• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla Top 25 Week 5 2015

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, ESPN FPI does but I don't care for it to be honest. Direct human input as data kind of ruins the reason I like computer data.

Yes the good ones do. What you are talking about is referred to as garbage time and the better ones do. Not all, mine didn't but it was something I was working on as it required play by play stats rather than game stats.

The same factors that show Iowa St was a fluke are still used to determine the data presented now.

If the ranking is:

18. Stanford
19. Northwestern

Then yes that is a bit silly. But when you have a gap for other reasons than head to head, then it does not make sense. Just as it wouldn't make sense to rank Iowa St ahead of Oklahoma St in 2011 after that loss.

If you want to believe that the Iowa St vs Oklahoma State situation is what this is that's fine. But, the computers had way more data to understand how those two teams were when the game was played. They knew the strength of their opponents. I'm sure the computer thought the better team lost when Michigan lost to App State, but Michigan would've been favored by a whole lot less if the rematch was after the season.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to believe that the Iowa St vs Oklahoma State situation is what this is that's fine. But, the computers had way more data to understand how those two teams were when the game was played. They knew the strength of their opponents. I'm sure the computer thought the better team lost when Michigan lost to App State, but Michigan would've been favored by a whole lot less if the rematch was after the season.

Well more data is always better, but less data doesn't automatically mean it's incorrect. It's just the same principles with less data.

4-6 weeks is what it takes in most cases to start getting meaningful results.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well more data is always better, but less data doesn't automatically mean it's incorrect. It's just the same principles with less data.

4-6 weeks is what it takes in most cases to start getting meaningful results.
Why are you even commenting if you refuse to vote????

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, we got some sorry ass mods. Wish Hammer would have let me stick this

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we just do combine style testing and have everything played on computers since on the field don't result to many of you here. Last year Alabama should have moved on rather than Ohio State because the advance statistics said that they are the better team and the big bad draft scared Alabama from playing to their potential.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say is cool story. Sorry bama just kept giving the ball up and let ole Miss score effortlessly in the red zone. I think you are a good poster but we just going to disagree on this one. Who knows tho maybe we get blasted by Florida in the swamp and I get shit thrown in my face.
:hope: :pray:

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA in the #3 spot? Shouldn't Ole Miss be there?!? Haha

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gots a job you mofos!! I stickied it as soon as I got home. From now on I will make sure to sticky this mother fucker on Wednesday night.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we just do combine style testing and have everything played on computers since on the field don't result to many of you here. Last year Alabama should have moved on rather than Ohio State because the advance statistics said that they are the better team and the big bad draft scared Alabama from playing to their potential.
This.

I mean, why even play the fucking games? I think people get carried away with all this fucking fluff. The game is played on the field and that's what counts. I don't give a fuck about a bunch of stats based on opinions or anything else for that matter. Win the game, that's all that matters.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

I mean, why even play the fucking games? I think people get carried away with all this fucking fluff. The game is played on the field and that's what counts. I don't give a fuck about a bunch of stats based on opinions or anything else for that matter. Win the game, that's all that matters.

It's not an either/or type deal.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff like this is cool to look at and talk about. I'm intrigued how so many people can construct so many variations of ways to rank/measure teams...but some people take it way too serious.

Some guise turn into bitches when their team tanks a game...it's like they get a period.

Had to plonk him. :rip:

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stuff like this is cool to look at and talk about. I'm intrigued how so many people can construct so many variations of ways to rank/measure teams...but some people take it way too serious.

Some guise turn into bitches when their team tanks a game...it's like they get a period.

Had to plonk him. :rip:
Can't really blame the hardcore College Football fans out there! I mean if they have a lot of passion and care for the Team I mean why not be like that haha

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spend more time doing mine than most coaches do.

But I don't take it that seriously.
Mine will be changing drastically from week to week like the committee is suppose to do.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would like to know how West Virginia is ranked so high?
Most schools would be 3-0 with their schedule.

They have been totally dominate in those games. Have to be ranked.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU lost to Baylor last year in the last moments of the game, with some help from the zebras, on Baylors home turf.

Anyone who watched that game would tell you that if that game was on a neutral field, TCU takes AT LEAST 3 of 5.

That was the fifth game of the season.

Baylor seemingly regressed after that game and TCU seemingly got better after that game.

If they were to have met again in a conf. champ. game, Vegas would have had TCU as a 7.5 point favorite AT LEAST.

Head to head is nice and all, but doesn't tell the whole story every time.

This. TCU Baylor last year is a perfect example of why you can't compare H2H results at face value.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
H2H loses value as more games are played but 4 games in? Come on now

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gots a job you mofos!! I stickied it as soon as I got home. From now on I will make sure to sticky this mother fucker on Wednesday night.
:dhd:

I gots one too. I know bamabear is out teabaggin all day, but damn