• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

STEELERS MEDIA THREAD PART 2

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who should be more embarrassed? PIT or Burns? I would say PIT...they're the ones that gave him the 1st round contract and getting 4th rd production...at best.
Definitely PIT. This one stings more than Jarvis Jones.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who should be more embarrassed? PIT or Burns? I would say PIT...they're the ones that gave him the 1st round contract and getting 4th rd production...at best.

I think definitely PIT as a team for sure should be more embarrassed. Our first round drafting has been rather hit or miss the last 6 years. Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree were/have been underwhelming, Dupree is JUST starting to show potential. Career high in QB hits and pass deflections and got his first INT this year. This year might buy him an extra year. Terrell Edmunds hasn't been that bright of a player so far either. Watt and Shazier are really the only guys we've got right in the last 6 years.

We've gotten the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds down pat, but our first round choices seem to be hit or miss lately. Think we need a better scouting team.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think definitely PIT as a team for sure should be more embarrassed. Our first round drafting has been rather hit or miss the last 6 years. Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree were/have been underwhelming, Dupree is JUST starting to show potential. Career high in QB hits and pass deflections and got his first INT this year. This year might buy him an extra year. Terrell Edmunds hasn't been that bright of a player so far either. Watt and Shazier are really the only guys we've got right in the last 6 years.

We've gotten the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds down pat, but our first round choices seem to be hit or miss lately. Think we need a better scouting team.
I actually like what I've been seeing from Edmunds. He's going to be a great leader some day. He's learning quickly and getting better each week. Obviously still makes plenty of errors so I'm not sayin he's a homerun pick just yet, but I'm impressed with how he has handled being thrown into the fire. He's playing just as well as Jessie Bates is for Cincy. I'm sure the stats say different, but they don't tell the whole story.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a big loss for them. Backup better be ready this Sunday.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like what I've been seeing from Edmunds. He's going to be a great leader some day. He's learning quickly and getting better each week. Obviously still makes plenty of errors so I'm not sayin he's a homerun pick just yet, but I'm impressed with how he has handled being thrown into the fire. He's playing just as well as Jessie Bates is for Cincy. I'm sure the stats say different, but they don't tell the whole story.

From what I've seen from Edmunds, he's very REACTIONARY instead of PREVENTATIVE, which I think will come with time. He's more so getting to the receiver after he's already caught the ball, instead of going after the ball and preventing the receiver from catching it. 3 pass deflections in 9 games, 1 in the last 6. I do have hopes for him, don't get me wrong, he's just a rookie, but I'd like to see him play the ball more instead of playing the receiver after the ball is already caught.

Also, 2 DPI calls in the last 3 games.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've seen from Edmunds, he's very REACTIONARY instead of PREVENTATIVE, which I think will come with time. He's more so getting to the receiver after he's already caught the ball, instead of going after the ball and preventing the receiver from catching it. 3 pass deflections in 9 games, 1 in the last 6. I do have hopes for him, don't get me wrong, he's just a rookie, but I'd like to see him play the ball more instead of playing the receiver after the ball is already caught.

Also, 2 DPI calls in the last 3 games.
Well reactionary IS his position. Its not as if he's playing a position that is man 2 man coverage very often. He has to be a reactionary player when playing the safety position. It's only on the goal line & in blitz packages do we see him pickup a receiver man 2 man.

To me it looks like the game is starting to slow down for him. Because in the first few games he looked like he was in slow motion. Now he's definitely playing full speed. Still a raw product but I'm impressed with him for someone I wrote off as a 3rd Rd project at best. I'll admit that I still think Jessie Bates or Justin Reid would have been the right choice, Edmunds has a good demeanor and is learning fast, but Bates & Reid already have the look of a pro safety while Edmunds still looks like a rookie at times.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They should...most of the draft reports we saw listed Burns as a fast but raw CB with good size, had not played much football. Much like with Bud, they feel in love with his athletic ability and probably felt like they could coach him up to a NFL CB. I think the Steelers have needed to invest FA dollars in a CB long before Joe Haden and most certainly instead of offering Bell $60 mil.

That would've bought Burns a yr or 2 to actually learn from watching...maybe they would've gotten a better result with such a raw player...rushing him out there, the kid barely had 2 yrs of playing at Miami if that much and now he's being asked to defend the best WRs in the world? He was going to get torched and dealing with that mentally can be challenging for any young CB. He might be a lost cause.

I thought Bud would be in the 5-6 sack range and if he was they would not rescind the 5th yr option...he's slightly exceeding my expectations.

Some of the 1st round is luck, especially in the mid to late 20s. Vernon Butler is really the only player taken after Burns in the 1st rd that turned out to be much so far...there were several top of the 2nd rd players that have performed better than the 1st rounders picked in 25 to 32.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what we should be doing with Burns. Into Ohio. No net.
Agreed. Or Arizona. But we wouldn't need a catapult for that distance. They'd gladly send someone to pick him up personally.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the 1st round is luck, especially in the mid to late 20s. Vernon Butler is really the only player taken after Burns in the 1st rd that turned out to be much so far...there were several top of the 2nd rd players that have performed better than the 1st rounders picked in 25 to 32.

Kenny Clark was taken 2 picks after Artie and he's been pretty good for Green Bay. Last year, he had 4.5 sacks, he has 5 this year in 9 games. Makes me wonder what it was that our scout saw about Artie Burns that he didn't see about a guy like Kenny Clark or Vernon Butler. James Bradberry for Carolina has been better than Artie as well and he was taken with the 2nd to last pick in the 2nd round.

Unfortunately, that's all hindsight, I'd just like to know what they look for in a first round pick and why we are normally bad at it, but great at 2nd round picks and 3rd round picks. Just wonder if it's a scouting issue or if it's a talent issue.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kenny Clark was taken 2 picks after Artie and he's been pretty good for Green Bay. Last year, he had 4.5 sacks, he has 5 this year in 9 games. Makes me wonder what it was that our scout saw about Artie Burns that he didn't see about a guy like Kenny Clark or Vernon Butler. James Bradberry for Carolina has been better than Artie as well and he was taken with the 2nd to last pick in the 2nd round.

Unfortunately, that's all hindsight, I'd just like to know what they look for in a first round pick and why we are normally bad at it, but great at 2nd round picks and 3rd round picks. Just wonder if it's a scouting issue or if it's a talent issue.
You know, for all the grief we are giving Artie Burns I think we are all forgetting something... The kid proved to be worthy of a 1st Rd draft grade before this season. Albeit he was a very inconsistent product, he still proved to be a superior CB than anything we had seen in the last couple decades. He certainly played with a swagger that I had never seen before. He had a knack for getting into opponent's heads & backed it up with his aggressiveness. You saw it when he got the rare opportunity to play press man coverage. He had violent hands and blanketed receivers with his speed. Exactly what we saw from his college film. Why the coaches didn't let him play more press is beyond me. You draft a press corner, then you should play press. It's that simple, but Tomlin is an idiot... Square peg meets round hole.

So that is the main question with Artie... Where did THAT Artie Burns go? He's his own worst enemy right now. Confidence can be poisonous to a CB. He let too many mistakes get into his head & he started playing scared. He's been given a lot of opportunities to redeem himself & get right, but at this point its fair to say that he's broken. Not even sure a fresh start in a new environment would do him any good.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do feel bad for Artie. He's got a helluva tough background and obtained incredibly rare character from it. Most troubled teenagers take the wrong turn somewhere, whereas Artie stood tall and raised his brothers on his own. Great story and I definitely recommend reading it if you ever come across it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but PIT has gotten similar production from a 3rd rd pick in Hargrave. Clark might have been a BPA in that spot, but I don't think a DT was ever going to be the pick in the 1st round.

As you said hindsight is always 20/20, but the guy that really the guy that made sense would have been Chris Jones as a depth play. Just about every other option would probably have been looked at as a bigger reach than Burns. Xavier Howard, or making a play on one of the injured LBs...probably Miles Jack.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, for all the grief we are giving Artie Burns I think we are all forgetting something... The kid proved to be worthy of a 1st Rd draft grade before this season. Albeit he was a very inconsistent product, he still proved to be a superior CB than anything we had seen in the last couple decades. He certainly played with a swagger that I had never seen before. He had a knack for getting into opponent's heads & backed it up with his aggressiveness. You saw it when he got the rare opportunity to play press man coverage. He had violent hands and blanketed receivers with his speed. Exactly what we saw from his college film. Why the coaches didn't let him play more press is beyond me. You draft a press corner, then you should play press. It's that simple, but Tomlin is an idiot... Square peg meets round hole.

So that is the main question with Artie... Where did THAT Artie Burns go? He's his own worst enemy right now. Confidence can be poisonous to a CB. He let too many mistakes get into his head & he started playing scared. He's been given a lot of opportunities to redeem himself & get right, but at this point its fair to say that he's broken. Not even sure a fresh start in a new environment would do him any good.

Trying to force feed a zone concept to a guy that's still wet behind the ears was a mistake...they absolutely should've let him play press man and work backwards to zone as he got more comfortable. The kid is totally fucked up mentally now. He's still salvageable, but at this point it might take another team.

It's a damn shame we don't get paid 6 or 7 figures to figure this out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do feel bad for Artie. He's got a helluva tough background and obtained incredibly rare character from it. Most troubled teenagers take the wrong turn somewhere, whereas Artie stood tall and raised his brothers on his own. Great story and I definitely recommend reading it if you ever come across it.

I'm aware of his story mostly thru the media. I'm definitely pulling for him to make it in PIt...at this point it's up to him and it's not looking good for a 2nd contract in PIT..

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a damn shame we don't get paid 6 or 7 figures to figure this out.
If Colbert ever retires we should write a personal letter to Art and tell him to list SportsHoopla as his new GM.

I'm aware of his story mostly thru the media. I'm definitely pulling for him to make it in PIt...at this point it's up to him and it's not looking good for a 2nd contract in PIT..
It's feast or famine in the NFL... At least from a fan's standpoint. Fans are brutal.