• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suns Cut Beasley

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets just put it this way... Wolves and Suns fans wanted this guy out of town after watching him play maybe 20 games or so. What makes you think it will be different a fourth time? (Miami being the 1st)

Miami moved him to clear cap space for the "superfriends", not because he was unwanted or a cancer.

As far as him being a potential cancer if brought to the Lakers this season, who cares? The majority of these players aren't going to be back next season. I'd take that risk to see if they could hit with Beasley. If it's Beasley or Shawne Williams, I'll take the talent despite the baggage, especially in a largely throw-away season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami moved him to clear cap space for the "superfriends", not because he was unwanted or a cancer.

As far as him being a potential cancer if brought to the Lakers this season, who cares? The majority of these players aren't going to be back next season. I'd take that risk to see if they could hit with Beasley. If it's Beasley or Shawne Williams, I'll take the talent despite the baggage, especially in a largely throw-away season.

:agree: The Lakers are in a position that they are rarely in!! They literally have nothing to lose!! No one expects them to compete for a title (except probably Kobe, LOL!!) and as you said, most of these guys won't be on the team past this season!!

May as well take a flyer on a talented player with some baggage like Beasley and see what happens!!

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: The Lakers are in a position that they are rarely in!! They literally have nothing to lose!! No one expects them to compete for a title (except probably Kobe, LOL!!) and as you said, most of these guys won't be on the team past this season!!

May as well take a flyer on a talented player with some baggage like Beasley and see what happens!!

too bad this clown's literally a brain cramp with legs. sorry, i know we're gonna be putting in a lot of time evaluating talent this season for the Lakers future roster and all, but this goofball's not even worth the effort of inking a one year deal for...

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very odd theory you have.

1) Wolves fans as whole would 100% disagree with your assessment. Beasely was beasting for them the first year. If anything, the Wolves as an organization, a fanbase, loved Beasley because they had a steal on their hands.

2) You may speak for the Arizona fanbase, not sure if they all agree with you, but after 20 or so games, what Beasley did on the court should not force the ire of the entire fan base. He simply had some great nights and some awful nights...inconsistent.

3) The premise that signing with the Lakers would extend the troubles of this so called "bad seed" for the 4th time, is false and is an injustice in characterizing people. In Miami, it was all about the 3 superfriends. Whether Beasley was the rookie of the year or a pedaphile or what not, his remaining 10 mil salary got in the way of that superfranchise coming together. if he was making 1-2 mil, he might still be a Heat. And it looks like the Heat wouldn't mind having him back.

In reality, Phoenix is really the only place that he wasn't wanted and was a mistake for both sides. Minny had to let him go because he was a FA and redundant with rookie D. Williams in the wings.... So what happened in Phoenix? Seems like he and Gentry had different visions on PT. Then Beasley checked himself out. it happens.

What it comes down to is the hate Beasley gets, all stem from his usage of the herb. The uneducated would think that being on the herb makes one a cancer - anyone using is the devil himself. Maybe in Arizona. But in California, it ain't no big deal, man. The Warriors' fan base would also zero problem with any player getting a "bogus" possession charge - bogus, since no one should be arrested for having a little weed, let alone 3 counts of felony possession for having 3 blunts. I don't think that would fly here in California.

And that brings me to my odd theory.

To my understanding, the Arizona public defender office can bill the feds if they take on federal cases. Conveniently, marijuana infractions are felonies. More Mj possesion cases = more $$$ in their budget. Easy money. I wonder how many billable hours would they charge for possession of 1 blunt.

As far as what Beasley did, it pales to comparison to what Artest did in his youth. Being arrested for pot just makes Beasley a member of a club which includes some notable names - Camby, Noah, and future Laker Klay Thompson.

I honestly cannot believe I actually wasted my time reading this nonsense. You really need to get a clue. I do not care about him smoking weed or getting busted multiple times for possession. I care about his production on the court and his influence on teammates around him. He NEVER passes the ball, forces up horrible shots, plays lazy defense and is the most inconsistent player I've EVER witnessed in Phoenix. He only cares about himself and HIS stats.
I watch a lot of basketball and played college ball so I know what the hell I'm talking about when I say this... dude is not worth the risk. He not only is a liability ON the court but he is a liability off the court. You really want to throw around millions to a guy that clearly doesn't give a shit about his team? He's not a guy I would like to have on my team if I'm a player. Way too selfish.

I could see taking the risk on him if he was producing and showing his potential and had trouble with the law.... but that's not the case.

How about this.... PLEASE go ahead and post on the Timberwolves thread and ask them if they want the guy back. I've got a few friends that are Wolves fans and they were so glad he was finally gone and made fun on me for my team picking him up. I won't let them speak for the Wolves fan base either, though Wolves fans over on ESPN absolutely hated the guy. Please, be my guest and start a Michael Beasley thread on the Wolves boards. Do it. Go read the comments about him in the Suns boards as well. NO ONE LIKES THIS GUY... If he was that good in Miami then Miami wouldn't have shipped him for the three amigos. Clearly he was expendable... just like at his other three homes. He just wasn't good enough to prove he could be "the guy" even though he plays as if he is...and that's why he keeps moving around.

I don't hate him because he smokes, in fact I don't hate him at all... it's hilarious how you put words in my mouth saying. He's awful, and makes horrible decisions both on and off the court. Enough said. Have a wonderful fucking day.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too bad this clown's literally a brain cramp with legs. sorry, i know we're gonna be putting in a lot of time evaluating talent this season for the Lakers future roster and all, but this goofball's not even worth the effort of inking a one year deal for...

I agree up to a point!! The thing is that whether anyone likes him or not and whether he is a head case or not, he has obvious talent. Someone is going to take a chance on this guy!!

Trust me, I'm not a big fan of signing Beasley. However, if it's a one year vet. min. type deal (or 2 year with team option) then I wouldn't mind. If he comes in and finally figures it out, he's a steal. If he doesn't, then he gets put out on the curb with the rest of the guys who don't make it!!

Bottom line is that the Lakers are in a position to be able to take some chances on some "reclamation projects"!!

Now ask me if I think Beasley will actually figure anything out!!:lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why waste the time and money? Besides, is not all of the roster spots presently filled?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can shut this thread down. He's back with Miami.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree up to a point!! The thing is that whether anyone likes him or not and whether he is a head case or not, he has obvious talent. Someone is going to take a chance on this guy!!

Trust me, I'm not a big fan of signing Beasley. However, if it's a one year vet. min. type deal (or 2 year with team option) then I wouldn't mind. If he comes in and finally figures it out, he's a steal. If he doesn't, then he gets put out on the curb with the rest of the guys who don't make it!!

Bottom line is that the Lakers are in a position to be able to take some chances on some "reclamation projects"!!

Now ask me if I think Beasley will actually figure anything out!!:lol:

Well, the Lakers could still trade for him, maybe, but frankly, I don't think that there is much for Beasley to "figure out" on the floor. Many players in the NBA can average double figures in scoring if they shoot the ball often enough. The truth is that Beasley has constituted a very inefficient and thus ineffective scorer, with a career True Shooting Percentage of .504, even lower than Jason Kidd's .507. Beasley has never even shot .480 on two-point field goal attempts in a season. Thus when he averaged 19.2 points for Minnesota in '10-'11, it was a very 'soft' 19.2 points, coming with a .510 True Shooting Percentage for a 17-win team.

Beasley struggles to create his own shot. He's not quick or explosive enough to shake opposing small forwards one-on-one, and he's not strong enough to post-up power forwards (plus, he gives up too much defensively and on the glass when matched against power forwards). He does possess respectable shooting skill and scoring instincts, but he's basically a long two-point jump-shooter who runs hot-and-cold and needs to be sprung off down-screens to find decent looks. He's thus inefficient almost by definition, and for a forward who struggles in every other aspect of the game, that's not enough.

Add his off-court problems, and he has already become a perpetual journeyman, serving as roster filler (or flotsam, take your pick).

I suppose that Beasley would fit D'Antoni's system as a 'stretch four,' but I don't even think that D'Antoni would want him.

Last edited by a moderator:

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a very odd theory you have.

1) Wolves fans as whole would 100% disagree with your assessment. Beasely was beasting for them the first year. If anything, the Wolves as an organization, a fanbase, loved Beasley because they had a steal on their hands.

2) You may speak for the Arizona fanbase, not sure if they all agree with you, but after 20 or so games, what Beasley did on the court should not force the ire of the entire fan base. He simply had some great nights and some awful nights...inconsistent.

3) The premise that signing with the Lakers would extend the troubles of this so called "bad seed" for the 4th time, is false and is an injustice in characterizing people. In Miami, it was all about the 3 superfriends. Whether Beasley was the rookie of the year or a pedaphile or what not, his remaining 10 mil salary got in the way of that superfranchise coming together. if he was making 1-2 mil, he might still be a Heat. And it looks like the Heat wouldn't mind having him back.

In reality, Phoenix is really the only place that he wasn't wanted and was a mistake for both sides. Minny had to let him go because he was a FA and redundant with rookie D. Williams in the wings.... So what happened in Phoenix? Seems like he and Gentry had different visions on PT. Then Beasley checked himself out. it happens.

What it comes down to is the hate Beasley gets, all stem from his usage of the herb. The uneducated would think that being on the herb makes one a cancer - anyone using is the devil himself. Maybe in Arizona. But in California, it ain't no big deal, man. The Warriors' fan base would also zero problem with any player getting a "bogus" possession charge - bogus, since no one should be arrested for having a little weed, let alone 3 counts of felony possession for having 3 blunts. I don't think that would fly here in California.

And that brings me to my odd theory.

To my understanding, the Arizona public defender office can bill the feds if they take on federal cases. Conveniently, marijuana infractions are felonies. More Mj possesion cases = more $$$ in their budget. Easy money. I wonder how many billable hours would they charge for possession of 1 blunt.

As far as what Beasley did, it pales to comparison to what Artest did in his youth. Being arrested for pot just makes Beasley a member of a club which includes some notable names - Camby, Noah, and future Laker Klay Thompson.

Beasley has received police attention for more than just marijuana possession, and he has been involved in multiple drug incidents.

Police arrested Beasley, 24, on suspicion of marijuana possession and he was released from custody. Scottsdale police said the officer determined Beasley was not impaired, but no further details were released.

It’s the latest legal issue for the Suns forward, who has yet to be cleared in a sexual assault case investigated by Scottsdale police. In January, a woman accused the basketball player and another man of assaulting her in Beasley’s home. No one has been charged.

Nearly two weeks after the claim was made, police cited Beasley for several offenses including speeding, driving on a suspended Arizona license, and driving without a vehicle license plate or registration.

Beasley has a history of drug abuse but claimed to have learned his lesson when he signed a three year, $18-million contract with the Suns in 2012. He went to rehab in 2009 after run-ins with police for marijuana. He was arrested again in 2011.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/20130806phoenix-suns-michael-beasley-arrested-scottsdale-drug-possession-abrk.html?nclick_check=1

Beasley was hardly a "beast" for Minnesota three seasons ago. Indeed, he scored inefficiently for an awful team that won fewer games than he averaged points; see my previous post. In the NBA, many players could record fairly impressive scoring averages if they launched enough shots, but without enough efficiency, their scoring won't be effective.

As for Alvin Gentry, he initially attempted to make Beasley the main man, force-feeding him the ball, letting him play one-on-one constantly, and utilizing him as a point forward. But Beasley proved so inefficient, so unable to shake opposing defenders, and so awful in his decision-making that the coach possessed little choice except to eventually bench him. Yet make no mistake: Beasley started the Suns' first 20 games and averaged 27.6 minutes over Phoenix's first 21 contests.

Michael Beasley 2012-13 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Michael Beasley 2012-13 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

Gentry only benched him because Beasley proved horrendous: in those initial 21 games, he shot .386 from the field and .305 on threes, averaged only 2.2 free throw attempts per contest and shot .739 from the free throw line, posted a .452 True Shooting Percentage, averaged just 11.8 points and fewer points per game than field goals attempted, averaged more turnovers than assists, and averaged a meager 3.9 caroms per contest.

I'm sure that you remember Beasley's great game against the Lakers last January, but that performance constituted an outlier.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beasley is playing good on this team. If you play with Lebron you will get open shots and plenty of opportunities to score and Beasley is getting those shots.

Looks like a good pickup, especially for the postseason.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Miami likes the guy.

The Lakers have more to worry about than Beasley. Jim Buss and D'Antoni are useless. The Lakers need a couple of young all-stars to come on board along with some of this season's bench players. They need to stop playing small and go big again. This isn't 8th grade.

I could care less about Beasley. We need some playmakers who know how to win.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We set all sorts of great records including worst loss in franchise history. I didn't see the game but read a number of articles and with whatever that was last night, it is obvious that this experiment has gone from bad to really bad and Don'tknowi has officially lost this club.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beasley is playing good on this team. If you play with Lebron you will get open shots and plenty of opportunities to score and Beasley is getting those shots.

Looks like a good pickup, especially for the postseason.

:wtf2: This needed a bump?