• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Talks started with Hickson

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid guy to have as our backup 4. Can rebound and provide a bit of offense off the bench. I like him and Jordan Hill as low priced, impact players to bring off the bench.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him a lot too, my only concern is how much of the MLE he's going to take. I fear it could be most of it.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Amico

"Hard to envision" JJ Hickson signing with anyone but Warriors, according to source with knowledge of situation. Warriors thought they had landed Hickson after he was waived by Kings during season, will make serious push for him now in free agency.
about an hour ago

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The knock on him is he has lousy hands and can't play D. That worries me.

He's only 23. Maybe Jackson can get him to defend better?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what picking up Hickson will do to Tyler? I liked what Tyler did at the 4 during the latter part of the season. I'd rather see the money spent on a vet pg.

Jeremy Tyler of the Golden State Warriors SICK Dunk Session... REVERSE EAST BAY!! - YouTube

2011-12 Highlights: Jeremy Tyler - YouTube
Jeremy Tyler Game By Game Stats and Performance - Golden State Warriors - ESPN

You might as well just skip to March. Those are some pretty promising stats for a 2nd round rookie that didn't even get a training camp to prepare. At least half of that good play was at the pf spot when Lee went out for the season.

I think adding Hickson could stagnate his growth, while still needing another pg, unless they are 100% on board that Jenkins is the guy. If they're good with Jenkins, I am too. Personally, I love him. I just want to be safe with the vet pg talk, because of Curry's injury concerns and all.

2011-12 Highlights: Charles Jenkins - YouTube

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6444/charles-jenkins

Also promising for a 2nd rounder with no camp.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what picking up Hickson will do to Tyler? I liked what Tyler did at the 4 during the latter part of the season. I'd rather see the money spent on a vet pg.

Jeremy Tyler of the Golden State Warriors SICK Dunk Session... REVERSE EAST BAY!! - YouTube

2011-12 Highlights: Jeremy Tyler - YouTube
Jeremy Tyler Game By Game Stats and Performance - Golden State Warriors - ESPN

You might as well just skip to March. Those are some pretty promising stats for a 2nd round rookie that didn't even get a training camp to prepare. At least half of that good play was at the pf spot when Lee went out for the season.

I think adding Hickson could stagnate his growth, while still needing another pg, unless they are 100% on board that Jenkins is the guy. If they're good with Jenkins, I am too. Personally, I love him. I just want to be safe with the vet pg talk, because of Curry's injury concerns and all.

2011-12 Highlights: Charles Jenkins - YouTube

Charles Jenkins Game By Game Stats and Performance - Golden State Warriors - ESPN

Also promising for a 2nd rounder with no camp.

I agree with you, and if it is a question of Hickson or a good vet PG, the guard seems to be the bigger need. However, I think Tyler would benefit from everyday reps. He will get more of that in the NBDL. That might be better for his development and confidence. It definitely wouldn't hurt him to work on a couple different post moves (low and at the elbow). Also, how likely is it that an upgrade over Jenkins exists with the money that the Dubs can spend and stay under the cap? Hickson might be better for the rotational depth of a playoff team. I really like the sound of that.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, and if it is a question of Hickson or a good vet PG, the guard seems to be the bigger need. However, I think Tyler would benefit from everyday reps. He will get more of that in the NBDL. That might be better for his development and confidence. It definitely wouldn't hurt him to work on a couple different post moves (low and at the elbow). Also, how likely is it that an upgrade over Jenkins exists with the money that the Dubs can spend and stay under the cap? Hickson might be better for the rotational depth of a playoff team. I really like the sound of that.

If it were my choice, I'd much rather prefer a solid backup big to a PG. I thought Jenkins did particularly well last year and was much more consistent with his play than Tyler was. I'd still like to bring in another solid vet, but we have two starting bigs who have battled through injuries the last few years. It's safe to say that it's not very probable that we can rely on them for the whole 82. We need a backup big who can come in and produce on a nightly basis, and Tyler just isn't there yet.

As constructed this team's goal is to make the playoffs this year. Of course it should be the same every year, but Lacob and Co are feeling the pressure to finally get there this year. They won't want to give Tyler 15 minutes a game to let him develop, they'd rather give the spot to someone who's already established. Tyler's development is important, but if the Warriors have a roster that can compete for a spot, immediate value takes precedence over upside.

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is a couple of years old, but explains (starting at about the 6 minute mark) why Hickson doesn't stick anywhere he goes, despite the fact that he can put a few points up. He is worse, markedly so, than even David Lee as a defender. All of the "straight" and "normalized" +/- statistics also bear it out - Hickson is a negative to teams he's on. Don't get seduced by conventional stats.

NBA Breakdown: The Bulls #1 Defense vs. the Cavs #30 Defense or Why the Cavs Stink - YouTube

3 "simple" moves that I'd like to see would be the following:
1. Trade Dorell Wright to LA for Josh McRoberts. He's not sexy, but he's a good defender, hustle guy, and would firmly fill our back-up PF hole. (And he makes about $1M less than Wright, which helps with the deals below.)
2. Sign Brandon Roy to a deal of 2 years for $3M/year. That probably is what it will take to get him, without overpaying. He effectively becomes the back-up ball-handler when Curry's off the floor.
3. Re-sign Nate Robinson for $1-$1.5M/year. He's absolutely worth that. Last year he made tremendous progress playing PG, averaging 4.5 assists, a 3.1 assist/turnover ratio, and with a PER of over 18 (league average is 15). He's even more insurance.

Go into the year with a roster of:
Starters: Curry/Thompson/Barnes/Lee/Bogut
Bench: Jenkins/Robinson/Roy/Rush/Jefferson/Green/McRoberts/Tyler/Ezeli/Biedrins

That's a good set of starters, and a solid bench.

And keeps us under the luxury tax level.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were my choice, I'd much rather prefer a solid backup big to a PG. I thought Jenkins did particularly well last year and was much more consistent with his play than Tyler was. I'd still like to bring in another solid vet, but we have two starting bigs who have battled through injuries the last few years. It's safe to say that it's not very probable that we can rely on them for the whole 82. We need a backup big who can come in and produce on a nightly basis, and Tyler just isn't there yet.

As constructed this team's goal is to make the playoffs this year. Of course it should be the same every year, but Lacob and Co are feeling the pressure to finally get there this year. They won't want to give Tyler 15 minutes a game to let him develop, they'd rather give the spot to someone who's already established. Tyler's development is important, but if the Warriors have a roster that can compete for a spot, immediate value takes precedence over upside.

They're going to feel the pressure, but with Tyler, Barnes, Ezeli, and Green plus Jenkins, the W's are going to have to find minutes for all of these guys to develop. Making the playoffs this year would be something, but I don't want to do it the way the Dubbs did back in 07 when they were essentially a 6 - 7 man rotation. Unless you have 3 magnificent stars on the same team, you're going to have to rely on a deep bench considering we're looking at an 82 game season this year as opposed to the shortened season that was just completed.

I liked what I saw in Tyler last year, and here's an interesting article about him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/sports/basketball/26tyler.html

Forgoing his senior season and learning the game as an inside the paint player will probably cause him to learn his trade a little longer as opposed to had he attended college. Should be interesting to watch his development. And I would pass on Hickson to be quite frank. The W's don't need anymore cats not committed to defense.

shaffdogg76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big Hickson fan. He looks like a guy who would be physical, but he is pretty soft. He seems to have one track mind looking only to score and ignoring nearly every other facet of the game.

I would rather see Draymond Green get those minutes since the team isn't going to make the playoffs and this is another developmental season.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big Hickson fan. He looks like a guy who would be physical, but he is pretty soft. He seems to have one track mind looking only to score and ignoring nearly every other facet of the game.

I would rather see Draymond Green get those minutes since the team isn't going to make the playoffs and this is another developmental season.

I disagree, I see a playoff team. Not on no homer shit or nothin, just based on the fact that our whole starting 5 will bust somebody's ass. Who do you double? Our defense will be better just based on size, attitude, coaching, personnel and having a force in the middle. Our backups gathered plenty of game experience last season, as well as having a couple of vets in that unit as well. People keep saying how young we are, however I see Lee, Bogut, Rush, Jefferson, plus whoever we add now that Wright is gone.

:boxing:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hickson signed 1 year $4M with Portland.