• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 40-Man Roster for 2014

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig only played in 23 games in 2012 (rookie and A+) and 40 games (in AA) in the minors before joining the roster. It could be argued that he should've stuck with the club out of spring training. He actually hit better in the bigs than he did in AA.

Garcia only had one appearance last year (in A+) and 35 appearances this year at AA and AAA before getting a cup of coffee with the Dodgers in September.

Will Guerrero play in any of the winter leagues? It may be too late at this point.

By the way, ESPN is expecting Guerrero to be the opening day 2B as well:

Los Angeles Dodgers, Cuban defector Alexander Guerrero agree to four-year deal - ESPN Los Angeles

One thing in that story that struck me as awkward: "Guerrero, 5-foot-11, 205 pounds, was granted free agency in July but was not unblocked by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control until Friday." People are considered foreign assets?

Yes Guerrero will play winter ball according to what Ned said in the Press Conference on monday.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many of Puig's games were played in AA, which is equivalent to Cuba according to you, when he came back from a year off and tore it up, then he broke out in spring training. I was high on him too the moment we signed him. I'll give you that Puig is a freak and the expectations can't be as high on Guerrero as they were on Puig, it's just plain unfair to do that. Ryu did have international success but many of the top players don't go to the WBC, and Korea is considered even worse than Cuba if I'm thinking correctly?

Anyway, based on what I've seen from him I find it hard to believe it will be that tough for him, especially if he tries anywhere close to as hard as Puig tried this past season. Sillas is right though, every player stands on his own and I guess we'll find out next season.

What did you see and where? Was he good at 2nd?

Puig only played in 23 games in 2012 (rookie and A+) and 40 games (in AA) in the minors before joining the roster. It could be argued that he should've stuck with the club out of spring training. He actually hit better in the bigs than he did in AA.

Garcia only had one appearance last year (in A+) and 35 appearances this year at AA and AAA before getting a cup of coffee with the Dodgers in September.

Will Guerrero play in any of the winter leagues? It may be too late at this point.

By the way, ESPN is expecting Guerrero to be the opening day 2B as well:

Los Angeles Dodgers, Cuban defector Alexander Guerrero agree to four-year deal - ESPN Los Angeles

One thing in that story that struck me as awkward: "Guerrero, 5-foot-11, 205 pounds, was granted free agency in July but was not unblocked by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control until Friday." People are considered foreign assets?

So with 63 games in the minors (plus Spring Training) being the template set by Puig, it stands to reason that Guerrero is a likely candidate to start the season in AA, no? Especially considering that he must learn a new position (something Puig did not need to do).

Obviously I'd prefer this guy to be an immediately slick fielder in Winter Ball and Spring Training while lighting pitchers up from the plate, I'm just not going to be surprised when that doesn't happen.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you see and where? Was he good at 2nd?

So with 63 games in the minors (plus Spring Training) being the template set by Puig, it stands to reason that Guerrero is a likely candidate to start the season in AA, no? Especially considering that he must learn a new position (something Puig did not need to do).

Obviously I'd prefer this guy to be an immediately slick fielder in Winter Ball and Spring Training while lighting pitchers up from the plate, I'm just not going to be surprised when that doesn't happen.

You're right Villain, it's going to take him a year to decipher the rocket science that is switching over from SS to 2nd base :rollseyes: I'm going to start disagreeing with you more just so I can watch you fly off the handle lol.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right Villain, it's going to take him a year to decipher the rocket science that is switching over from SS to 2nd base :rollseyes: I'm going to start disagreeing with you more just so I can watch you fly off the handle lol.

I didn't say I expected him to play all year in the minors. I said he'll probably start in the minors.

But nope, no question marks here. Also, 2nd base isn't rocket science so that's probably why they never move better hitters with poor defense to that positions. You know, like outfielders, third baseman, etc.

You're on to something. OF problem: solved. Move Kemp to 2B and keep Ethier is center. :doh:

Guerrero can play third. No need to resign Uribe. It's not rocket science.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say I expected him to play all year in the minors. I said he'll probably start in the minors.

But nope, no question marks here. Also, 2nd base isn't rocket science so that's probably why they never move better hitters with poor defense to that positions. You know, like outfielders, third baseman, etc.

You're on to something. OF problem: solved. Move Kemp to 2B and keep Ethier is center. :doh:

Guerrero can play third. No need to resign Uribe. It's not rocket science.

You would have a good point if Kemp was a SS or if 3rd base didn't require a stronger arm.

And I didn't say there were no question marks I said I didn't think it was that big of a question mark.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're better than this Villain! Where are your 5 paragraphs over a trivial argument?

I just hope you're being intentionally dumb to bait me for entertainment. Otherwise... :doh:

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bumping this thread since it's funny to read again. Which one of us was the most wrong?

:whistle:

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My posts were pretty bad lol, hard to believe that was only a few months ago.

But I do think Guerrero is ready to be the starter, Dee just outplayed him.

Last edited by a moderator: