• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stopping Deflategate from happening again

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, it seems to me if people really thought this issue was important they would want to think preventatively and focus 90% of their attention on the referees and the official protocols of allowing balls into games over what a punishment for a team is going to be. I'd expect this kind of controversy to happen in a HS or div.III game...that's just me... which is why I'm not sure there's anything to see here. What I do see is like 100 threads here and not one of them is a subject topic about Walt Anderson.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, it seems to me if people really thought this issue was important they would want to think preventatively and focus 90% of their attention on the referees and the official protocols of allowing balls into games over what a punishment for a team is going to be. I'd expect this kind of controversy to happen in a HS or div.III game...that's just me... which is why I'm not sure there's anything to see here. What I do see is like 100 threads here and not one of them is a subject topic about Walt Anderson.

It's very simple. Most of the Hooplans that are not Patriots fans hate them with a passion, for two reasons.

1. They are sick of the Pats winning ways much like most fans got tired of the Cowboys, 49ers and Steelers back in the day.

2. They are sick of their favorite team getting their asses beat by New England.

This irrational hatred causes otherwise rational people to overlook the incompetence of Walt Anderson in regards to the pregame inspection and recording of the air pressure in the balls. It causes them to overlook the sham investigation conducted by team of NY hacks and the punishment handed down by a former player who spent his career getting his ass kicked by New England.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the issue of stopping it from happening again, the solution is very simple, but will cost the league a few of it's precious shekels. The league needs to hire a group of professionals, 1 in each teams city to prepare the game balls upon receiving them from the manufacturer and deliver them to the refs before the game.

Personally I would love this solution because we would then get to hear 31 other starting QBs whining about not being able to prep them to their satisfaction which would in essence render this entire situation moot.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the issue of stopping it from happening again, the solution is very simple, but will cost the league a few of it's precious shekels. The league needs to hire a group of professionals, 1 in each teams city to prepare the game balls upon receiving them from the manufacturer and deliver them to the refs before the game.

Personally I would love this solution because we would then get to hear 31 other starting QBs whining about not being able to prep them to their satisfaction which would in essence render this entire situation moot.

Sounds like a good solution. I await a healthy productive discussion from the league this offseason about enacting such a thing. Because I sure can't imagine this happening in say, baseball, where balls with seams wound too tightly are allowed into play because a ballboy gave them to the umpire.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got to agree with Rex on this. The game balls should not be touched by either team until the start of the game. The responsibility needs to be given to the refs to ensure the balls are prepared properly and not tampered with.

Having said this, I have total confidence in Goodell's ability to totally fuck up even the simplest of solutions.