• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Surgeon general wants tobacco-style warning applied to social media platforms

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can’t have something nice … you addicts ruin it all the time

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“… social media has not been proved safe.”

… that’s gonna be hard to prove … I hope they don’t check out sports forums

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“… social media has not been proved safe.”

… that’s gonna be hard to prove … I hope they don’t check out sports forums

It isn’t safe.

Social media brings out the dregs in humanity. It provides easy access for bullies and many other dangerous/illegal activities.

Parents need to be on their kids about how they use it.

Can be a source of entertainment when used correctly by well intentioned people. Can also be a very dangerous place for young people and those who are easily influenced.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should have better education on using the internet … how many times do you see students or anyone for that matter, not know where creditable sources are ?
it’s an amazing tool for information and everyone gets their ‘facts’ from social media … it’s a waste and tragic

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they should have better education on using the internet … how many times do you see students or anyone for that matter, not know where creditable sources are ?
it’s an amazing tool for information and everyone gets their ‘facts’ from social media … it’s a waste and tragic
The problem isn’t young people with this stuff. The problem is old people. How are we sending old people, especially the School of Hard Knocks crowd back to school?

Also…the skills you’re talking about have been taught in high school English classes for years with the advent of the internet and the need to vet sources from the internet. For instance, a 16 year old is far more likely to know that Google Scholar is a thing than a 56 year old.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easier said than done.

And believe me, schools try their best.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn’t safe.

Social media brings out the dregs in humanity. It provides easy access for bullies and many other dangerous/illegal activities.

Parents need to be on their kids about how they use it.

Can be a source of entertainment when used correctly by well intentioned people. Can also be a very dangerous place for young people and those who are easily influenced.
my kids don,t let my grandkids use it.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easier said than done.

And believe me, schools try their best.

my wife taught learning styles at a prestigious prep school that did not allow researching on the web … it seemed like the wrong idea to me … but you know the kids were all on social media
I’m saying we’re doing it wrong … it’s a cultural issue that doesn’t really have a fix

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem isn’t young people with this stuff. The problem is old people. How are we sending old people, especially the School of Hard Knocks crowd back to school?

Also…the skills you’re talking about have been taught in high school English classes for years with the advent of the internet and the need to vet sources from the internet. For instance, a 16 year old is far more likely to know that Google Scholar is a thing than a 56 year old.
Also ChatGPT which they all use to help them finish homework

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go that far. The bullying aspect of it for school age kids is pretty brutal.
True. This conversation though seemed to revolve around vetting information which is more of a problem with older people.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also ChatGPT which they all use to help them finish homework
This is a head ache. I’ve grown fond of grading digitally and using technology for feedback. It’s getting more difficult. AI can’t go into the text we are reading though and provide textual evidence and citations though and that’s where I was able to “get” kids this year that used it in my class.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. This conversation though seemed to revolve around vetting information which is more of a problem with older people.

that’s my fault … I turned the SG’s gripe into my own about people wasting time and not using a tool so powerful to enhance knowledge with such accessible information … legitimate information

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a head ache. I’ve grown fond of grading digitally and using technology for feedback. It’s getting more difficult. AI can’t go into the text we are reading though and provide textual evidence and citations though and that’s where I was able to “get” kids this year that used it in my class.

this makes so much more sense than banning its use … all our reports had to have footnotes or bibliographies … kryst, that’s what links are good for