• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Diehard Breakdown: Baylor 78 WVU 66

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have ever ran a 6 cylinder car on 5 spark plugs, you will notice a significant difference in the performance of the car. WV started today's game without Jawan Staton and 3 minutes into the game, Gary Browne goes down with a leg injury. Needless to say, the performance of this team today was off. Losing those 2 players is like losing your starting QB and your back up in the same game. Yet, the young squad left on the floor never stopped trying to win the game and fought and scraped til the last possession.

Baylor is another very tough match up for WV because they are long and shoot the 3 ball well (8-15 today). WV got down 20 points in this game but came back to cut it to 9 in second half. Yet, when they had a chance to cut it to 7, they turn it over. WV commits 13 TO's while the Bears commit only 8. Hardly a recipe for success with this WV team. Carter starts today and plays a lot of minutes while scoring 25 points on 8-16 shooting and 7-13 from downtown. Miles has 11 and Macon 9. WV wins the rebounding battle 39-31 including 20 offensive rebounds but it wasn't enough to win this game.

In conclusion, if there ever was a "good loss", today was it. We found out some things today, and with a healthy Staton and Browne, this loss will make this team better. We found out who the real scorer on this team is--it is Javon Carter. Carter has 5 TO's today because he had to play the point. Paige and Phillips kept turning it over so WV had no choice there. We also gave the younger players more minutes today in a game that made them deal with adversity. For the most part, I thought they handled that as well as to be expected. But we need for them to be in this situation now, not in 3 weeks. I am beginning to believe Billy Dee Williams can also be a scorer as well and needs more minutes. He has a pretty stroke and good rotation on his shot. He just needs minutes right now. So, the loss wasn't so bad when you think of it in these terms. Let's just hope Staton gets back quick and Browne is not out for the year. Browne got an ankle rolled on by a 260lb Rico Gathers and it did not look good. I immediately had a Joe Thiesman flashback. Have a good evening Mountaineer fans wherever your country road has taken you!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This loss was not at all unexpected, but how it played out will pay dividends down the stretch. I hope Brown isnt out for the rest of the year, that could hurt the team, however the other kids showed their heart, playing in a rough place on the road with two of the best players out, behind big, and fight back. No shame in this loss.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huggs said Browne may have a high ankle sprain. Are those the more difficult type to recover from? If so, I feel really badly for him. What a tough way to end your senior season.

Without Wanny to start the game and Browne going down just 3 minutes into it, I have to admit.... some of the first half was difficult to watch. So many passes looked like they were thrown directly to the Baylor defenders.

The 2nd half was better, but once again Williams and others failed to finish shots at the rim.

Baylor looks like a really good team. Proud of the effort the kids played with today. Hate losing one of our best defenders in Browne. Time for one of the JUCO's to step up their game. Their opportunity of a lifetime is right there in front of them. Go get it!

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This loss was not at all unexpected, but how it played out will pay dividends down the stretch. I hope Brown isnt out for the rest of the year, that could hurt the team, however the other kids showed their heart, playing in a rough place on the road with two of the best players out, behind big, and fight back. No shame in this loss.
Agree, hate the bad luck but this could be a blessing in disguise later on if everyone gets healthy.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd expect Gary Brown to be back by the NCAA tournament. He'll likely be out two weeks, which are the last two regular season games and the Big 12 Tournament. Hopefully we can beat Oky St. without him; I see that as an important seed game for the Big Dance for us.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring upsets, by the way, it's looking like WVU and Oklahoma as a 4 seed versus 5 seed Big 12 Tournament opener.... Thoughts?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the results of this week, WVU could face either BU, ISU or OU in the first round of the Big 12 tourney. All 3 are really good match ups for WVU. They lost twice to BU and ISU...3 of these by huge margins. And lost the last time they met OU by a huge margin.

Have to like their chances for a deep run in the conference tourney.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas did WVU a HUGE favor today, and Oklahoma is pitching in as well, IF we can win one of the two remaining games, we just may be the three seed!!!!! Win them both and we ARE the three!!!! If Oklahoma holds on and wins today, they are in command of the two seed.