• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sox/Royals Weekend Series 8/28-8/30

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our boys had to really earn that one tonite. Like I've been saying, you can't take any team for granted. The Royals are tougher than their record shows. Gutty team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moved his ass down but keeps Grandal up. Our manager is such a screwball when it comes to our batting order.
Well, he had Grandal at the right spot tonite with his walk off dinger.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he had Grandal at the right spot tonite with his walk off dinger.
you know .... this could go on for a long time. when he sucks he sucks. when he does good he does good. only over the season (4 really) can we tell if he's worth what we paid.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know .... this could go on for a long time. when he sucks he sucks. when he does good he does good. only over the season (4 really) can we tell if he's worth what we paid.
All comes down to winning at the end of the day. If he is part of a team that wins some pennants, the dollar size of the contract will hopefully be an afterthought.

He threw out a runner from his knees and walked it off tonight. I'll take it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've previously stated that at least up to this point in the season, Grandal has not been worth the bucks he was given. And I've also already stated that McCann needs to be the starting catcher every time Giolito takes the mound.

But we need to be fair and see how it plays out in the long run. How do we know if he hasn't been a positive influence on the staff overall. Let's face it, our pitching staff as a whole has been performing significantly better than it has the past number of years. How do we know if he's not contributing to this? We need to keep in mind that Grandal is only two months into a 4 year contract. It's crazy to have a daily "is he worth it" discussion as to the merits of his term with the Sox when there is such a long way to go.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've previously stated that at least up to this point in the season, Grandal has not been worth the bucks he was given. And I've also already stated that McCann needs to be the starting catcher every time Giolito takes the mound.

But we need to be fair and see how it plays out in the long run. How do we know if he hasn't been a positive influence on the staff overall. Let's face it, our pitching staff as a whole has been performing significantly better than it has the past number of years. How do we know if he's not contributing to this? We need to keep in mind that Grandal is only two months into a 4 year contract. It's crazy to have a daily "is he worth it" discussion as to the merits of his term with the Sox when there is such a long way to go.

One month. Not two. Season opened a month ago today for us.

With this shortened season - there's 546 games on his contract. He is 31 in.

People's fascination with the small sample size is so baffling to me. His OPS is nearly back up to .800 (elite as hell for a catcher). He still gets on-base at a .350 clip (insanely elite). Even when he ain't hitting, too.

He's been elite defensively by most metrics as well. Gunned a runner from his knees tonight and walked it off. What do people want? His numbers over his career and this season soar past McCann's career triple slash and season averages.

He's an elite catcher. Is extremely smart and works great with any staff. That's his rep and I don't think it's a coincidence our staff has turned it on suddenly.

Fans who bashed him early on are going to have to eat some crow. He's been extremely good during this run.

P.S. - Bad gaffe by Grandal, to be sure. But Abreu also can't blindly throw home when the runner isn't even running. Not much of a reason for Grandal to expect a throw.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well yeah. that's kinda what i'm saying. i have my suspicions what the eventual outcome will be but it's kinda silly going game by game and lauding him or crucifying him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All comes down to winning at the end of the day. If he is part of a team that wins some pennants, the dollar size of the contract will hopefully be an afterthought.

He threw out a runner from his knees and walked it off tonight. I'll take it.

I don't know why everyone on this board acts like 4/73 is a mega deal. lol. We have young talent on this team that's going to be worth a helluva lot more than that.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why everyone on this board acts like 4/73 is a mega deal. lol. We have young talent on this team that's going to be worth a helluva lot more than that.
Not signing Machado looks fine at this point considering what they offered him.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not signing Machado looks fine at this point considering what they offered him.

Yeah, it opens up a ton of possibilities for us. I wanted Machado or Harper, I'll be honest. But it worked out, I think.

Both of those guys have actually been killing it lately. Having Harper in RF (or Machado at SS and TA in RF) would make this a dream lineup. But on the other hand... We probably don't have the money to. A) Land Grandal. B) Land Kuechel. C) Make a run at a big name FA pitcher this off-season and/or a player like Lindor after 2021.

I mean, we also could have just not traded Tatis Jr. for James Shields. But... I don't feel like banging my head against a wall tonight. So, we'll skip that topic. lol

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it opens up a ton of possibilities for us. I wanted Machado or Harper, I'll be honest. But it worked out, I think.

Both of those guys have actually been killing it lately. Having Harper in RF (or Machado at SS and TA in RF) would make this a dream lineup. But on the other hand... We probably don't have the money to. A) Land Grandal. B) Land Kuechel. C) Make a run at a big name FA pitcher this off-season and/or a player like Lindor after 2021.

I mean, we also could have just not traded Tatis Jr. for James Shields. But... I don't feel like banging my head against a wall tonight. So, we'll skip that topic. lol
I definitely wanted one or both of Harper/Machado. That stung for a while. Always liked how Harper plays. Glad they’re living up to their contracts so far, albeit on other teams.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely wanted one or both of Harper/Machado. That stung for a while. Always liked how Harper plays. Glad they’re living up to their contracts so far, albeit on other teams.

Yeah, I am a Harper guy too. Plays the game hard and with passion. He's polarizing but I'm on his side. Machado is a prick, but really good.

Both caved a bit to the big pressure last year, but are making up for it in year #2. Happens a lot with big contracts/expectations.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to say it for @Jiddy

"Dongless" has 4 dongs in his last 7 games :)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any time the Sox can win a game Lopez starts is a giant plus. A new hero every night - that's what championship teams do. Go Sox!

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intangibles hit a walk off dong?!?

Man...WTF...I just couldn't stay up and hit the sack at 5-4 in the 8th as I was nodding off on the couch. SONOFA.....Of course that happens and I miss it.

richi's dong must be huge right now. HUGE. LOL