• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 14 picks line is a bunch of malarkey

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would too, but we have the 31st pick or round 1, the second to the last pick? this won't get us a mid 2nd rounder plus a 1st next season.

certainly hope this draft helps restock our defense.

Why not? Teams expecting to have a playoff draft slot next year might be willing to make such a trade, especially if there is a player at 31 they really want - seems plausible to me.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just saw this in Clayton's mailbag, referring to the Bills:

I think they will end up with Ryan Nassib at quarterback with a trade up from the second round into the late first round.

It would make a lot of sense for the Niners to try to make this sort of a trade with an eye to next year. I'd seriously consider trading #31 for the Bills' first rounder next year and say their third-round choice (#71), or for the Bills' second-rounder (#41) and their second next year. Either would set us up very nicely for next year.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they will end up with Ryan Nassib at quarterback with a trade up from the second round into the late first round.

It would make a lot of sense for the Niners to try to make this sort of a trade with an eye to next year. I'd seriously consider trading #31 for the Bills' first rounder next year and say their third-round choice (#71), or for the Bills' second-rounder (#41) and their second next year. Either would set us up very nicely for next year.

I agree. I could easily see this as a possible situation. Especially with Arizona, Cleveland, Philly, and Buffalo right behind them in the 2nd round. Those are all teams who may be willing to trade up.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if we can swing it i'd like to see us trade both available 7ths for 2 future 6th round picks. And then do the same with the 6th rounder to get a future 5th. I like the idea of stocking up year after year for future drafts and taking advantage of the comp pick system for our current picks.

:agree:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like that strategy too. Any opportunity to get more picks in 2014 is a good one IMO (especially first rounders). THAT is the draft in which I want the Niners to trade up.

In fact, I hope the Niners trade either the 31st or the 34th in order to get a first next year & a late 2nd this year (or 1st in 2014 & an early 3rd & maybe a 4th or 5th).

I don't like the idea trading a first for a first. I like trading our 2nd for a first in 2014 though. That's how we had the extra pick for Anthony Davis or was it the Mike Iupati pick? Anyway, there's no real fun in trading a first for a first. Why would I trade our 31st pick in 2013 to a team like the Patriots per se when the Pats usually end up making the playoffs and going far in the playoffs too. Which means that in 2014 we would still end up having yet another late first round pick. So fast forward to 2014 what would we do with our two late first round picks (ours and the Pats)? Do you think they would be enough to move up in the top 10? I'd rather stay put and use our 31st overall pick than to trade it for a 2014 pick. However, I would be open to trade one of our 2nd round picks for a 2014 first round pick.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't like the idea trading a first for a first. I like trading our 2nd for a first in 2014 though.

Well, those picks are 3 picks apart. Unless you mean the 63rd pick?

I like trading out of th first (and getting a 1st in 2014 & another pick like a late 2nd or early 3rd & change) because I think the best value in this draft is gonna be around 45 to 75.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why not? Teams expecting to have a playoff draft slot next year might be willing to make such a trade, especially if there is a player at 31 they really want - seems plausible to me.

obviously, can't say 100% it won't happen, but i'd bet the farm it won't given the chance?

teams normally trade their high 2nd round picks for a future 1st rounder. we did this on both ends with Staley and Iupati (i think it was him?).

granted, our 31st is a round 1 pick, but as the second to last pick of round 1, its close to a high 2nd. the 31st pick doesn't warrant an additional MID 2nd rounder on top of a 1st rounder? don't think it even warrants a 2nd rounder period?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree. I could easily see this as a possible situation. Especially with Arizona, Cleveland, Philly, and Buffalo right behind them in the 2nd round. Those are all teams who may be willing to trade up.

no argument they'd want to trade up, but not for that price. we've read how deep this class is, so why give up THAT much to move to 31st?

so agree it is possible, but LOW possibility.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
the 31st pick doesn't warrant an additional MID 2nd rounder on top of a 1st rounder? don't think it even warrants a 2nd rounder period?

A mid 2nd? Probably not. But I think a move from 31 down to the 60-70 range warrants a 1st in 2014.

I would love a team like the Browns to get all confident in themselves & make that trade thinking they'll be good next year & then fall flat on their faces.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yeah, this would be great for us, we wouldn't hesitate a second to "seriously consider"?

but if i'm Buffalo i'd only offer my 2014 1st rounder, which will likely be top half of the draft? that is a lot in itself compared to the 31st, so wouldn't include a 2nd too.

IF they were considering a QB that seriously, they should take him with their 1st rounder.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, those picks are 3 picks apart. Unless you mean the 63rd pick?

I like trading out of th first (and getting a 1st in 2014 & another pick like a late 2nd or early 3rd & change) because I think the best value in this draft is gonna be around 45 to 75.

That makes more sense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't like the idea trading a first for a first. I like trading our 2nd for a first in 2014 though. That's how we had the extra pick for Anthony Davis or was it the Mike Iupati pick? Anyway, there's no real fun in trading a first for a first. Why would I trade our 31st pick in 2013 to a team like the Patriots per se when the Pats usually end up making the playoffs and going far in the playoffs too. Which means that in 2014 we would still end up having yet another late first round pick. So fast forward to 2014 what would we do with our two late first round picks (ours and the Pats)? Do you think they would be enough to move up in the top 10? I'd rather stay put and use our 31st overall pick than to trade it for a 2014 pick. However, I would be open to trade one of our 2nd round picks for a 2014 first round pick.

they would consider a 1st for a 1st if the trade partner is projected to do poorly? cause the 2014 1st would be top half and maybe top 10? this is a big difference from 'second to the last'.

granted the team wanting to trade up will likely throw in another pick now, just not their 2nd rounder.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Depends on whose calling for that 1st round pick. If it was the Pats in your example I would want more than just a 1st for a 2014 1st.

But if it's a team that's middle of the road or worse I would do a 1st for a 1st 2014 1st in a heartbeat.

Like I said in an earlier post you might luck out and wind up with a late 20s pick but you also might hit it big and get a top 10 pick. Injuries happen, teams that are expected to do well slip, and etc.

We would only lose on the trade if the team wins the SB so odds are stacked heavily in your favor on winning in that trade.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I'm actually hoping Barkley slips because I think his market at the end of the 1st will be hot.

If he gets past the Jets at 9 he's in for a big slide because pretty much every team after the Jets is set with young QB talent so I can see a fight to get back into the 1st to grab him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, this would be great for us, we wouldn't hesitate a second to "seriously consider"?

but if i'm Buffalo i'd only offer my 2014 1st rounder, which will likely be top half of the draft? that is a lot in itself compared to the 31st, so wouldn't include a 2nd too.

IF they were considering a QB that seriously, they should take him with their 1st rounder.

The scenario I presented had them trading their first next year and a third this year, not a second this year. A second isn't very realistic. At third is just about right looking both at the trade chart and at recent draft trades in that area.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I really want to trade out of the 1st and get a 2014 1st round pick. It seems like non of the safeties are getting 1st round grades and the impact D Linemen will be gone by 31 and both TEs might fall out of the 1st so I hope we trade out and maybe have a chance to get Clowney next year.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
More like trading Tolzien for Clowney

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The scenario I presented had them trading their first next year and a third this year, not a second this year. A second isn't very realistic. At third is just about right looking both at the trade chart and at recent draft trades in that area.

oh ok, sorry i read it wrong.

49ers 31st for Bills 2014 1st rounder + 3rd rounder

or

49ers 31st for Bills 2nd rounder + 2014 2nd rounder

if i'm the Bills, i'd give up the two 2nd's versus 1st and 3rd. cause my 2014 1st rounder might be top 10?