• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Swofford Comment????

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC commissioner John Swofford favors title-game qualifying redo - ESPN

"....the ACC would consider having the top two teams in the league play for the ACC championship, in addition to maintaining divisions, but not requiring teams to play every opponent in their division."

If you are going to match up "the top teams" AND teams in the "divisions" don't have to play each other, what is the point of having divisions at all? Why not just have one 14 team conference and match up the "top two teams"?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Swofford wants to end divisions. I wonder if the Big 12 and the ACC are in cahoots? The Big 12 wants a championship game but cannot have one, the ACC wants to get rid of divisions and just have a championship game. Which would be exactly what the Big 12 is and wants.

All conferences will have this problem/have had this problem, one division is bad, and the other division is good.(B1G in 2014) It is a 15 team conference because of Notre Dame. I see this as posturing by the Commish and nothing more.

Once the ACC fans begin to understand how the Notre Dame affiliation screws their team out of going to a better bowl, the howling will begin. It is possible that a 9-3 Notre Dame team will be selected over a 10-2 Duke team, and all three of Notre Dame's losses were to ACC teams.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the ACC fans begin to understand how the Notre Dame affiliation screws their team out of going to a better bowl, the howling will begin. It is possible that a 9-3 Notre Dame team will be selected over a 10-2 Duke team, and all three of Notre Dame's losses were to ACC teams.

:nod: as a former BE member, sounds all too familiar...

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Swofford wants to end divisions. I wonder if the Big 12 and the ACC are in cahoots? The Big 12 wants a championship game but cannot have one, the ACC wants to get rid of divisions and just have a championship game. Which would be exactly what the Big 12 is and wants.

All conferences will have this problem/have had this problem, one division is bad, and the other division is good.(B1G in 2014) It is a 15 team conference because of Notre Dame. I see this as posturing by the Commish and nothing more.

Big 12 has another obstacle in that you have to have at least 12 teams to have a Championship game. I don't see that ending even if the ACC gets their way which I would be surprised if they do almost sounds like they want to game the system. I would be for it though because you could rotate more teams on your schedule so Auburn would play Florida and Tenn more often.

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if yall remember I made a post with this vary idea a couple of months ago. I tried working on it with excel and heres what my results were

i tried the b10 with 2 fixed rivals

on a 9 game schedule: making the H/A work was a complete nightmare and not applicable

on a 10 game schedule: i got 2 full seasons w/ the H&Hs working out however i got stumped on year 3 where one team gets an extra home game and a 2nd team gets one less home game.

the problem is you can have:
1) rotating Home/away amongst programs

or

2) each program having an equal amount of home & away games in conference play

but not both.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:nod: as a former BE member, sounds all too familiar...

How? Its a totally different deal. ND actually has to play football in tbe acc, all but guaranteeing 5 nationally telivised sellouts for the acc. ND didnt give the be shit in football.

And Im not sure how the acc gets screwed by nd in the bowls. We upgraded our tie ins with the addition of nd.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND played BE schools as well, not as many ( league was much smaller) but they did and did take bowl appearances from BE members as it will from ACC members.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont remember their deal with the be being very good for the be. All the benefit was on NDs side. ACC still should told them full membership or fuck off, but at least the acc gets something in return. Canes getting them every 3 years being one I like ;)

john01992

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND played BE schools as well, not as many ( league was much smaller) but they did and did take bowl appearances from BE members as it will from ACC members.

WTF are you talking about. they played pitt, occasionally another BE school. and they NEVER took away one of our bowl appearances?

the acc deal is nothing close to the BE deal at all.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND is the hot the girl that guys buys drinks for but she doesn't sleep with anyone and only causes blue balls for everyone.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF are you talking about. they played pitt, occasionally another BE school. and they NEVER took away one of our bowl appearances?

the acc deal is nothing close to the BE deal at all.

wrong, as cane said it was heavily favored on ND's side(and agree they should have been told by the ACC all in or gtfo like the Big12/BIG told them) but there was an agreement to rotate BE teams in their schedule and ND was tied into the BE bowls. They weren't always bowl eligible, but the bowls could take ND over a BE member.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in favor of doing away with all the CCG. Just put everyone in one big division, everyone must play 9 conference games, maybe increase the regular season to 13 games and if the conference ends in a tie, so be it. You can have tie breakers, like face to face and strength of schedule to determine the actual champion.

Then go on and play the bowls and NC playoffs.