• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suspended Jhonny Peralta to work out with Tigers

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Detroit Tigers are giving Jhonny Peralta a chance to earn a spot on their roster.

That's about all general manager Dave Dombrowski would promise when he discussed the suspended infielder's future Tuesday. Peralta, who accepted a 50-game suspension from Major League Baseball on Aug. 5, will work out with the Tigers before Wednesday's game in Chicago against the White Sox.

"From our perspective, there really is an obligation with giving him a chance to come back," Dombrowski said. "We'll make a baseball decision at some point, as we get closer, whether to activate him."

Source: ESPN

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will work him out as an OF. A place he has never played a game before. Their RH option as a platoon guy has been awful. It's about getting his timing back and filling in.

I say it's 50/50 if the Tigers activate him.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will work him out as an OF. A place he has never played a game before. Their RH option as a platoon guy has been awful. It's about getting his timing back and filling in.

I say it's 50/50 if the Tigers activate him.

I agree.. But I don't see how he won't be able to play LF at least adequately... as he has a strong arm and he doesn't need to be a golden glove caliber defender... just catch what comes to him... and that has never been an issue at SS... If his bat is even remotely luke warm when he can come back.. I say let him start the last 3 games in LF and see how it goes... I would rather have him on the roster than crap tui.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things could happen...

A) Peralta comes back.. hits his career ave of .268 and gives the Tigers a more proven bat in the playoffs than tui pooy...

B) Peralta comes back and has a monster playoffs and sets himself up to get paid... allowing the Tigers to offer him a qualifying offer... so when he signs for longer term money someplace else... the tigers get a pick in place for him... If Swisher can get a comp pick.. Peralta can with a good playoff showing.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two things could happen...

A) Peralta comes back.. hits his career ave of .268 and gives the Tigers a more proven bat in the playoffs than tui pooy...

B) Peralta comes back and has a monster playoffs and sets himself up to get paid... allowing the Tigers to offer him a qualifying offer... so when he signs for longer term money someplace else... the tigers get a pick in place for him... If Swisher can get a comp pick.. Peralta can with a good playoff showing.

He could always do this in the 9th inning of a close game in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very nice addition off the bench. Or in the lineup. Second, short, third, left, If he hits when it matters, great. He's gonna have great hands and excellent positioning wherever, no matter what he's doing. It was a 65 game suspension. Not a 68 game, which seems like a favor from Major League Baseball, to me. But I understand the Melky/Giants way of going about it to. But we don't get to face the Tigers in the WS... So baby steps to Jhonnys return for me.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We'll make a baseball decision..." leads me to believe he'll have some logo embroidered on the side of his Tigers hat next month.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say it ain't so Jhonny....this whole situation sucks......this whole mentality that these players have "oh well only 60 games"....fuck the integrety of the game...."I'll be back with my fat pay cheque"......

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with burf. I don't want to see him in a Tiger uniform again. He made a boneheaded, selfish decision that forced Dombrowski to deal our 2012 minor league player of the year (Garcia) in order to fill the void. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with Iglesias, but that move was 100% forced by Peralta's suspension.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
say it ain't so Jhonny....this whole situation sucks......this whole mentality that these players have "oh well only 60 games"....fuck the integrety of the game...."I'll be back with my fat pay cheque"......

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face!

If we banned all cheaters in MLB then you might have to call up half your minor league roster.

Andy Petit has gotten past his issues.

Same for Melky Cabrera. SO will JP. He may not be a Tiger past this season but I am sure he will be playing somewhere next year.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peralta may prove to be Jhonny Comeback

Written by Dan Holmes on September 12, 2013
Last season, after the Giants’ All-Star Melky Cabrera was suspended for 50 games for high levels of testosterone, he never played for that team again. He watched as his former teammates won the division title, advanced through the NL playoffs, and eventually defeated the Tigers in the World Series. He was a pariah.
This season, Detroit’s Jhonny Peralta has suffered the same punishment – 50 games handed down in August. But unlike Cabrera, it appears it’s possible that the Tiger All-Star shortstop may not be Jhonny Pariah, he might become Jhonny Comeback. While it seemed highly unlikely that the suspended Peralta would play again for Detroit in 2013 or any time in the future (he’ll be a free agent this offseason), now Jhonny has been asked to work out with the club, apparently at a new position. Will we see Jhonny in a Detroit uniform this October?
If you believe what’s being said by the Tigers, it’s increasingly possible. Not only is GM Dave Dombrowski taking Peralta back to take part in exercises with the team (as is allowed under the labor contract), but Jhonny’s teammates are welcoming him back.
“All is forgiven,” Torii Hunter told reporters. Even Max Scherzer, who has lambasted those who have been convicted of using PEDs, had good things to say about Peralta. “It’s good to see his face in the clubhouse,” Max said.
Dombrowski has made it clear that Peralta won’t play shortstop for this team again, at least as a starter. Rookie Jose Iglesias is the starter, Dombrowski insists. Suddenly, Dombrowski is in love with the leather. But, in his first workout back with the Tigers, Peralta was sent out to left field, a spot where the Tigers have received spotty performance this year. Never mind that Peralta admitted that he “has never played outfield at any level.” It’s an option the team is exploring. This while Nick Castellanos, the heralded blue chip prospect who was converted into an outfielder in the minor leagues, is also with the club.
Should the Tigers welcome Jhonny back? I could make the case that the franchise has an opportunity to take a form stand against PED use and refuse to allow Peralta to come back. I could argue that having a “cheater” on the roster while making a run for their first World Series title in nearly three decades might be a distraction, might lessen the accomplishment in some people’s eyes. I could point out that the franchise of Al Kaline and Alan Trammell (two of the classiest players in the history of the game) should be classier than that.
But I won’t make those arguments, though I wouldn’t condemn those who might. No, I choose to accept the fact that this team is willing to forgive Peralta. Who am I to say they shouldn’t?
If I confine myself to the diamond, I have to point out that Iglesias is a major upgrade over Peralta with the glove. Any Tiger fan who doesn’t recognize that is not watching closely. In about five weeks with the team, Iglesias has already made half a dozen plays that I’ve never seen any Detroit infielder make. Ever. He’s crazy good. He doesn’t have the power that Peralta has (or had with PEDs), but runs saved are just as valuable as runs produced.
Maybe Peralta can play left field adequately (let’s face it, neither Andy Dirks or Matt Tuiasosopo is that great with the glove out there), I don’t know. His arm would be an upgrade, for sure. But I don’t have to do stretch my mind that much to imagine a misplayed line drive that could cost the Tigers a postseason game. Remember Coco Crisp?
I’ve carped here before about the thin Detorit bench, especially the lack of a good, major league caliber pinch-hitter. Peralta, a veteran who has some pop in his bat (even when he isn’t juiced up), would give Jum Leyland a nice option for the postseason, especially in the Series, where pitchers would bat in the National League ballpark.
Regardless of our opinions on Peralta’s transgression, we must admit that we may not have seen the last of Jhonny in a Tiger uniform. The Tigers have to ask themselves whether they want to take a moral stand or if they are willing to do anything it takes to win the elusive World Series championship. Either way, it seems most in the organization are willing to treat Peralta as a friend rather than as a pariah.

Posted in Dan Holmes, Detroit Tigers

Last edited by a moderator:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you have changed your mind about jp vice. You were pretty adamant at one point that he wouldnt play again this year even though myself and a few other posters said we thought he would, you even got to the point of being a know it all about it. Kad you can admit when you are wrong..

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see it happening... But now with tui struggling... I don't see tui being on the playoff roster... Some righty will take that spot... Probably Peralta... I was wrong... No biggy... We want the same thing... I will be standing next to you at the parade if they win it all.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats what i like about you vice, your being a know it all shick can be annoying but admitting you were wrong is great. You also provide valuable thoughts and ideas. Good on you. I as well will admit when im wrong, its sports and none of us have it all figured out although some of us have it much more figured out than others... Im looking at you burf

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personal opinions aside the tigers need to do whats best for the team, not whats moral. JP cheated, he was caught, it was selfish and a mistake and he and the tigers suffered the consequences of his actions. But in the end the tigers, their fans, the city of detroit and the state of michigan expect the best product on the field and that includes peralta. If he doesnt come back (he will) then i will have issue with that.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's best for the Tigers, Detroit and Michigan ......make a statement and stand up and don't condone the use of drugs and cheating the game....no more baby steps. ...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baby steps toward possibly throwing a world series championship away? Do you see any other team getting rid of players caught using peds? They are only dumped if they suck, no to teach them a lesson or whatever, and please the city of detroit has bigger problems with its image than johnny peralta, lol.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team? What did the Giants do last year with Melky?......Got to start somewhere. ......if Peraulta not playing is what cost the Tigers the WS then there are more problems .....that is just silly....

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most guys here were ready to dump Jhonny mid season.....can't field .....now put him somewhere he has never played and all is well....