• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

...... Texpectations

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, last year's Big 12 leaders, OU and KSU, both graduated QBs.
This year Texas is a veteran team, has hometown hero Major calling the offense, and doesn't have a brand spanking new DC calling plays.
There are only two other teams in the Big 12 really to speak of:
TCU's QB breaks his arm.
Okie State is about to be mired in media scrutiny and sanctions.

It is more than just conceivable that Texas could run the schedule and end up in the NCG... very easily in fact.

And then we go and dump in Provo?
Heck, even if we're having a bad/flat night, why not just do a simple adjustment: stack the box and just start pushing the line [daring them to throw]?

Effing ridiculous.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have been hearing, Manny was told BEFORE the game to do exactly that: stack the box and dare them to pass. From Robinson no less, who was an "advisor".

For reasons only he knows, he disregarded this very sound advice and went with a 4-2-5 lineup. He POSSIBLY could have gotten away with it if he had assigned a DB to spy the QB, but he didn't even do that.

That makes the failure even worse. Not sure I understand what firing Major will accomplish. He's not coaching the OL.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw some more pesos at it.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh look. A Texas thread.

#unique

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I have been hearing, Manny was told BEFORE the game to do exactly that: stack the box and dare them to pass. From Robinson no less, who was an "advisor".

For reasons only he knows, he disregarded this very sound advice and went with a 4-2-5 lineup. He POSSIBLY could have gotten away with it if he had assigned a DB to spy the QB, but he didn't even do that.

That makes the failure even worse. Not sure I understand what firing Major will accomplish. He's not coaching the OL.

Awful playcalling would be my guess.....

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's the TALENT! THEY'RE UNINSPIRED!
NO...it's the COACHING! THEY'RE INEPT!
YOU'RE ALL WRONG...IT'S THE PLAYCALLING! GREG DAVIS ARRRRGGGHHHHH!
CLAP-CLAP-CLAP

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd really like some details on this.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://twitter.com/max_olson/statuses/377584069334155264

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awful playcalling would be my guess.....

No playcall is going to work if the OL doesn't hold up their end. I watched on multiple occassions Walters, Cochran, and Espy get beat by a defender with ONE HAND......I watched Walters get pushed and then blown by several times. RARELY did any of these three even get a HAND on the defender to block or move them, or even misdirect them or slow them down.

As long as that happens the playcalls don't matter one iota.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd really like some details on this.

I'll try to get some specifics. But basically Robinson was at every practice and giving scouting reports, etc to Manny on schemes en sech

Manny took all that in allegedly, and then did basically the exact opposite - and failed to adjust when it wasn't working.

Im also hearing Mack didn't make the call to fire Manny, he was ordered to. That makes sense as Mack really isn't the type to fire anyone during the season. I think we're just seeing the tip of the iceberg right now.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot speak on the play-calling as I did not watch the game. There is a difference between bad play-calling and not being able to execute because the QB is thrown out of rhythm/chased, or the RBs meet the defenders consistently 2 yards behind the line.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot speak on the play-calling as I did not watch the game. There is a difference between bad play-calling and not being able to execute because the QB is thrown out of rhythm/chased, or the RBs meet the defenders consistently 2 yards behind the line.

Dude we attempted two 4th and 1s and lost yards

There was virtually no blocking whatsoever. And BYU was only rushing 3 most of the night

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a Case fan; could not disagree more.
Plus, this is one loss and all the things we talked about concerning the Big12 at the beginning of the season are still true... plus TCU and Okie State are not crippled.

I still see Texas as the favorite for the CC.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a Case fan; could not disagree more.
Plus, this is one loss and all the things we talked about concerning the Big12 at the beginning of the season are still true... plus TCU and Okie State are not crippled.

I still see Texas as the favorite for the CC.

Not sure what you see in Case......pretty much everytime he throws the ball he's just tossing it up......you KNOW he's going to have at least 2-3 INTs every game he plays. He's a really bad turnover waiting to happen. He has arguably the worst mechanics of any QB I've ever seen ANYWHERE, and his dad was a coach! He CONSISTENTLY throws off his back foot, has no arm strength, and makes bad decisions with the ball on a regularity.

But hey, even Akili Smith had fans I guess

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you see in Case......pretty much everytime he throws the ball he's just tossing it up......you KNOW he's going to have at least 2-3 INTs every game he plays. He's a really bad turnover waiting to happen. He has arguably the worst mechanics of any QB I've ever seen ANYWHERE, and his dad was a coach! He CONSISTENTLY throws off his back foot, has no arm strength, and makes bad decisions with the ball on a regularity.

But hey, even Akili Smith had fans I guess

ummmm do you not remember Case v. Ash INT stats when they were sharing snaps?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ummmm do you not remember Case v. Ash INT stats when they were sharing snaps?

yes, two years ago.......when Ash was a true freshman. And none of that changes my post any. Case has the worst mechanics I've seen. He has a noodle arm. He barely moves the offense at all.

I'd rather lose with Swoopes than lose with Case. We've seen his ceiling, it's not very high. Hell if I were coach, he wouldn't even be on the team right now.