• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 14 picks line is a bunch of malarkey

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners technically have 14 picks, but it's not like they have this enormous cache of trading power. 4 of those picks are in the 7th round, and maybe 1 of those guys will even make the roster (if they're lucky). Probably none of them will. 2 of those 4 are compensatory, so they can't even be traded. So they're most likely worthless.

Another is a 6th rounder (180th), who probably wouldn't make the roster eiter. If the Niners traded both tradeable 7th's and the 6th, it would be about enough trading power to move from the late 3rd (93) about 6 or 7 spots up. And the guy they wanted there may have fallen to 93 anwyay. It's better than nothing, but it's still close to nothing. And that would leave the team with 9 picks of any significance.

Also, I've come to see that this is a very deep draft, and there aren't a lot of can't-miss impact players in the first round this year. My point is that every pick in the 5th round & higher will probably be a guy who has a good shot at contributing in the long term. So having "14 picks" isn't necessarily a good reason to trade up in the first round. I think it's a good reason to trade up in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if we can swing it i'd like to see us trade both available 7ths for 2 future 6th round picks. And then do the same with the 6th rounder to get a future 5th. I like the idea of stocking up year after year for future drafts and taking advantage of the comp pick system for our current picks.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Niners technically have 14 picks, but it's not like they have this enormous cache of trading power. 4 of those picks are in the 7th round, and maybe 1 of those guys will even make the roster (if they're lucky). Probably none of them will. 2 of those 4 are compensatory, so they can't even be traded. So they're most likely worthless.

Another is a 6th rounder (180th), who probably wouldn't make the roster eiter. If the Niners traded both tradeable 7th's and the 6th, it would be about enough trading power to move from the late 3rd (93) about 6 or 7 spots up. And the guy they wanted there may have fallen to 93 anwyay. It's better than nothing, but it's still close to nothing. And that would leave the team with 9 picks of any significance.

Also, I've come to see that this is a very deep draft, and there aren't a lot of can't-miss impact players in the first round this year. My point is that every pick in the 5th round & higher will probably be a guy who has a good shot at contributing in the long term. So having "14 picks" isn't necessarily a good reason to trade up in the first round. I think it's a good reason to trade up in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th rounds if anything.

All teams have late-round picks that aren't worth much, though. The Niners have two picks in every round from the second through the fifth. As of right now, they can take a draft's worth of players in the first four rounds. That's a lot of value in any draft, and especially in a top-light, deep draft like this year's. I tend to agree that I wouldn't trade up very high in the first. I think they'll be pretty active working the middle rounds, though, and trying to trade into next year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree which is I want them to trade up to around 44 overall with the surplus of picks they have from the third round on. They could potentially have one 1st and three 2nds to go with the comp picks.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
if we can swing it i'd like to see us trade both available 7ths for 2 future 6th round picks. And then do the same with the 6th rounder to get a future 5th. I like the idea of stocking up year after year for future drafts and taking advantage of the comp pick system for our current picks.

I like that strategy too. Any opportunity to get more picks in 2014 is a good one IMO (especially first rounders). THAT is the draft in which I want the Niners to trade up.

In fact, I hope the Niners trade either the 31st or the 34th in order to get a first next year & a late 2nd this year (or 1st in 2014 & an early 3rd & maybe a 4th or 5th).

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think the focus will be trading off picks for the 2014 draft. If we can come away with an extra 1st rounder in 2014 I would say that's a huge win for Baalke.

The problem with this draft is the same as it was in the last draft in that our starting roster is all but set and we're drafting too late in rounds to draft the big impact guys that would be upgrades over our current starters.

The only thing I would say we NEED and have to get is a starting Safety. Everything else falls into the nice to have and need later category.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the idea of trading entirely out of the 1st round this year (might not be any willing trade partners though), and then trading one of our 2nd round picks for a 1st next year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really like the idea of trading entirely out of the 1st round this year (might not be any willing trade partners though), and then trading one of our 2nd round picks for a 1st next year.

A lot of teams like to sneak back into the end of the 1st round especially with the new format because you ensure that you get the player rather than risk waiting till the next day and maybe someone beating you to the punch in a trade.

My dream scenario would be to trade our 31st and 34th picks for 1st rounders in 2014 and have 3 1st round picks in that draft.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of teams like to sneak back into the end of the 1st round especially with the new format because you ensure that you get the player rather than risk waiting till the next day and maybe someone beating you to the punch in a trade.

My dream scenario would be to trade our 31st and 34th picks for 1st rounders in 2014 and have 3 1st round picks in that draft.

Big I think if we trade out of the 1st we get a 1st next year unless we trade something like a mid 2nd and a 4th this year. Which I wouldn't mind.

Jikkle I would like too have 3 1st rounders to try & get Clowney but not sure if we would make that trade.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jikkle I would like too have 3 1st rounders to try & get Clowney but not sure if we would make that trade.

I'd do it in a second. Aldon & Clowney? Bradford, Wilson & whoever's QB in Arizona would immediately announce their retirements from football. That would be a pass-rush the likes of which you only see about once a decade.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think everyone knows they aren't adding 14 players, 7 picks last year and lets be honest that if Hunter didn't get hurt... none of them would have done anything of significance. The funny thing is that once LMJ finally cracked the stacked roster, he showed that he could play even though many here called him a bust... but we never would have seen that if Hunter stayed healthy. Which leaves me optimism for AJ Jenkins, I still hope he can do something once he gets a real chance to play... dropping the one and only pass thrown his way isn't impressive and obviously it also isn't a real opportunity to show what he can or cannot do at this level.

With that in mind, the team now has holes at NT and FS, with a lot of room for improvement at SS, CB, WR, and C. Sometimes the bad teams would rather go for bulk than quality, so hopefully the 49ers can package those late round picks as icing on the cake to trade up. Hopefully Baalke works his magic and finds the GMs who want to trade in bulk... otherwise the 49ers are picking 10 guys who won't survive the cuts come training camp.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade a couple of picks for Revis

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Essentially, the Niners have 2 more picks than usual (the 131st & the 157th). And they're all late picks because they were in the SB. It's not a ton of trading ammo.

And if the Jets want anywhere near the 13th pick for Revis, they can eat a big ol' fat one.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I think we would be willing to make that trade but the biggest issue is the team that's in position to draft Clowney probably wouldn't pass on drafting him.

The 3 1st rounders is appealing to me because we're taking a 31st and 34th and flipping them for picks with higher value and a chance to draft bigger impact.

The only way we "lose" is if the team we trade our 31st to wins the SB and we win no matter what on the 34th pick.

I'll take that dice roll any day of the week. Sure we might end up with 3 picks in the 20's or we might win big and have 2 picks in the top 10.

Our 777 lighting strikes the same place 3 times scenario is if we end up with picks 1, 2, and 32 in 2014 so we could draft Clowney at 1, trade 2 for a draft fortune, and do whatever with 32.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well I think everyone knows they aren't adding 14 players, 7 picks last year and lets be honest that if Hunter didn't get hurt... none of them would have done anything of significance. The funny thing is that once LMJ finally cracked the stacked roster, he showed that he could play even though many here called him a bust... but we never would have seen that if Hunter stayed healthy. Which leaves me optimism for AJ Jenkins, I still hope he can do something once he gets a real chance to play... dropping the one and only pass thrown his way isn't impressive and obviously it also isn't a real opportunity to show what he can or cannot do at this level.

With that in mind, the team now has holes at NT and FS, with a lot of room for improvement at SS, CB, WR, and C. Sometimes the bad teams would rather go for bulk than quality, so hopefully the 49ers can package those late round picks as icing on the cake to trade up. Hopefully Baalke works his magic and finds the GMs who want to trade in bulk... otherwise the 49ers are picking 10 guys who won't survive the cuts come training camp.

We lost our second and fourth WR too, though. And we had Ted Ginn. We basically relied exclusively on Crabtree and Moss at the WR position. Jenkins had every opportunity to play, he just couldn't get on the field. Obviously it's still too early to give up on him, but it's not as if he was buried on the depth chart.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Essentially, the Niners have 2 more picks than usual (the 131st & the 157th). And they're all late picks because they were in the SB. It's not a ton of trading ammo.

And if the Jets want anywhere near the 13th pick for Revis, they can eat a big ol' fat one.

Huh? What about the 34th pick? The have two picks in every round from 2-5. Those are four additional picks with very good to decent value. I'm certainly not saying that they should package a bunch of picks for Revis, but you're acting as if we're set up only marginally better than a standard draft. That's just not close to true.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

not a cache of picks relative to what? which NFL teams would prefer their "cache" of draft picks over ours?

not worried if Baalke trades up in the 1st, or mid rounds? either way will work and it depends on how the board falls? if someone he REALLY like starts to fall round 1, go get him.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to trade our 1st round pick for a mid 2nd this year and a 1st round pick next year. I still think this is a good draft to help rebuild our defensive depth.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd love to trade our 1st round pick for a mid 2nd this year and a 1st round pick next year. I still think this is a good draft to help rebuild our defensive depth.

i would too, but we have the 31st pick or round 1, the second to the last pick? this won't get us a mid 2nd rounder plus a 1st next season.

certainly hope this draft helps restock our defense.