• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stephen F. Austin Multiple Sports hit with Penalties for Ineligible Players

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I have learned;

Always lawyer up
Lie and deny everything
never admit to any wrong doing
Keep filing motions, dismissals, evidence gathering, access to prosecution witnesses

Cases in point: North Carolina and Miami, FL

The models on how NOT to fight the NCAA

Penn State
USC

At least USC and PENN STATE manned up and admitted their wrong doing you do the crime, you do the time.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I have learned;

Always lawyer up
Lie and deny everything
never admit to any wrong doing
Keep filing motions, dismissals, evidence gathering, access to prosecution witnesses

Cases in point: North Carolina and Miami, FL

The models on how NOT to fight the NCAA

Penn State
USC

At least USC and PENN STATE manned up and admitted their wrong doing you do the crime, you do the time.

Don't be putting USC in the same boat as Penn state. I'm not even going to defend Reggie, he took money his parents took free rent for a year and I'm not even gonna remind you that they weren't even boosters, they were wanna be agents who were trying to lure Reggie TO LEAVE USC. Nope , not even gonna say that. So fuck it , punish them for that player . But Penn State? There is no amount of time that makes up for that horrendous shit.

I'm just saying if the NCAA deemed Reggie Bush ineligible and USC got all that and this school had and played eighty fucking two players over multiple years and got less. lol. What the ever lovin fuck.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's clear which way the NCAA wants you to cheat.
The "North Carolina Model" seems to be their preferred method, over the SFA model.

tenor.gif
I’m anything but a fan of the NCAA, but they were 100% correct in the UNC case. The pedagogical/curricular “legitimacy” of a class is not under the NCAA purview. It is under the purview of the regional accrediting body (in the case of UNC, SACS).

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be putting USC in the same boat as Penn state. I'm not even going to defend Reggie, he took money his parents took free rent for a year and I'm not even gonna remind you that they weren't even boosters, they were wanna be agents who were trying to lure Reggie TO LEAVE USC. Nope , not even gonna say that. So fuck it , punish them for that player . But Penn State? There is no amount of time that makes up for that horrendous shit.

I'm just saying if the NCAA deemed Reggie Bush ineligible and USC got all that and this school had and played eighty fucking two players over multiple years and got less. lol. What the ever lovin fuck.
USC got screwed over, in no small part because Mike Garrett was a pompous intransigent ass (not unlike Hootie Ingram at Bama in the mid 90s). The one unpardonable crime in Indy is failure to kiss the ring.

Well, that and not hiring the right attorneys...

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive said this for years. I’d gladly have Washington State take the death penalty if I could enjoy a dominance like SMU did.
I totally understand that. My school ain't gettin' it done playing by the rules and in an ethical manner. We'll just keep losin' if we keep doing it that way.

We need to act more like the colonist in the Revolutionary War instead of the Brithish Army. We ain't gonna win if we march our rag tag guys out in formation, kneel down and fire at the redcoats. We need to be hiding behind trees and ambush their ass and shit. None of this stuffy, honorable warfare. We need to go full on guerilla warfare without any scrouples.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let me get this right . they played 82 ineligible players over a period of seven years? They got THREE years probation and lose a few scholarships for two years and some finger wagging?

USC fans
HugeElatedEelelephant-size_restricted.gif
That was the best they could do. Lil ole SFA can't afford houses for their players parents. Or churches for their players parents. They can only afford ineligibility.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive said this for years. I’d gladly have Washington State take the death penalty if I could enjoy a dominance like SMU did.
SMU won one SWC title during that period. Price won more PAC titles during his tenure.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m anything but a fan of the NCAA, but they were 100% correct in the UNC case. The pedagogical/curricular “legitimacy” of a class is not under the NCAA purview. It is under the purview of the regional accrediting body (in the case of UNC, SACS).

Weren’t those classes used to keep athletes eligible? That’s absolutely in the ncaas jurisdiction if that’s the case. An the ncaa should of had no problem laying down the hammer as they did with a child r*pe cases at penn state.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren’t those classes used to keep athletes eligible? That’s absolutely in the ncaas jurisdiction if that’s the case. An the ncaa should of had no problem laying down the hammer as they did with a child r*pe cases at penn state.
It doesn’t matter. A student can take ANY class offered on campus, and it counts toward eligibility. The classes themselves have to meet requirements under SACS. The NCAA has no authority to determine whether a class is “legitimate” (even if said class is known around campus as a joke). Even if a class is created for the purpose of keeping players eligible, as long as it is approved and the syllabi are being followed, it’s kosher.

Obviously, if a student is not doing the work and simply being assigned a grade for doing nothing, that’s a different matter, especially if it is found to be widespread and with the knowledge of coaches and AD.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t matter. A student can take ANY class offered on campus, and it counts toward eligibility. The classes themselves have to meet requirements under SACS. The NCAA has no authority to determine whether a class is “legitimate” (even if said class is known around campus as a joke). Even if a class is created for the purpose of keeping players eligible, as long as it is approved and the syllabi are being followed, it’s kosher.

Obviously, if a student is not doing the work and simply being assigned a grade for doing nothing, that’s a different matter, especially if it is found to be widespread and with the knowledge of coaches and AD.

Your second paragraph is exactly what I’m arguing. These fake classes were to give players a grade, ala keep them eligible. You have a player (I believe it was McCants) saying as much. I understand it might have been hard to prove but considering the NCAA had no problem dishing out punishment to something like a PSU case, it looks like more than ever they selectively enforce.

An its laughable to think coaches and the AD didn’t know.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your second paragraph is exactly what I’m arguing. These fake classes were to give players a grade, ala keep them eligible. You have a player (I believe it was McCants) saying as much. I understand it might have been hard to prove but considering the NCAA had no problem dishing out punishment to something like a PSU case, it looks like more than ever they selectively enforce.

An its laughable to think coaches and the AD didn’t know.
When they ruled it was a SACS issue, they did so saying the courses themselves were “okay”. If there was cheating or giving away grades, they didn’t address that. And yes, it IS hard to prove. If faculty members kept records on grading, only someone openly admitting it was fake would be enough proof. And UNC has attorneys working for them. The NCAA gets skittish around attorneys.

I agree with you about PSU. I argued for years (and still do) that the NCAA overreached, and got away with it only because the public was so outraged few would dare speak up about it. At that moment, Palermo was public enemy #1, and PSU fans were vilified if they dared say ANYTHING against the NCAA. In any event, that was a textbook CRIMINAL case against Sandusky and several administrators, NOT a case for the NCAA.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When they ruled it was a SACS issue, they did so saying the courses themselves were “okay”. If there was cheating or giving away grades, they didn’t address that. And yes, it IS hard to prove. If faculty members kept records on grading, only someone openly admitting it was fake would be enough proof. And UNC has attorneys working for them. The NCAA gets skittish around attorneys.

I agree with you about PSU. I argued for years (and still do) that the NCAA overreached, and got away with it only because the public was so outraged few would dare speak up about it. At that moment, Palermo was public enemy #1, and PSU fans were vilified if they dared say ANYTHING against the NCAA. In any event, that was a textbook CRIMINAL case against Sandusky and several administrators, NOT a case for the NCAA.

The NCAA not addressing that makes it even worse. You have an actually athlete saying he rarely went to class and had someone write his term papers so he could remain eligible.

Rashad McCants Discusses Alleged Academic Fraud During Time at North Carolina

I also understand it’d be very hard to prove but the ncaa doing nothing was a complete joke. It just emphasizes how big of a joke they are.

Your last paragraph you nailed it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats such bullshit. They are in college and play a sport for that college. If they are taking a fake class to stay eligible then they were fraudulent students.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another bullshit argument about Penn State. Why did they hide the abuse ? So they wouldn't be hurt in recruiting and also hurt the prestige of the school if it's found out their football second in command was a child molester. So doesn't that mean they benefited from years of people not knowing what was going on?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the best they could do. Lil ole SFA can't afford houses for their players parents. Or churches for their players parents. They can only afford ineligibility.
Well if USC had actually been involved in the TWO PEOPLE WITH NO CONNECTION TO USC giving them free rent (not gave them a house) for a year then you'd have a valid point.

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, the fucking FBI, cracks down on bribes, to players. Has recordings of coaches giving bribes and not one coach or school had been busted.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "North Carolina Model" is acceptable because the classes set up were for all students, not just student athletes.

At least, that's the last I heard about it.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "North Carolina Model" is acceptable because the classes set up were for all students, not just student athletes.

At least, that's the last I heard about it.
How convenient right. We as a place of higher learning have fake classes that athletes can take to stay eligible and lets have some regular student in there too just so we won't get the BB program in trouble. So we can say , hey everyone and anyone can take a fake class. All good.lol

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How convenient right. We as a place of higher learning have fake classes that athletes can take to stay eligible and lets have some regular student in there too just so we won't get the BB program in trouble.

That seems to have been the case.

Wonder if they still do that.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another bullshit argument about Penn State. Why did they hide the abuse ? So they wouldn't be hurt in recruiting and also hurt the prestige of the school if it's found out their football second in command was a child molester. So doesn't that mean they benefited from years of people not knowing what was going on?
You could make the same argument by about literally anything a school covers up. The primary reason for not going public was general university reputation. It was a great case for them to pay out the ass. In COURT.