• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sports reporter arrested, jailed after allegedly issuing death threat to WHL player

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A freelance reporter based in Kelowna, B.C. was arrested and appeared in court this week after a report surfaced she allegedly uttered a death threat to her ex-boyfriend, Jackson Playfair, a right winger for the Western League’s Tri-City Americans.
Tieja MacLaughlin, 25, and Playfair, 19, had been in a relationship since July and according to the Tri-City Herald, MacLaughlin threatened to kill Playfair after learning he had been on a date with someone else.
The Herald obtained a police document and reported MacLaughlin told Playfair last Friday she was on her way to Kennewick, Wash., where the Americans are based, to confront him. During the phone call, she allegedly told Playfair “he would be dead by the end of the night.”
In an interview with police, MacLaughlin denied making the threat, according to a court document.
Playfair told police authorities in Kennewick and they confronted MacLaughlin at an area hotel and informed her she would be placed under arrest if she had further contact with him. She allegedly promised to return to Canada and cease making contact with Playfair.
MacLaughlin then reportedly contacted Playfair by text message asking him to meet her at the Kennewick hotel. Police told Playfair to pretend to agree to the meeting, then dispatched officers to arrest her Jan. 18. She is being held without bail.
MacLaughlin appeared in court Jan. 21 on charges of felony threats, the Herald reported. According to court documents, she denied making threatening statements to Playfair.
Playfair told Kennewick police he and MacLaughlin had been dating since July and admitted their relationship “has been a rocky one.”
Playfair is the son for former NHL player and coach Jim Playfair and the nephew of long-time ex-Sabre Larry Playfair. Jackson Playfair spent last season and most of this season with the Spokane Chiefs before a trade to Tri-City in Jan. 10.
MacLaughlin is a freelance report in Kelowna, B.C., and has covered the local Rockets WHL team for the Kelowna Daily Courier and Castanet Media. She is a graduate of Wilfred Laurier University in Kitchener, Ont., and according to her LinkedIn profile previously worked or interned for the Kitchener Rangers and Ottawa Senators.
THN attempted to contact MacLaughlin, but she did not respond.

Sports reporter arrested, jailed after allegedly issuing death threat to WHL player | Post-to-Post

Bitches be trippin'

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like he said vs she said to me. There has to be more than that to convict her, even if she did threaten his life. Maybe he needs to play fair?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like he said vs she said to me. There has to be more than that to convict her, even if she did threaten his life. Maybe he needs to play fair?

Did you even read the article?

Emphasis mine:
Playfair told police authorities in Kennewick and they confronted MacLaughlin at an area hotel and informed her she would be placed under arrest if she had further contact with him. She allegedly promised to return to Canada and cease making contact with Playfair.

MacLaughlin then reportedly contacted Playfair by text message asking him to meet her at the Kennewick hotel. Police told Playfair to pretend to agree to the meeting, then dispatched officers to arrest her Jan. 18. She is being held without bail.

MacLaughlin appeared in court Jan. 21 on charges of felony threats, the Herald reported. According to court documents, she denied making threatening statements to Playfair.

She was told - and agreed - to not have any more contact with him. Then she sent him a text message, which is absolutely not he said she said since it can be easily verified by showing his phone to the police and/or contacting the phone company.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mattola'ed

johnnie-walker-black-label-scotch-whisky.jpg

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you even read the article?

Emphasis mine:

She was told - and agreed - to not have any more contact with him. Then she sent him a text message, which is absolutely not he said she said since it can be easily verified by showing his phone to the police and/or contacting the phone company.

That's fine, but the death threat is baseless as far as I could see.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids today. :tsk:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine, but the death threat is baseless as far as I could see.

Judge Doob has decided it's baseless, therefore we'll throw it out.

She claims she didn't make a threat. He felt that his life was threatened and spoke to police about it. Police spoke to her about it. Even though she most likely did not admit issuing a threat when speaking to police - since that would be confessing to a crime - agreed to the condition that she should not contact him or else be arrested.

If the police made that statement to her - and let's not forget that she agreed to it - they must have believed there was some merit to the claim made by Playfair.

But hey, you read one news article (poorly apparently), so you're more well informed.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
unlike u.s. local newscasts, cdn tv news programming usually shies away from the sexualization of a female perp ... but global did its best to change that up last night ... glamour shots of the gal as well as a bikini shot ... a bit much :noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judge Doob has decided it's baseless, therefore we'll throw it out.

She claims she didn't make a threat. He felt that his life was threatened and spoke to police about it. Police spoke to her about it. Even though she most likely did not admit issuing a threat when speaking to police - since that would be confessing to a crime - agreed to the condition that she should not contact him or else be arrested.

If the police made that statement to her - and let's not forget that she agreed to it - they must have believed there was some merit to the claim made by Playfair.

But hey, you read one news article (poorly apparently), so you're more well informed.

I'm sorry, didn't realize you knew exactly what happened, always thought you were innocent until PROVEN guilty, my bad.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bitches be crazy

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, didn't realize you knew exactly what happened, always thought you were innocent until PROVEN guilty, my bad.

I dont see him convicting her anywhere...

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that everyone is just joking around, but if you think about it I'm pretty sure that plenty of men have beaten and killed their girlfriends for less, let alone vaguely threatened them. It ain't just bitches who be so crazy.

But honestly if he called the cops and no one ended up getting shot I'd generally consider that lucky anyway. :wink:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see him convicting her anywhere...

So where is the proof that she threatened his life? All I see is that she contacted him without permission. That has been my stance all along.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"She attempted to make contact and apparently at one time made threats to that 19-year-old to kill him as a result of that infidelity."

Blatman says police visited MacLaughlin at her hotel room Friday and warned her to return home to Kelowna.

"She failed to do that. Over the next 24 hours she sent over 50 text messages to the 19-year-old (Jackson)," says Blatman.

"As a result of that she was recontacted and as a result of recommendations from the prosecutors office she was picked up and arrested on felony threats/harassment and booked into the Benton County jail."

According to a report published in The News Tribune, MacLaughlin appeared in Benton County District Court Tuesday on an investigative hold for felony threats.

The judge instructed her to have no further contact with Playfair while the case is pending.

theyll prob get her on the harrassment ... 50 text messages after she was told to stop ???

holding her so they can investigate the death threat ... harder to prove

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relatedly, wood...

tieja-maclaughlin.jpg

Especially since the craziest ones are always fun, if you know what I mean. :eyebrows: