive vision. He always wanted to play Defense. When the rules regarding fouls were changed, his style of play was outlawed. Huggs changed his style, and it has reaped great benefits. Nobody, except maybe Die Hard himself, would have predicted that this team make it so far. Huggs is probably a hall of fame coach right now. Beat Kentucky, seal the deal!

If we can get Cauley Stein to throw a punch early on and get ejected, we could end up beating Kentucky. it would take better than perfect game to win, but stranger things have happened in this game. We would be Americas favorite to win the tourney if we somehow pull off the miracle.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After they showed Trimble's mom at his side, and the on-court reporter learned he was going to be kept out of the remainder of the game... I figured he was crying because he wanted to play so badly.

Either way... it wasn't a good look.

Reminded me of when Daryl Worley was seen crying on the sideline of one of this past year's games...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After they showed Trimble's mom at his side, and the on-court reporter learned he was going to be kept out of the remainder of the game... I figured he was crying because he wanted to play so badly.

Either way... it wasn't a good look.

Reminded me of when Daryl Worley was seen crying on the sideline of one of this past year's games...
I'm not doubting the kid was hurt...but it looked like after taking that hit on the screen he was cooked!...Love listening to all the rhetoric here in Maryland about how Wv plays

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen to the TV guys. WVU only won because of the injury to Trimble. Terps would have won by 50 had he not been hurt.