• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suggs Tears A.T.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Suggs tore his Achilles tendon while playing basketball. Just saw on sportscenter. What bad timing for the Ravens.

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thing they drafted Upshaw.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
amazing how many games he's played and being only 29, then this happens playing a pick up game.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he said it was not in a basketball game, but in a conditioning test

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was ever a time for Kindle to step up it is now. Kindle and Upshaw could be the starters.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was ever a time for Kindle to step up it is now. Kindle and Upshaw could be the starters.

Kruger should be in the mix too. He's shown flashes, but needs to be much more consistent.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7885930

Ravens can absorb loss of Terrell Suggs
May, 3, 2012 11:24AM ET
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

As soon as word spread about Terrell Suggs tearing his Achilles tendon, you could hear the collective cries from Ravens Nation. It's very easy to tear up the playoff tickets right now or want to hand over the AFC North title to the Steelers. But losing Suggs doesn't mean the Ravens should lose hope on the season.

There's no question that it will be difficult to replace Suggs, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year and career franchise leader in sacks, whether it's for the entire season or a good chunk of it. He was all over the field in 2011, becoming the only player last season to record at least five sacks, five passes defensed and five forced fumbles.

The Ravens need a pass-rusher to emerge to replace Terrell Suggs, who had 25 sacks the past two seasons.

The Ravens, though, can overcome Suggs' absence. Why? Because they've done this before.

In 2010, safety Ed Reed spent the first six weeks on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list after offseason hip surgery. Baltimore went 4-2 without him.

Last season, linebacker Ray Lewis was sidelined for four games with a toe injury. The Ravens were 4-0 without Lewis, including victories over San Francisco and Cincinnati.

That's 8-2 when the Ravens didn't have two future Hall of Fame defenders in the lineup. There is an argument that playing without Suggs is different. Lewis and Reed aren't in the prime of their careers, and Suggs is just hitting his stride at age 29.

But there's another argument that Suggs wasn't the most valuable player on the Ravens last season, just the most timely one. Suggs recorded nine sacks and five forced fumbles in three games (season opener against Pittsburgh, Thanksgiving night against San Francisco and Dec. 11 game against Indianapolis). For the other 13 games, he managed the rather ordinary numbers of five sacks and two forced fumbles.

This isn't to minimize Suggs' talent. He always draws the most attention from offenses, which frees up his teammates to make plays. He's a tone-setter in terms of his emotional play. He's up there with the best pass-rushers in the game right now. Left tackles will sleep a lot better knowing Suggs won't be on the field for an extended period. But the statistics from last season show that the Ravens don't need Suggs to make plays in order for them to win.

The challenge is replacing Suggs' presence in the pass rush, especially this season. Look at the quarterbacks on Baltimore's schedule: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Michael Vick, Tony Romo, Carson Palmer and Matt Schaub. This is the season when the Ravens needed Suggs the most.

The Ravens need Paul Kruger (career-high five sacks last season) to continue his progression. They need Haloti Ngata (five sacks) to collapse the middle of the line. They need Pernell McPhee (six sacks) to avoid a sophomore slump. They need Sergio Kindle to get on the field. And they need first-round pick Courtney Upshaw (15.5 sacks past two seasons at Alabama) to make an immediate impact.

Baltimore is a stronger and more fearsome defense with Suggs chasing down quarterbacks. But the Ravens' defense won't flinch without him.

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Osi to Baltimore?
11:40AM ET
Osi Umenyiora | Giants

The Baltimore Ravens have a need for a pass-rusher to replace Terrell Suggs, after the dynamo sustained an Achilles tendon injury recently. Early speculation is that the OLB/DE will miss the entire 2012 campaign, though he claims he's aiming for a return in mid-October to November, according to Aaron Wilson of the Carroll County Times. Internally, the candidates to replace Suggs in the lineup are Sergio Kindle, Paul Kruger and Mike McAdoo.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports has a suggestion for Ozzie Newsome and Co.: give the New York Giants a call and ask what it'll take to get Osi Umenyiora.

It's not a crazy idea: Umenyiora obviously wants out, and he's clearly a more accomplished pass-rusher than any of the three mentioned above. Then again, the Ravens may have cap problems in bringing the DE aboard. Additionally, as ESPN NFC East blogger Dan Graziano writes, it's not like he'd come cheap as far as the return trade package, either:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Dan Graziano
Giants can hold their feet to the fire

"I'm sure they will make that call, and I do believe Umenyiora could play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. But the Giants can and will ask for a lot in return for Umenyiora, whom they control cheaply for next year. They don't fear any distraction he and his contract dispute might bring. They're not desperate to move him. The Ravens are going to need to come strong (possibly with a first-round or second-round pick) if they want to pry him away. Especially because the Giants know they're desperate."

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I'm sure they will make that call, and I do believe Umenyiora could play outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. But the Giants can and will ask for a lot in return for Umenyiora, whom they control cheaply for next year. They don't fear any distraction he and his contract dispute might bring. They're not desperate to move him. The Ravens are going to need to come strong (possibly with a first-round or second-round pick) if they want to pry him away. Especially because the Giants know they're desperate."

I find that pretty idiotic. No way does Ozzie give up a first rounder for a guy the Giants won't have next year. I'm sure losing Suggs will hurt them, but the Ravens will not crumble and they will not give up a high pick for a one year band-aid; that's even IF they even feel like Osi could play OLB for them.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ravens' thoughts on Suggs
9:01AM ET
Terrell Suggs | Ravens

The big revelation this week regarding Baltimore Ravens pass-rusher Terrell Suggs was that eyewitnesses have come forward claiming that he did suffer his injury playing basketball. Our reaction to this news was that this doesn't really change anything relating to Suggs' recovery time-line, so it's not all that relevant after the fact for people that care only about seeing the DE/OLB back in action.

For the Ravens, however, it might be relevant. It is their prerogative to dock part of Suggs' 2012 salary due to the fact that he was allegedly injured in a non-football setting. Throughout the course of this adventure, however, the club has indicated that it had no plans to do this. That idea was backed up by the comments of HC John Harbaugh on Wednesday.

"That's not a conversation we're even having," coach John Harbaugh told Baltimore reporters Wednesday, per the Baltimore Sun. "It's not relevant to anything or has anything to do with what we're trying to accomplish. If it were I guess we'd think about it. The relevant conversation with Terrell Suggs is going to be rehab."

ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley reiterates that while this is a key offseason storyline, the Ravens' front office has much bigger fish to fry right now:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Jamison Hensley
Rice, Flacco, Reed are more pressing

"While there has been no indication that the Ravens have ever thought about taking money away from Suggs, this reaction by the team is a good one for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. If the Ravens were going to put him on the Non-Football Injury list (which would allow them to not pay him for the games he missed), the cause of his injury might have been a topic of conversation for the organization. Honestly, the Ravens have more to worry about from contract talks to their two offensive stars (quarterback Joe Flacco and running back Ray Rice) to Ed Reed's ever-changing mindset about the season."

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the guy they were hoping would replace Suggs in the starting lineup while he was injured also tore his Achilles or was it his ACL? Either way, what shitty luck for the Ravens.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I read that the guy they were hoping would replace Suggs in the starting lineup while he was injured also tore his Achilles or was it his ACL? Either way, what shitty luck for the Ravens.

Yeah, that happened awhile ago, I think. As memory serves, it was a complete tear as opposed to the partial that Suggs has.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ravens owner says team won't dock Suggs pay

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens aren't going to take away or reduce All-Pro outside linebacker Terrell Suggs' $4.9 million salary in the wake of his non-football injury, according to Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti.

The NFL Defensive Player of the Year suffered a torn Achilles tendon in late April that he said occurred during a conditioning drill with multiple reports stating he got injured playing basketball. Suggs has repeatedly denied those reports.

"He got criticized for being out of shape a couple of years ago and he said it would never happen again. He made the Pro Bowl last year and then he made Defensive Player of the Year this Year. I want these guys striving. It gets pretty boring in the weight room. He wasn't kite boarding. I'd like to see that one day. If he's playing basketball, that's great."

Regardless of how Suggs got hurt, the Ravens have the right under the NFL collective bargaining agreement to not pay him or reduce his salary because it was a non-football injury. However, that's not what they plan to do.

Part of the reasoning is that it would be a wildly unpopular move in the Ravens' locker room.

"I think it would send a really bad one, I'd be scared to come to work," Bisciotti said. "I think it would be a terrible message."

Smart move by the Ravens to still pay Suggs even though they could have chosen to reduce his pay. I agree with their owner that it would send a really bad message to the rest of the players. Probably would have been like playing for the Indians in the movie Major League.

Last edited by a moderator: