• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla's All-Time Greatest CFB Program Tourney v.2 - Cons Semis - 8 Nebraska v 14 Florida St

Who has an all-time better football program?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winners face off for 5th place.
Losers face off for 7th place.

CONSOLATION SEMIS - WEEK 12

Matchup #24 - #8 Nebraska vs #14 Florida State
Matchup #23 - #6 USC vs #7 Texas

View attachment 211586

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Sooners on tHoop than you can beat with several sticks??
:noidea:

True

And I don't argue with them being a solid final four in this thing. It's all time though and until 15 years ago ND was an easy no. 1. Bama has passed that and OU has a more recent natty but historically I don't get it. OU is up 2-1 on playoff appearances but ND was undefeated heading into the last BCS game so thats a wash. OU went back to back to tie ND in Heisman trophy winners so last 20 years that's a win but for an all time vote in a sport that aside from baseball puts history on a pedestal its cute. And for a school that has fans who talk alot about the streak, well the school that ended the streak deserves some credit.

It's a good debate but if you are splitting hairs on the GOAT you gotta take the standard bearer for excellence here

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okie jr's all bent out of shape with Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Rightly so, as the Huskers are 37-5 on them all-time with a 25 game winning streak in there.

tenor.gif

FSU rules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nebraska

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the blue fuck did Oklahoma beat Notre Dame?

True

And I don't argue with them being a solid final four in this thing. It's all time though and until 15 years ago ND was an easy no. 1. Bama has passed that and OU has a more recent natty but historically I don't get it. OU is up 2-1 on playoff appearances but ND was undefeated heading into the last BCS game so thats a wash. OU went back to back to tie ND in Heisman trophy winners so last 20 years that's a win but for an all time vote in a sport that aside from baseball puts history on a pedestal its cute. And for a school that has fans who talk alot about the streak, well the school that ended the streak deserves some credit.

It's a good debate but if you are splitting hairs on the GOAT you gotta take the standard bearer for excellence here

I wouldn't have ND #1 and I am not sure how far we would need to go back for me to make them my #1, but I do agree that as time continues on, these things change. In my opinion and my opinion does change often with how I may be extrapolating the information...

1. Bama
2. Ohio St
3. Oklahoma
4. Notre Dame
5. USC
6. Nebraska
7. Michigan
8. Texas
9. Penn St
10. Florida St

Honorable mention (a.k.a. #11): Tennessee

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Everyone is going to place teams differently based on how they are emphasizing whatever statistical category they deem more pertinent, but fact is that most can at least agree on who should all be in the top 10.

With that said, people that rate Michigan not only higher than Nebraska, but in the top 5 will continue to baffle me though.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all this said, FSU has been a fucking nightmare in the post season for us lol.

We are 2-2 in the regular season against FSU and both losses were close games, both wins were relative blowouts. But that fucking post season Nebraska is 0-4 against them with 2 of the losses being close games, 1 by 2 possessions, and one beat down lol.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okie jr's all bent out of shape with Oklahoma and Nebraska.

Rightly so, as the Huskers are 37-5 on them all-time with a 25 game winning streak in there.

tenor.gif

I was like wtf on this but then I looked back at my vote. I was thinking about Florida State when I was a kid vs Nebraska in the 70's and kinda forgot about what Nebraska did when I was a kid. Plus for Nebraska '87 vs. OU was the first game I remember really paying attention to so there is that.

I don't have either program winning this but I changed my vote.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have ND #1 and I am not sure how far we would need to go back for me to make them my #1, but I do agree that as time continues on, these things change. In my opinion and my opinion does change often with how I may be extrapolating the information...

1. Bama
2. Ohio St
3. Oklahoma
4. Notre Dame
5. USC
6. Nebraska
7. Michigan
8. Texas
9. Penn St
10. Florida St

Honorable mention (a.k.a. #11): Tennessee

Notre Dame has a national following. Everyone else in your top 10 is important but they have a regional following. Saban is the greatest coach in the history of the sport and no. 2 coached at the same school. That superceded what Rockne, Parseghian, and Holtz did.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame has a national following. Everyone else in your top 10 is important but they have a regional following.

What? What are you basing this on? Being the most popular independent? I have been all over the country and (I'm not trying to brag here) but I have literally met MANY more Nebraska fans than Notre Dame fans and that was NOT seeking them out. This is just a silly comment, fans of teams exist all over the country. Half of my family lives in Arizona... there are literally Iowa and Nebraska football specific bars there and in many other places. On second thought, I don't even know why this is a topic.

Fan base =/= all time football great. This is a stats conversation.

Saban is the greatest coach in the history of the sport and no. 2 coached at the same school. That superceded what Rockne, Parseghian, and Holtz did.

What does this have to do with anything either?

I am not saying that Notre Dame is not a good program. All I am simply saying is that they would be my #4 all time program and that I am not sure how far back I would need to go to say when they would be #1... but it would need to be a while as I have Ohio St, Oklahoma, and Bama ahead of ND.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? What are you basing this on? Being the most popular independent? I have been all over the country and (I'm not trying to brag here) but I have literally met MANY more Nebraska fans than Notre Dame fans and that was NOT seeking them out. This is just a silly comment, fans of teams exist all over the country. Half of my family lives in Arizona... there are literally Iowa and Nebraska football specific bars there and in many other places. On second thought, I don't even know why this is a topic.

I am not saying that Notre Dame is not a good program. All I am simply saying is that they would be my #4 all time program and that I am not sure how far back I would need to go to say when they would be #1... but it would need to be a while as I have Ohio St, Oklahoma, and Bama ahead of ND.

At the end of the day it's about opinions and each to their own.

I see this as less about stats and more about historical legacy. Google greatest college football movies of all time and you get Rudy and Ronald Reagan saying "Win one for the Gipper." They had the deal with NBC long before anyone knew what tier 3 rights were. The old saying was Notre Dame doesn't recruit. Notre Dame selects. I feel weird defending them this hard but they were always something different.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't understand how we lost the opener to Ohio State, considering they have never beat us on the field
of play.

6-2 vs Nebraska all-time, while on a 4 game winning streak. And no games in Tally.
4 reg season at Nebraska and 4 in bowl games.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your fanbase comment is delusional. Naturally fans notice their own fans more than they notice the variety of other fans out there.

Sticking with "stats" Notre Dame has:
-more than double the number of national championships that Nebraska does
-better winning percentage
-more than double the number of Heisman winners

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day it's about opinions and each to their own.

I see this as less about stats and more about historical legacy. Google greatest college football movies of all time and you get Rudy and Ronald Reagan saying "Win one for the Gipper." They had the deal with NBC long before anyone knew what tier 3 rights were. The old saying was Notre Dame doesn't recruit. Notre Dame selects. I feel weird defending them this hard but they were always something different.

Well like you said, to each their own. I would simply disagree completely, especially based on those rather frivolous reasons when discussing greatest program of all time. But as I already said, I would spot them in at #4, so not far off.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your fanbase comment is delusional. Naturally fans notice their own fans more than they notice the variety of other fans out there.

It isn't delusional, it's fact based on my experiences. But again, fan base has ZERO to do with this conversation. So it is ultimately irrelevant... like Oregons history/lack-there-of.

Sticking with "stats" Notre Dame has:
-more than double the number of national championships that Nebraska does
-better winning percentage
-more than double the number of Heisman winners

That's cute. And your dumbass point is what exactly? I placed ND higher than Nebraska on my own all time list, you bum. I am not talking down ND, I just don't think they are top 3 all time, that's it. I have them at #4 all time.