• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tepper might buy the Panthers

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's mind boggling how much you guys hate Tomlin. The fact that he is going to take this year's team to the postseason is overwhelming proof of how good a coach the guy is. He's playing with an unknown 3rd qb and a bunch of parts at wide receiver (since JuJu has been out) and they continue to find ways to win.
Its easy for an outsider to formulate this opinion... We get it. And in all honesty we all agree with what you're getting at, just to a lesser degree.

He's doing a great job this year. We all know that this team could be far worse off with another coach. Tomlin is a capable coach, just overrated. Yes this season goes against that opinion because he has done incredible things to get this team into this position. Luckily for them they acquired a top 3 defense that it can hang its hat on while they struggle with adversity. They are averaging about 1 offensive TD per game, maybe less than that. How they are 8-5 based on that stat alone is baffling.

Yes he can do more with less, but he has proven MANY MANY MORE times to do less with more.

A head coach with a HOFer QB, a top 3 O-line, #1 WR & #1 RB in the NFL for 3-4 years should have been able to get to the Super Bowl... They invested 10 1st Rd picks into the defense over Tomlin's tenure, and the defense never panned out... Until it acquired a FS via trade just this year. Mind boggling.

I think Tomlin has earned himself the benefit of the doubt, and we probably wouldn't mind seeing him coach out the remainder of his contract through 2021. But we Hooplan Stiller Fans will always keep him on a short leash.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its easy for an outsider to formulate this opinion... We get it. And in all honesty we all agree with what you're getting at, just to a lesser degree.

He's doing a great job this year. We all know that this team could be far worse off with another coach. Tomlin is a capable coach, just overrated. Yes this season goes against that opinion because he has done incredible things to get this team into this position. Luckily for them they acquired a top 3 defense that it can hang its hat on while they struggle with adversity. They are averaging about 1 offensive TD per game, maybe less than that. How they are 8-5 based on that stat alone is baffling.

Yes he can do more with less, but he has proven MANY MANY MORE times to do less with more.

A head coach with a HOFer QB, a top 3 O-line, #1 WR & #1 RB in the NFL for 3-4 years should have been able to get to the Super Bowl... They invested 10 1st Rd picks into the defense over Tomlin's tenure, and the defense never panned out... Until it acquired a FS via trade just this year. Mind boggling.

I think Tomlin has earned himself the benefit of the doubt, and we probably wouldn't mind seeing him coach out the remainder of his contract through 2021. But we Hooplan Stiller Fans will always keep him on a short leash.
If you can't develop a homegrown defensive backfield, buy one.

That's exactly what they did.

They went out and bought Haden, then Nelson, then Fitzpatrick.

And now we have an AMAZEBALLS defensive backfield. Gotta give them tons of credit for that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't develop a homegrown defensive backfield, buy one.

That's exactly what they did.

They went out and bought Haden, then Nelson, then Fitzpatrick.

And now we have an AMAZEBALLS defensive backfield. Gotta give them tons of credit for that.
True, but have to point out that the backfield was STILL a mess before Fitzpatrick came along. Evidence of Kam Kelly & Sean Davis' 2019 highlight reels.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but have to point out that the backfield was STILL a mess before Fitzpatrick came along. Evidence of Kam Kelly & Sean Davis' 2019 highlight reels.
It was hot garbage. They realized that, and bought a DPOY quality FS to fix it.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the frustration. The Steelers had the talent to win multiple championships.... And yes, Ben should probably have more than the 2 rings he's got. But to me, you have to look at the flip side of it. Tomlin has been competing during the same era as the Brady/Belicheck dynasty and the back-end of the Peyton Manning years. There was a unique level of competition in the AFC over this span.

I think there are probably less than 10 really good coaches in the NFL. I think Tomlin is one of them.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the frustration. The Steelers had the talent to win multiple championships.... And yes, Ben should probably have more than the 2 rings he's got. But to me, you have to look at the flip side of it. Tomlin has been competing during the same era as the Brady/Belicheck dynasty and the back-end of the Peyton Manning years. There was a unique level of competition in the AFC over this span.

I think there are probably less than 10 really good coaches in the NFL. I think Tomlin is one of them.
We believe we have justifiably high expectations, and seeing the talent that was put together, only getting 1 ring in Tomlin's years is an affront. Pittsburgh should have been more competitive with the Patriots eating into their dynasty.

We don't think we're unreasonable with that. Talent was squandered in really stupid ways.

Tomlin may very well earn time after this season, but he won't get any slack from criticism.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. The competition was a tall task to begin with. Our disdain for Tomlin has a lot more to do with the desire for change than simply wanting Tomlin gone. We know what Tomlin brings to the table, and its complacency that eats away at us. We all have serious doubts that he'll ever be able to get this team back to the big dance, so why not look for change?

Outsiders see him as a top 5 coach, we see him more in the 8-15 range on a good day. Seems like every time this team is primed for a run they squander it. Makes it real tough to instill any confidence after watching it happen time & time again over the last 6-7 years.

If you asked us about this 5 years ago we'd have all been in Tomlin's corner.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's mind boggling how much you guys hate Tomlin. The fact that he is going to take this year's team to the postseason is overwhelming proof of how good a coach the guy is. He's playing with an unknown 3rd qb and a bunch of parts at wide receiver (since JuJu has been out) and they continue to find ways to win.

Actually I like Tomlin...everything I've heard about him as a person is nothing but good. My biggest turn off was he appeared to be a much better CEO style HC than a hands on one. That playing to keep it close scheme he trotting out the there for the 2016 AFCCG just burned me to no end and I've struggled to get back on board with him since.

But...willing to give credit where credit is due, and this has been a COY type season. Starting with suddenly losing coach Drake (WR coach) in camp, QB1, for the season, QB2, RB1, WR1 all have missed games....I've said, if these guys win out and go 11-5 he has to win it...Shanny in SF, and Harbaugh in BAL would both be deserving too as neither was projected by many to have the seasons they're having.

He still needs to show he can coach when he has the horses for me to fully embrace him again, but I'm not a Tomlin hater...he's doing a helluva job this season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speculation dismissed...

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that didn't take long for those speculative rumors to start flying...

@Pure Steel @cincygrad @Superbelt @ATL96Steeler
If true:
Then he didn't learn a Fuckin' thing as a minority owner in Pittsburgh.

It's not the Steelers way to trade away a ransom of picks to pry a coach from another team. Because that's exactly what it'll take to get Tomlin from the Rooney's right now.

Sign free-agent executives? Sure. Use them to identify the right coach.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've thought he'd aim for Colbert with some kind of VP title and a couple of scouts.
Which I think is certainly the case. I think the link to Tomlin is pure speculation. If you saw the quote from Aditi (post 31), you'd agree. Tepper knows damn well that ain't gonna happen.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which I think is certainly the case. I think the link to Tomlin is pure speculation. If you saw the quote from Aditi (post 31), you'd agree. Tepper knows damn well that ain't gonna happen.

Even for Colbert...I think it would have to be something with a VP title, and a bunch more cash. I would consider it disrespect for him to go after Tomlin or Colbert without there being a big promotion and there's not much more promoting to give Tomlin unless they wanted to give him a HC/GM role....imo that would a be a disaster for them to do that.

Circling back to another topic.

TE targets...I'm almost finished watching the all22 of the Cardinals game since it was available already I chose it. I started the game charting the passing plays and what the TE did on that play. The vast majority of the plays...when 88 & 89 were in the game together the play was a run to the strong side.

The passing plays.

Not to bore you, so I'm only giving you the the opening drive.

play 1...#89 in the right flat, open...pass went left flat to #38, 6+ yds
play 2...#89 in left flat, open...pass went to #40, good gain
play 3...#89 ran a down and out...open QB sacked
play 4...#89 found a spot in the zone, open pass went to 13, 1st down
play 5...#88 ran a down and out, open, QB ran the ball, got a 1st down
play 6...#88 ran a 7 yd hook, not open, pass went to 38, good gain.

These are just the passing plays on the Steelers 1st drive.

The common theme thru out the game...most of the time the TE was open, Hodges just chose to go somewhere else with the ball...to his credit most of those passes were completed to open players.

I can see why the dual TE, and tackle eligible plays haven't done quite as well of late...teams are rolling more bodies to the strong side of the formation so there's less room to run. I'm wondering (hoping) if Fichtner will pick up on that and throw the ball out of the dual TE formation at some point.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even for Colbert...I think it would have to be something with a VP title, and a bunch more cash. I would consider it disrespect for him to go after Tomlin or Colbert without there being a big promotion and there's not much more promoting to give Tomlin unless they wanted to give him a HC/GM role....imo that would a be a disaster for them to do that.
Yea I'm not seeing it either. Like I said before, a parallel move for Colbert this close to retirement doesn't make sense. He's established a legacy here that I think he wants to define his entire career. Just makes more sense, even if taking the CAR GM position takes him closer to home.

Breaking this post up to keep our discussions in order...
Circling back to another topic.

TE targets...I'm almost finished watching the all22 of the Cardinals game since it was available already I chose it. I started the game charting the passing plays and what the TE did on that play. The vast majority of the plays...when 88 & 89 were in the game together the play was a run to the strong side.

The passing plays.

Not to bore you, so I'm only giving you the the opening drive.

play 1...#89 in the right flat, open...pass went left flat to #38, 6+ yds
play 2...#89 in left flat, open...pass went to #40, good gain
play 3...#89 ran a down and out...open QB sacked
play 4...#89 found a spot in the zone, open pass went to 13, 1st down
play 5...#88 ran a down and out, open, QB ran the ball, got a 1st down
play 6...#88 ran a 7 yd hook, not open, pass went to 38, good gain.

These are just the passing plays on the Steelers 1st drive.

The common theme thru out the game...most of the time the TE was open, Hodges just chose to go somewhere else with the ball...to his credit most of those passes were completed to open players.

I can see why the dual TE, and tackle eligible plays haven't done quite as well of late...teams are rolling more bodies to the strong side of the formation so there's less room to run. I'm wondering (hoping) if Fichtner will pick up on that and throw the ball out of the dual TE formation at some point.
Good stuff here my man! I knew I wasn't seeing the entire picture. But I do admit that more often than not when I'm paying attention to the TE route in passing situations, it feels like they are almost always near the LOS. Obviously if the film shows him being open there then Fichtner will be inclined to keep using it. Just seems to me like an under-utilization of talent. But its encouraging to see you spotted them running down & outs and hooks... Maybe all the double TE runs are setting defenses up for PA late in the game if the Steelers are in need of a splash. Not a bad chess match to play if you're continuing to win. Keep putting out the same film and keep your aces in the deck.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I'm not seeing it either. Like I said before, a parallel move for Colbert this close to retirement doesn't make sense. He's established a legacy here that I think he wants to define his entire career. Just makes more sense, even if taking the CAR GM position takes him closer to home.

Breaking this post up to keep our discussions in order...

Good stuff here my man! I knew I wasn't seeing the entire picture. But I do admit that more often than not when I'm paying attention to the TE route in passing situations, it feels like they are almost always near the LOS. Obviously if the film shows him being open there then Fichtner will be inclined to keep using it. Just seems to me like an under-utilization of talent. But its encouraging to see you spotted them running down & outs and hooks... Maybe all the double TE runs are setting defenses up for PA late in the game if the Steelers are in need of a splash. Not a bad chess match to play if you're continuing to win. Keep putting out the same film and keep your aces in the deck.

CAR...they have some good players like every team does so this is not a total rebuild, but they need to figure something out at the most important position on the field. Allen has been a decent stop gap QB for them, but I don't think he's the franchise guy to move forward with. Is that something Colbert would want to tackle this close to retirement? If it were me, I'd ride it out in PIT unless I was prepared to put in 4 or 5 yrs to get CAR turned around.

TE...yeah after seeing the game again, I still question 1 target to a TE, but only 19 passes total and it's not as if he made bad choices with the ball. At this point I'm more willing to say they have a lot of opportunity there with the TEs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the Tomlin to Carolina pipe dream is gone (which was never really gonna happen anyway)... But Colbert & Khan are still in play. Nothing new on that front though.