• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steinberg: Ryan Leaf sabotaged draft

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting read, but I think Indy was always going to pick Manning in 1998. Sure they had to do their due diligence on Leaf, but it was always going to be Manning.

Interesting comment by Beathard at the end of the article. If you had reservations why trade up one spot to make sure you get him?

Peyton Manning No. 1 draft pick after Ryan Leaf spurned Jim Mora - ESPN

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear Beathard's interview on Mike and Mike this morning? It was bizarre. When they first asked him about Steinberg's story, he was all like, yeah, Leah called me, I remember that, but we really wanted Manning and tried to get him because we had reservations about Leaf.

But then when pressed and told that one of the guys on the Chargers staff (can't remember his name) said that Beathard would never do something unethical like that, he backtracked bigtime. Suddenly it was, well, that guy has a much better memory than me and I wouldn't do anything unethical.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear Beathard's interview on Mike and Mike this morning? It was bizarre. When they first asked him about Steinberg's story, he was all like, yeah, Leah called me, I remember that, but we really wanted Manning and tried to get him because we had reservations about Leaf.

But then when pressed and told that one of the guys on the Chargers staff (can't remember his name) said that Beathard would never do something unethical like that, he backtracked bigtime. Suddenly it was, well, that guy has a much better memory than me and I wouldn't do anything unethical.

Didn't hear it. I may have to look it up. It doesn't surprise me though. Beathard has probably spent the last 15 years trying to forget picking the biggest bust ever, and trading up a spot to get him. That one pick really tarnished his otherwise successful career as a GM. I think everyone in SD was so desperate to get a QB and after Leaf's season and performance in the Rose Bowl I'm not sure he had much choice but to take him. In retrospect I'm sure he would have rather taken the heat that would have no doubt subsided after Leaf busted.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Broncos6482, looking at your avatar, it is clear that your baby does not want to grow up to be a Bronco's fan.

:laugh3:

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos6482, looking at your avatar, it is clear that your baby does not want to grow up to be a Bronco's fan.

:laugh3:

That's called a yawn. Babies do that.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a cheap, predictable publicity stunt by the author. If this is the best he has to tell us about in the book, I'll pass...

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a cheap, predictable publicity stunt by the author. If this is the best he has to tell us about in the book, I'll pass...

I had know idea he went bankrupt and was a boozer, I thought he just simply retired or cut back on clients...

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt manning tell the colts owners that "they better draft him or he would come back and kick their A** every year"