• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of the AFC West: Mid-Season Thoughts

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're already at mid-season, and while the standings are taking shape, so much can change by week 17. As of now it's:

Broncos: 6-1

Chargers: 5-3

Chiefs: 4-3

Raiders: 0-7 :lol:

I think things are really beginning to click for the Broncos. At the start of the season this team beat two good teams from last year (each went 11-5 in 2013) by a TD apiece and we had fans ready run the organization out of town. The Broncos did not play an aggressive game against the Seahawks until the 4th quarter. While that was and remains disappointing, they went into the bye and emerged a much better team in the past 4 games than we saw in the first 3. This week at New England looms large. The schedule remains stout as well, with 6 of the remaining 9 games on the road, including trips to Kansas City, San Diego, Cincy, and the afore mentioned New England. From where we sit now, those look like tough wins, but like I said, a lot can change.

Chargers fans are a hilarious bunch. I pegged this for an 11-5 team when the season started, but a lot of the fans on the fansided sites could do nothing but trash their own team. Then they climb to a 5-1 start and they are talking Super Bowl titles. Then in the space of four days they go from 5-1 to 5-3 with two losses to AFC West rivals. Now they are trashing their team when not complaining about the refs. Up next for them is a roadie against the Dolphins, where they have struggled to win in the past. The game is not a "must win" but it would certainly be nice for them to avoid 3 straight losses. Especially since the playoff picture in the AFC is looking crowded right now.

The Chiefs may be better than I gave them credit for. It's somewhat ironic because they started out 9-0 last year and I was not impressed. At 4-3 this year they very much are better than I figured them to be. Like Chargers fans, the Chiefs fans have been all over the map with this team so far. After a start of 0-2 they had declared the season lost. Yet with a visit from the hapless Jets this week, it is a safe bet they'll be 5-3 by this time next week. With that said, it would be hilarious to see the Jets pull the upset. And truth be told, it honestly would not surprise me.

And the Raiders...well this article says all that needs to be said about the Raiders:

Not too early to consider 0-16 a possibility for Oakland Raiders - ESPN

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have definitely been put through a pretty tough first half of the schedule. Right now I would say the NE game looks like the toughest one left on the schedule so if we can get a win there I like our chances of finishing 1st overall in the AFC with tie breakers against the Colts and Patriots. We lose this week though and I have to say NE's schedule looks a little easier than ours to close out the season mostly because of the division they play in. So definitely a big game for the Broncos this weekend. Overall though very happy with where this team is at. The defense has looked pretty darn good and even amazing at times. They will need to step up this week and really show up big though. Offensively we seem to be gelling and even showing we have a run game!

The Chargers I think are the Chiefs of this season. Started out looking so strong but I think other than the Seattle game (had them at home) the schedule really has been pretty easy. 2 divisional losses in a row is huge against them. I honestly think they finish 3rd in the division again.

The Chiefs have definitely been a surprise. I thought with all that they loss in the off season they were in for a stinker of a season especially with how lucky they got to have the wins they did last year. I will say this though it is amazing what good coaching can do to help cover up deficiencies on the team. Andy Reid has just flat out impressed me this season. I think he is doing one of his better jobs in his career. I can't wait to see the Seattle/Chiefs game and just see how the Seahawks handle being in a louder stadium than their own.

The Raiders well not much to really say about them but HAHAHAHA! Had some Raider fans talking playoffs before the season started and well like the article you posted they might be lucky to finish with 1 win. I mean the remaining schedule is just ridiculous for them. The Rams might be the only chance they get and that one is on the road. Buffalo maybe with it being a home game but they seem to be turning it back on again and maybe the final game if the Broncos decide to play the B-Team most of the game but even then I do think our back ups could beat the Raiders right now as we just have amazing depth on this team. Hate the thought though of them getting the 1st overall pick.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, ikf. I think the Chargers and Chiefs are pretty much on par with one another as being really solid teams who are capable of beating any other team on any given Sunday. One of them, if not both, is very likely to be in the playoffs. I would actually like seeing them both in (as wild cards). Then we could knock them both out.

CD, I hadn't even thought about the Seahawks going into Arrowhead! I'm definitely going to pencil that one on my calendar. Nov. 16. I will actually be rooting for the Chiefs to stomp on the Seahawks' nuts in that game. You know the Chiefs fans are going to be trying to reset the record for loudest stadium, lol. I would love to see Wilson getting frustrated by the crowd noise as his offense sputters. Man, that's going to be a good one.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins are dismantling the Chargers, 20-0 at halftime. I like what I see in this one...:suds:

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have definitely been put through a pretty tough first half of the schedule. Right now I would say the NE game looks like the toughest one left on the schedule so if we can get a win there I like our chances of finishing 1st overall in the AFC with tie breakers against the Colts and Patriots. We lose this week though and I have to say NE's schedule looks a little easier than ours to close out the season mostly because of the division they play in. So definitely a big game for the Broncos this weekend. Overall though very happy with where this team is at. The defense has looked pretty darn good and even amazing at times. They will need to step up this week and really show up big though. Offensively we seem to be gelling and even showing we have a run game!

The Chargers I think are the Chiefs of this season. Started out looking so strong but I think other than the Seattle game (had them at home) the schedule really has been pretty easy. 2 divisional losses in a row is huge against them. I honestly think they finish 3rd in the division again.

The Chiefs have definitely been a surprise. I thought with all that they loss in the off season they were in for a stinker of a season especially with how lucky they got to have the wins they did last year. I will say this though it is amazing what good coaching can do to help cover up deficiencies on the team. Andy Reid has just flat out impressed me this season. I think he is doing one of his better jobs in his career. I can't wait to see the Seattle/Chiefs game and just see how the Seahawks handle being in a louder stadium than their own.

The Raiders well not much to really say about them but HAHAHAHA! Had some Raider fans talking playoffs before the season started and well like the article you posted they might be lucky to finish with 1 win. I mean the remaining schedule is just ridiculous for them. The Rams might be the only chance they get and that one is on the road. Buffalo maybe with it being a home game but they seem to be turning it back on again and maybe the final game if the Broncos decide to play the B-Team most of the game but even then I do think our back ups could beat the Raiders right now as we just have amazing depth on this team. Hate the thought though of them getting the 1st overall pick.

Damn man, if we go 0fer what makes you think we won't screw up the #1?.

Wow and the phins just scored another one wtf is going on down there. Too much fun on SouthBeach last night?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn man, if we go 0fer what makes you think we won't screw up the #1?.

Wow and the phins just scored another one wtf is going on down there. Too much fun on SouthBeach last night?

Only those who are unfamiliar with the Chargers history in South Florida are surprised by this. The Chargers usually struggle down there. Combine it with the Phins being halfway decent this year and the outcome doesn't surprise me, really.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only those who are unfamiliar with the Chargers history in South Florida are surprised by this. The Chargers usually struggle down there. Combine it with the Phins being halfway decent this year and the outcome doesn't surprise me, really.

Yeah, I am more familiar with the Raiders history in So Fl, and I paid good money to see it too.

I will say there are a ton of great Raider fans in Fl, we showed even when the team didn't.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am more familiar with the Raiders history in So Fl, and I paid good money to see it too.

I will say there are a ton of great Raider fans in Fl, we showed even when the team didn't.

The Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos all three have solid fans, and in good numbers all around the country. The Chargers...not so much.

Ooh! Another pick! This is pure ass-whoopery! 30-0 and the Phins with the ball!

Back to berating Chargers fans, reading some of the blogs following that pasting the Broncos put on them on TNF was a lot of fun. They swore they got hosed on two "game changing" plays, even though Caldwell was definitely down on the one and they committed a penalty on the other.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the beat down continues. 37-0, Dolphins. Ouch.

The Chargers, at this point, are looking like a mediocre team.

The Chiefs look like the 2nd best team in the AFC West.

And then, of course, there are the Raiders.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the final is 37-0. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2014 San Diego Chargers! :pound:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs win, the other AFC West teams lose. The Chargers have played 9 games, the rest have played 8. The Chargers go into a bye this week.

The standings:

Broncos: 6-2

Chiefs: 5-3

Chargers: 5-4

Raiders: 0-8

It's nice to see the Raiders next on the schedule but if the Broncos show up and play pussy ball the way they did tonight, they may be in for a surprise. A hard loss against a quality opponent is one thing. Sleep walking through a big game like this after having extra time to prepare...this Broncos team should be embarrassed.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's nice to see the Raiders next on the schedule but if the Broncos show up and play pussy ball the way they did tonight, they may be in for a surprise. A hard loss against a quality opponent is one thing. Sleep walking through a big game like this after having extra time to prepare...this Broncos team should be embarrassed.

There is way too much talent on this team to get beat so soundly. It is really pissing me off that:
A) We shut down the moment things do not go our way.
B) The shit game planning. Lets take the strength of some our best players away for other teams, that will work.

Why was Julius Thomas hanging around to chip or block? He sucks at that, let him do what he does best. Same with Von Miller. Why take one of your best pass rushers and playmakers and put him in coverage, the weakest part of his game? I am not sure what the game plan was against the patriots but none of it worked. There was not one target that was stopped in the patriots passing game.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is way too much talent on this team to get beat so soundly. It is really pissing me off that:
A) We shut down the moment things do not go our way.
B) The shit game planning. Lets take the strength of some our best players away for other teams, that will work.

Why was Julius Thomas hanging around to chip or block? He sucks at that, let him do what he does best. Same with Von Miller. Why take one of your best pass rushers and playmakers and put him in coverage, the weakest part of his game? I am not sure what the game plan was against the patriots but none of it worked. There was not one target that was stopped in the patriots passing game.

Agreed on misusing both Miller and Thomas. Also don't want to see Ware dropping into coverage like he did a couple of times yesterday.

Pats deserve some credit, but I also agree that we have too much talent to get dominated like we were yesterday. That needs to stop or this could be a third consecutive season that comes to a very disappointing end.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another update, considering we're still at "mid-season."

First the standings:

Broncos: 7-2

Chiefs: 6-3

Chargers: 5-4

Raiders: 0-9

The Chargers being on a bye this past week evens everyone out at 9 games apiece. They went into their bye riding a 3 game skid. Byes can really change a team's direction. I've seen teams go into their bye week hot and come out awful and the opposite. This Chargers team is too talented to stay down for the rest of the season, though. They resume play with two home games against the Raiders and Rams before they finish with some of the toughest sledding of any team in the league. They likely are going to need to go 5-2 down the stretch, but with games @ Baltimore, @ San Francisco, @ Kansas City and vs New England and Denver it would not be a surprise at all to see them go 3-4 or worse. It's an uphill battle for them, to be sure.

The Chiefs are much better than a lot of us gave them credit for. They are winning games with defense and an offense that, like last season, gets it done when it needs to. Last year the defense fell apart and the offense had to up its game, so we know the offense has the potential to move to the next level. If they do that and the defense keeps up what it's doing, this will be a top-tier team moving down the stretch. But they have some tough hurdles to clear as well, starting with Seattle this week. The Seahawks don't appear nearly as dominant as they did last year, but they are still playing good ball. The Chiefs already established some credibility on the season with the 41-14 drubbing over the Patriots. They will be up for this one: an opportunity to confirm their status as contenders. Other notable games down the stretch are the Broncos and Chargers at home, with trips to Arizona and Pittsburgh. All four of these are tough games. The Chiefs also have two contests with the Raiders remaining. I'll not go so far as to suggest those are easy wins, but it does give two softer dates on the schedule. Honestly a 5-2 finish for a repeat of last year's 11-5 would not surprise me at all.

The Broncos may be past the toughest portion of their schedule, but they are not out of the woods yet. The schedule was front loaded with home games, but the road games they did have were brutal. Seattle? New England? Now with a 2-2 mark on the road and 4 home games remaining, the Broncos need to take advantage of lesser opponents. They have the Rams next, a game they should win. But we are fooling ourselves if we think there are any easy wins remaining on the schedule, the closest thing to it being the home finale against the Raiders. Between the Rams and the Raiders are 5 teams that as of now have winning records. This slate includes road games to San Diego and Kansas city, two games we can count on being dog fights. Then there's the trip to Cincy, where the Bengals are good enough to beat anyone, bad enough to be beat by anyone. Which version will show up that week? Still, as stout as the schedule is, I don't see these Broncos any worse than 5-2 down the stretch. That would bring them to 12-4. Would that be enough for HFA or even a first round bye? I don't know.

That brings us to the Raiders. As I implied a few days ago, I think we can officially start the 0-16 watch. I think this team showed a lot of moxie early against the Broncos, but once the Broncos settled into a rhythm the Raiders simply couldn't keep up. That has actually been true to a great extent of a lot of their losses so far. They play with a lot of heart, and for an 0-9 team they don't appear to be letting panic set in. I give them a lot of credit for this. These factors lead me to believe they will pick up a win or two down the stretch. The question is who? The Rams are probably the weakest remaining opponent, and even they appear to be solidly better than the Raiders. And that game is a road game for the Raiders. The Bills are a solid team, but not so solid they can't be had on the road against the Raiders. They also have some divisional games remaining, and anything can happen in those rivalry games, starting with the Chargers who they played close in Oakland. Still, aside from reaching on some of these possibilities, and barring things just clicking for the Raiders, I think 0-16 is a very strong possibility.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B2HC44gCEAE9plj.jpg:large

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It cracks me up that the Raiders were already at 0% by week 3. Whoever made that graph had no confidence at all in them. I do think this graph does a great job of showing though just how up and down this season has been for so many teams. I mean Chiefs after the 1st week left people with little hope that they would do anything this season. Yet now they are looking really good. San Diego after beating Seattle was looking like that team that really threatened the Broncos for AFC West Champion yet after 3 losses is spiraling out of control. Very interested to see how they come out after the Bye Week. It came for them about 2 weeks too late in my opinion but I can see them righting the ship a bit. The Broncos to me have been one of the most consistent teams all year long. Yes we had the stinker against the Patriots but otherwise we consistently have shown we deserve to be near the top in playoff probability.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks at Chiefs game this weekend is very interesting. Our game at Arrowhead later this month is looking scarier and scarier. I'm thinking a win by the Seahawks would be nice to put a little distance between us and the Chiefs.

The other huge game this weekend is Patriots at Colts. It would really help us in late season tie-breakers if the Colts could knock off the Patriots this week.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be rooting for the Colts and Seahawks this week.

I will also be rooting for Manning and Gase to decide running the ball is actually a part of the game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks at Chiefs game this weekend is very interesting. Our game at Arrowhead later this month is looking scarier and scarier. I'm thinking a win by the Seahawks would be nice to put a little distance between us and the Chiefs.

The other huge game this weekend is Patriots at Colts. It would really help us in late season tie-breakers if the Colts could knock off the Patriots this week.

The one time I cheered for the Seahawks this year was against San Diego and they failed me. Going to try and cheer for them again (although them losing does sound nice too) as yes it does help us out in our quest for the division.

I really do think the Colts stand a good chance of beating the Pats. The Colts at home are a tough team for sure. Plus wondering if the Bye came at a bad time for the Pats as they were on cruise control just whooping up on the competition. Sometimes a bye can be very bad for a team. I remember when the Broncos in 2009 started 6-0 then had our Bye week and finished the season 2-8. Not saying they will collapse like we did just this game can be about momentum and anything that gets in the way when a team is hot can be pretty detrimental. Plus I think this game means a bit more for Indy than it does NE.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders are going to beat somebody down the stretch, maybe even pull out 2 games. They are not as bad as their record, and Derek Carr seems to be an outstanding leader with the skills to back it up. I could see them beating the Rams and the Bills, or maybe any of the other teams they will play not named the Broncos.

The Chargers are probably a little better than they have been playing lately, but at this point I would say they will probably just miss the playoffs.

The Chiefs look like a good team with the potential to be great. They have showed great potential on both sides of the ball, and if they can put it all together leading up to the playoffs, they will be a tough out for anyone, including the Broncos. I'm really looking forward to that game between the Chiefs and the Seahawks. It should be a good barometer game for both teams.

The Broncos of course, are the class of the division and should end up with a 1st round bye, if not HFA. However, that's far from a lock with only a 1-game lead on the Chiefs and 1 game left against the Chiefs. They played us close in the 1st meeting this season, and I'm expecting the 2nd meeting to be another hard fought close game. And it will be in Kansas City. This looks like the Broncos' toughest remaining game, with the Charger game being the second toughest. The Broncos will have to be focused and bring their A-game for this one. The winner of the AFC West could very well come down to who wins this game.