• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford's Sacks Last Year

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2013 Quarterbacks: True Sack Rate

-Stafford took 11 sacks from blown blocks(47.8% of all sacks)
-Stafford took 6 coverage sacks(26.1% of all sacks)
-Stafford had 5 sacks of a rusher being untouched(21.7% of all sacks)
-Stafford had 0 sacks of "other" pressure(0%)
-Stafford had 1 sack of a failed scramble(4.1% of all sacks)
-Stafford had 0 sacks of him being at fault(0%)

The Lions gave up 23 total sacks. This stat obviously has to do with QB play, but it also is rating out the O-line to a degree.

Here are some very good-"elite" QBs and how many blown block sacks they had:
Brees-37
Manning-17
Brady-27
Aaron Rodgers-11
Russell Wilson-20
Big Ben-28

Our O-line did a pretty good job protecting Stafford imo and from this data. Now his forced throws and ints need to be corrected or all the good blocking in the world won't get us anywhere as a team.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2013 Quarterbacks: True Sack Rate

-Stafford took 11 sacks from blown blocks(47.8% of all sacks)
-Stafford took 6 coverage sacks(26.1% of all sacks)
-Stafford had 5 sacks of a rusher being untouched(21.7% of all sacks)
-Stafford had 0 sacks of "other" pressure(0%)
-Stafford had 1 sack of a failed scramble(4.1% of all sacks)
-Stafford had 0 sacks of him being at fault(0%)

The Lions gave up 23 total sacks. This stat obviously has to do with QB play, but it also is rating out the O-line to a degree.

Brees-37
Manning-17
Brady-27
Aaron Rodgers-11
Russell Wilson-20
Big Ben-28

Our O-line did a pretty good job protecting Stafford imo and from this data. Now his forced throws and ints need to be corrected or all the good blocking in the world won't get us anywhere as a team.

Can you post Russell Wilsons failed scramble sacks? I'm interested in this stat. Also, what is "Sacks from other pressure?" That sounds like somebody reaching.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you post Russell Wilsons failed scramble sacks? I'm interested in this stat. Also, what is "Sacks from other pressure?" That sounds like somebody reaching.

Other Pressure (OPRES): I lumped together plays that were charted as "Overall Pressure" (could mean multiple rushers) or "Blown Block/Rusher Untouched" (both could happen on same play). So no, nobody's reaching. He's just adding together a couple categories that could happen on the same play.

As for your favorite QB, he had one sack from failed scrambles.

Last edited by a moderator:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other Pressure (OPRES): I lumped together plays that were charted as "Overall Pressure" (could mean multiple rushers) or "Blown Block/Rusher Untouched" (both could happen on same play). So no, nobody's reaching. He's just adding together a couple categories that could happen on the same play.

Interesting considering he scrambles.....Stafford is still my pimp though.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford to me is a Brett Farve clone. He has one of the quickest releases and strongest arms in the NFL. Even if he fixes his mechanics. He will always be a gunslinger at heart and Lions fans will have to live and die with the risks he takes.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford to me is a Brett Farve clone. He has one of the quickest releases and strongest arms in the NFL. Even if he fixes his mechanics. He will always be a gunslinger at heart and Lions fans will have to live and die with the risks he takes.

Agree, but he can't scramble as good as Favre did......If Matty just could learn to dump it off to the underneath guy he would be very successful.

He tries sometimes but instead of a dump pass that goes for 14 yards he rockets in a pass the RB or underneath WR can't handle at short distance.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hate em both. Selfish bastards...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but he can't scramble as good as Favre did......If Matty just could learn to dump it off to the underneath guy he would be very successful.

He tries sometimes but instead of a dump pass that goes for 14 yards he rockets in a pass the RB or underneath WR can't handle at short distance.

Yeah, he was actually pretty quick his first two seasons until he had to bulk up to avoid the injuries. Some people may disagree but I think he can win us a super bowl at some point in his career.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he was actually pretty quick his first two seasons until he had to bulk up to avoid the injuries. Some people may disagree but I think he can win us a super bowl at some point in his career.

I think he can win us one too, but not with this secondary we have....It's a passing league and we can't stop the pass......

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees-37
Manning-17
Brady-27
Aaron Rodgers-11
Russell Wilson-20
Big Ben-28

I'm not trying to be negative, so please, hear me out. I do like the direction our offensive line is heading. They are young and will hopefully, only get better.

That being said -- Stafford has A LOT to do with the amount of sacks he takes. He throws the ball away or forces the ball down field, instead of tucking the ball and taking a sack. I think that is where a lot of turnovers come from and the reason his completion % has continued to drop.

His best season at QB for Detroit is the season he was sacked, by far, the most in his career. He took 13 more sacks in 2011 than in 2013. He took care of the ball better than any year and completed the highest % of passes. I like that he has the confidence to try any type of throw, but Detroit is better off with him eating the ball and taking a sack.

Other reason why I believe Stafford has a lot to do with the sack total -- Detroit was one of the top teams in 2012, with almost a completely different OL, in sack totals. It is the same with a QB like Peyton Manning. It doesn't matter what OL you put in front of him -- he will be one of the least sacked QB's because he gets rid of the ball and rarely takes sacks.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1 sack from failed scrambling? Now I would like to know the stat on Who scrambled more times......Give me that stat and I will surmise whether Russell Wilson is a game manager or game changer.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford has A LOT to do with the amount of sacks he takes. He throws the ball away or forces the ball down field, instead of tucking the ball and taking a sack. I think that is where a lot of turnovers come from and the reason his completion % has continued to drop.

His best season at QB for Detroit is the season he was sacked, by far, the most in his career. He took 13 more sacks in 2011 than in 2013. He took care of the ball better than any year and completed the highest % of passes. I like that he has the confidence to try any type of throw, but Detroit is better off with him eating the ball and taking a sack.

Would agree completely with TrustMe on this. There were several key moments last season where I wish Stafford had taken a sack and protected the ball rather than throwing it.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he can win us one too, but not with this secondary we have....It's a passing league and we can't stop the pass......

a-chance.gif

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to be negative, so please, hear me out. I do like the direction our offensive line is heading. They are young and will hopefully, only get better.

That being said -- Stafford has A LOT to do with the amount of sacks he takes. He throws the ball away or forces the ball down field, instead of tucking the ball and taking a sack. I think that is where a lot of turnovers come from and the reason his completion % has continued to drop.

So taking a sack or two and punting is better than a INT and putting the defense in a bad spot?

HMMM some say you are just negative. I read that as football101 damn near football for dummies...

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 sack from failed scrambling? Now I would like to know the stat on Who scrambled more times......Give me that stat and I will surmise whether Russell Wilson is a game manager or game changer.

IMO is a mix of both. He is nowhere near elite or will he even remotely be there in next few years. He is the perfect QB for that Seattle defense. He will make a few plays that help in a victory. He will not IMO be the QB to put a team on his back and carry them. You just said other day you watch the game and don't always give into to what stats say. My eyes say a perfect mixture of both.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So taking a sack or two and punting is better than a INT and putting the defense in a bad spot?

HMMM some say you are just negative. I read that as football101 damn near football for dummies...

Yeah dont take a sack AND dont throw an INT. Chuck it out of bounds and play on....why lose yards only to punt or why give the team a short field.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO is a mix of both. He is nowhere near elite or will he even remotely be there in next few years. He is the perfect QB for that Seattle defense. He will make a few plays that help in a victory. He will not IMO be the QB to put a team on his back and carry them. You just said other day you watch the game and don't always give into to what stats say. My eyes say a perfect mixture of both.

Yeah put russel wilson on jax or cleveland and hes just another starting QB.