• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 49er Sports SportsHoopla English, Grammar, Pronunciation, and Usage Thread

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm inviting Crimson, Toby Tyler, and IMAC to start it off and get us going. Just to be controversial -- there are many things in the english language that are technically correct that sound terrible. The prohibition on ending a sentence with a preposition is one of those mythical rules that is a perfect example.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm inviting Crimson, Toby Tyler, and IMAC to start it off and get us going. Just to be controversial -- there are many things in the english language that are technically correct that sound terrible. The prohibition on ending a sentence with a preposition is one of those mythical rules that is a perfect example.

The one I hate the most; my all time pet peeve is "I could care less". It drives me crazy because when people use it, they are saying exactly the opposite of what they mean.

A close second for me is "irregardless". Arghh!!!!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
"Conversate" is not a real word. It's a fake word made up out of ignorance.

The word is converse.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pet peeve is when people mispronounce comparable as "compare" + "able", totally wrong. Or when they say "alluded to" when they're not insinuating or implying anything.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pet peeve is when people mispronounce comparable as "compare" + "able", totally wrong. Or when they say "alluded to" when they're not insinuating or implying anything.

Another one is the difference between infer and imply and when to use which.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Conversate" is not a real word. It's a fake word made up out of ignorance.

The word is converse.

And you can put the emphasis on the "con" part of the word and have a completely different meaning.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The word "hopefully" doesn't mean (or didn't until people constantly misused it) "I hope." It means full of hope.

"Hopefully the girl will go out with me." That doesn't mean I hope the girl will go out with me. It means the girl will go out with me, and she'll be full of hope while I regale her with tales of successful NFL draft evaluations.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word "hopefully" doesn't mean (or didn't until people constantly misused it) "I hope." It means full of hope.

"Hopefully the girl will go out with me." That doesn't mean I hope the girl will go out with me. It means the girl will go out with me, and she'll be full of hope.

Word meanings change depending on their popular usage.

Also, we create words all of the time out of mistaken usage.

For example, the original word for a single little green thing that comes in a pod was "pease." The plural was "peases." Over time, however, it got to where "pea" became singular, and "peas" became plural.

That's the fun of English. Other languages, like French, are more protective of their language.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's the fun of English. Other languages, like French, are more protective of their language.

Ah the French. Ask 'em to protect their borders from invasion, and they law down like a groupie on rohypnol. But try to change that language and they'll bury you under a pile of cigarettes, wine bottles & unwashed clothing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto.
Let's call the whole thing off

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me I can't stand all the new text shorthand. Texting and twitter are making a joke of the English language.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me I can't stand all the new text shorthand. Texting and twitter are making a joke of the English language.

+1. That's what started this whole thread when we ran afoul of the 140 characters or less crowd in the "Who cares what hat Kaepernick wears" thread.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That pronunciation isn't wrong. Different regions will have different dialects. Much like composite being pronounced COMposite some place, and comPOSite in others.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another one is the difference between infer and imply and when to use which.

Infer can be a synonym for imply. Infer can, in essence, mean both sides of the imply/infer duality. If you say something vague, I can infer meaning from it, but if you imply something, it can also be said that you are inferring it (making inferences).

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Infer can be a synonym for imply. Infer can, in essence, mean both sides of the imply/infer duality. If you say something vague, I can infer meaning from it, but if you imply something, it can also be said that you are inferring it (making inferences).

This isn't accurate.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

"Hopefully the girl will go out with me." That doesn't mean I hope the girl will go out with me. It means the girl will go out with me, and she'll be full of hope while I regale her with tales of successful NFL draft evaluations.

Yes, but if we re-structure your sentence, without changing any words, we can get "The girl will hopefully go out with me."

This sentence means that I am full of hope that the girl will go out with me.

Even in your example, it means "She will hope" as a future tense, and on the date "she hopes" or "she is hoping."