• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teams focus on talent, not need.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think there is a complete misconception when it comes to fans and their overall thoughts about how NFL teams want to build their teams. To me, its talent over need in so many cases, that teams covet and they attempt to add needs whenever possible. There is no one script that every team follows, they are all a bit different but they all want the most talented guys. This brings me to this:

Today, I saw that the Broncos were showing tons of intererest in Kelvin Benjamin at his pro-day and most fans would probably see that and wonder why. The Broncos are set on offense, right? Maybe, but does that mean they pass on a guy like Benjamin if he is high on their draft board? Absolutely not.

Then, I saw where the Lions are hosting Eric Ebron for a visit. I wonder how Lions fans feel about this, considering that most believe the Lions should be done with offense because they have the best WR in the game, a new #2 and Pettigrew is back. Some would probably say that bring Ebron in is some type of smoke screen of some sort but I doubt it. Its because Ebron is the top TE and could cause a lot of problems.

To add, Mayhew and Caldwell were also at the Florida St pro-day and the word is that they were there scoping out the defensive players, which may be true but Im sure they took some notes on Benjamin.

Talent trumps need, especially early in the draft.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Ebron is an option for us at 10. But I also dont happen to think he is a top 10 player.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. What about a trade-down scenario? I find it hard to believe teams waste time on players when they bring them in for a visit.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron actually ran a faster 40 than Jimmy Graham. (.03 difference)I can see why there is interest.(Fauria and BP are obviously to slow to fill that deep seem role) I love the TE position, but 10 seems crazy to me. Hopefully it would be a trade down scenario if he were the pick. Another large target wouldn't be a bad thing.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your premise that talent generally trumps need in the draft.

Turns out the phrase "BPA" is a pretty touchy subject around here, though, so be preparred for the batle-royal that always seems to accompany the subject.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron actually ran a faster 40 than Jimmy Graham. (.03 difference)I can see why there is interest.(Fauria and BP are obviously to slow to fill that deep seem role) I love the TE position, but 10 seems crazy to me. Hopefully it would be a trade down scenario if he were the pick. Another large target wouldn't be a bad thing.

I think Fauria's adequate speed combined with his huge frame and catch radius makes him a threat in the deep slot. He's not going to separate and run away from anyone after the catch, but as long as he can routinely make the catch and get the 1st down opposing defenses will have to respect his ability to stretch the seam.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, lionstop1, that the possibility of a trade down has to be taken into consideration. And because it does, scouting the top talents by position makes sense, even when there is less of a perceived need. Take the best value you can find and use the talent you have to dictate the style of play. It's like prospecting, in that a lot of material is sifted through to determine what shoud be kept. With a little luck the Lions will find the gems when it's thier turn on the clock.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fauria's adequate speed combined with his huge frame and catch radius makes him a threat in the deep slot. He's not going to separate and run away from anyone after the catch, but as long as he can routinely make the catch and get the 1st down opposing defenses will have to respect his ability to stretch the seam.

I like his length a lot. We saw it pay off in the end zone. But I don't think he's ever going to be a deep threat. He can be defended by most outside linebackers(length helping him a lot in that situation). And his lack of speed will hold him back from being much of deep threat, IMO. (Pettigrew averaged nearly 5 YAC/grab while JF was a little under 3. Both short yardage/aerial running game or RedZone guys to me.). Ebron would be a much bigger mismatch for OLBs to me. Having a guy that could command a safety would help CJ&Comp IMO.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like his length a lot. We saw it pay off in the end zone. But I don't think he's ever going to be a deep threat. He can be defended by most outside linebackers(length helping him a lot in that situation). And his lack of speed will hold him back from being much of deep threat, IMO. (Pettigrew averaged nearly 5 YAC/grab while JF was a little under 3. Both short yardage/aerial running game or RedZone guys to me.). Ebron would be a much bigger mismatch for OLBs to me. Having a guy that could command a safety would help CJ&Comp IMO.

I bet you do cowboy! :boink:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like his girth though.

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its one of those situations where the Lions have interest but want to get a final grade on him. I wonder what determines who they bring in?

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its one of those situations where the Lions have interest but want to get a final grade on him. I wonder what determines who they bring in?

I'd bet teams bring in their 3 or 4 "best" targets that they're likely to get a shot at, and then bring in some guys that they're really not too interested in just to try to keep a bit of smoke and mirrors going.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions were targeting Ebron (trade down or not), they probably would have let Pettigrew go in FA. They were already using Fauria more and more down the seam near the end of the year too.

The title of the thread also assumes the Lions have Ebron ranked higher than other positions (that happen to match a need) on their draft board. I'm not sure that is the case, especially if you're talking about a guy you could trade down and still get.

Just not feeling this one.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sounds like length is up there

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent trumps need, especially early in the draft.

This is true to a certain extent. Detroit isn't going to draft one of the top QBs, no matter how talented they think they are. Same goes for DT, in the first round, unless they don't think they can re-sign Suh.

No team picking in the top 10-12 picks are going to overload a position and draft someone to be a backup. There is a reason why the teams are picking in the top 10-12 of the draft, so whoever they pick is going to step in and start right away.

I don't feel like looking it up. But who was the last top 10 pick, who didn't become a starter as a rookie in the NFL? Outside of possibly the QB position, I would guess it has been a while since someone was drafted to give depth to a position.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as bringing in Ebron -- I think it is a total smokescreen. I would wager they scheduled the visit before they re-signed Pettigrew and still brought him with the off chance, one of the teams may be enamored with him and Detroit could trade back in the 1st round.

As much as I doubt our front office at times -- I don't see a single scenario playing out where they would draft Ebron, when they already have Pettigrew signed, as well as Fauria and Mike Williams.

If Ebron was the Lions target -- Pettigrew would be a NYJ right now.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel like looking it up. But who was the last top 10 pick, who didn't become a starter as a rookie in the NFL? Outside of possibly the QB position, I would guess it has been a while since someone was drafted to give depth to a position.

Lots of guys. I'm sure teams hope and wish they can start, but they don't. Mingo, the kid Miami took at 3...neither started or played much last year. Maybe Mingo did later on. The kid from Miami looks like a bust. The CB Oakland took never started. They traded out of the top 10 for him but they were gonna take him at 3 anyways.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true to a certain extent. Detroit isn't going to draft one of the top QBs, no matter how talented they think they are. Same goes for DT, in the first round, unless they don't think they can re-sign Suh.

I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted Aaron Donald and traded Fairley. Donald is kind of a 'tweener size-wise, but he compares favorably to Geno Atkins. I'd swap him out for Fairley and, say, a 3rd rounder for sure...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TrustmeImright,

I don't think its a smokescreen, I think its legit. I think its part of the process where they want to a rank on some of these guys so they can set their boards up. Resigning Pettigrew just means that there is no real need there but the position could still see an upgrade. Ebron would probably have to have a rating much higher than the nect guy though or the team would have to be completely sold on him to take him at 10 or later.