• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something I keep forgetting about...

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has been discussed around here a lot, as well as on numerous articles relating to the Broncos and their improvements this off season, but something that hasn't fully set in with me is the staggering number of injuries the Broncos dealt with last season. As tough as the schedule LOOKS right now, there is not a team on the docket that the Broncos can't beat.

Last year's Super Bowl run ended in a disappointing "no-show" from our team. Rather than make injuries an excuse I'd rather point to the injuries and the Super Bowl appearance as a testament to just how good this team was last year. And as unspeakably hard to believe as it is, I believe they will be better on offense this year. Getting Clady, the best at his position in the league, back is a major factor. Replacing Decker with Sanders gives them a legitimate deep/speed threat and makes the passing game more dynamic because Decker played the same basic style as Thomas. Speaking of Thomas, the other Thomas (#80) seems hungrier than ever after breakout season. I look for him to build on 2013. And let's not forget Welker, as well as Andre Caldwell, a guy who would be more of a household name if he weren't buried under so much depth here. As for the ground game, I don't expect it to be worse than last year and may be even better. That's hard to say because the RB core is a little untested at this point. With that said, the Broncos O-line looks to be better this year with Clady's return and that will make things a lot better for the ground game, too.

But what really has me excited about this year is the defense. It is absurd the amount of bad fortune the Broncos had on that side of the ball last year. Between discipline problems and injuries the fact that this unit was able to scrape together their best games at the end of the season and in the playoffs is amazing. They got by last year, but they look to dominate this year. In fact, Pot Roast has made it clear he wants just that out of the defense this year. Aside from players like Von Miller and Harris returning from injuries, the Broncos made upgrades to the secondary and brought in some vicious pass rush talent. As it looks right now, this defense has the potential to be one of the nastiest in recent memory.

I am not certain the Broncos will repeat their 606 point performance of last season, but I think the offense is going to be really good. It's the defense that has me really excited moving forward. Unless they have another obscene slew of injuries, I don't see another 399 points surrendered. I don't even see 299.

My prediction for the Broncos is 12-4. I do think a combination of a soft schedule and steady improvements will allow the Colts to finish 13-3 and the Patriots (similar to the Broncos in that they are getting some players back from injury as well as a few solid signings) could be as good as 14-2. However the better record does not necessarily mean better team. I think the Broncos are still the best in the AFC, with the Patriots a close second.

I am really looking forward to seeing what this improved team can do against a tough looking schedule.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that we have at least as strong a roster as we've ever had; probably the best. Having the luck to avoid significant injury is my main concern; sufficient depth at RB is second.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on the injuries front. That can really make the difference between being a legitimate contender again and another "also ran." Hopefully we've paid our fair share to the injury gods last season and they will leave us be this season.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe if Denver can avoid any serious injuries on D, this could and should be the best Denver has ever assembled. There`s a lot of folks here that believe the "Orange Crush" D was something to behold and a dominant D in that time period. I was there and I beg to differ. Yes they were very good, on first and second down. They were awesome. But, I would almost quarantee, they had to rank as one of the worst on 3rd and long. It was simply mind boggling how many 1st downs they gave up during those yrs. They were not very good between the 20yd lines but they did stiffen up very well for the most part with their backs to the goal line. I am talking reg season mostly as we all know how exposed the D was in SB appearances. Pitiful to say the least. I think they were very over-rated. Matter of fact I think the D in 2012 was better and more rounded. Now though, I think they finally have a legitimate shot at being a dominant force and I too am really looking forward to see how things unfold this yr for this D. I will take a 10-0 win any day over a 38-30 win because I do believe that Defense wins you Super Bowls and its more gratifying to watch when they dominate and kick butt instead of multiple seisures in those high scoring 4th qtr nail-biters were all used too. Also, as far as running game, I think Ball and O-line will be very good but am somewhat worried about the untested stable behind him. I do hope were in for some nice surprises from those guys. Go Broncos and Go "Ware and Tear" 2014 D!!! ( that`s the nickname I think Ware and Miller should call themselves also instead of that karate crap :) ) IMHO of course Gents

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe if Denver can avoid any serious injuries on D, this could and should be the best Denver has ever assembled. There`s a lot of folks here that believe the "Orange Crush" D was something to behold and a dominant D in that time period. I was there and I beg to differ. Yes they were very good, on first and second down. They were awesome. But, I would almost quarantee, they had to rank as one of the worst on 3rd and long. It was simply mind boggling how many 1st downs they gave up during those yrs. They were not very good between the 20yd lines but they did stiffen up very well for the most part with their backs to the goal line. I am talking reg season mostly as we all know how exposed the D was in SB appearances. Pitiful to say the least. I think they were very over-rated. Matter of fact I think the D in 2012 was better and more rounded. Now though, I think they finally have a legitimate shot at being a dominant force and I too am really looking forward to see how things unfold this yr for this D. I will take a 10-0 win any day over a 38-30 win because I do believe that Defense wins you Super Bowls and its more gratifying to watch when they dominate and kick butt instead of multiple seisures in those high scoring 4th qtr nail-biters were all used too. Also, as far as running game, I think Ball and O-line will be very good but am somewhat worried about the untested stable behind him. I do hope were in for some nice surprises from those guys. Go Broncos and Go "Ware and Tear" 2014 D!!! ( that`s the nickname I think Ware and Miller should call themselves also instead of that karate crap :) ) IMHO of course Gents

Interesting post. My memory isn't good enough to recall that the noted Orange Crush defenses were particularly bad on third downs, but I absolutely agree that this year's squad has the talent to separate itself favorably from any squad that we've ever fielded. All starts up front. Just have to get lucky enough to avoid key injuries, in my opinion. I know we got the horses!

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting post. My memory isn't good enough to recall that the noted Orange Crush defenses were particularly bad on third downs, but I absolutely agree that this year's squad has the talent to separate itself favorably from any squad that we've ever fielded. All starts up front. Just have to get lucky enough to avoid key injuries, in my opinion. I know we got the horses!

Hey Td. If somebody like cd would be able to find that stat, which team has given up the most 3rd and longs, I would bet my life Denver is ranked in top 10 from Orange Crush days till present. It always really killed me. So frustrating. Loss to Ravens was just another notch in their futility in those situations over all these yrs. I think those days are going to be over for along time with this group. Knock on wood! :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a site and stats on "Opponents 3rd down efficiency". In 2012 Denver ranked the best at #1. In Denvers "Orange Crush " days and SB apperances, They ranked either #1 or near the top in "rushing" defense but always hovered around 27th or worse in pass defense. A bunch of first downs given up on 3rd and long was almost a given for them then. Like I said earlier, they were awesome on 1 and 2nd down though :) They also did very well in the TO department back then which helped them advance in the PO`s ( just ask Clev.) big time. Back to being # 1 this yr boys!!

Last edited by a moderator:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall the 2008 Broncos being pretty bad on 3rd and any distance, too.

Last year's defense has been the subject of much debate, both during the season and in the months following. Statistically it was not an impressive unit at all. But there were no shortage of bright spots, too. It was the defense that stepped up and made its best performances in the playoff games against the Chargers and Patriots. It was a defensive play that sealed the game in that shootout with the Cowboys.

I think it's important to remember a few things about last year's defense. First, the Broncos never fielded the defense they designed following the 2012 season. Between suspensions and injuries, the Broncos did not play a single game with a defensive unit that was 100%. And we're talking major components missing, not some obscure DT who was starting as a stop gap.

Also, even if the Broncos did have a full stack on defense, they likely would have given up some big plays and a lot of passing yards anyway. When teams get behind they sling it more. Odd are, in these circumstances the opponent will get his in sooner or later.

If the Broncos stay healthy through training camp and pre-season they are going to open the season with one of the more dominant defenses in the AFC, if not the league as a whole. And their offense is still likely the best in the league, even if they do not repeat the record setting performance of last year.

Last year's defense had its moments, but for the most part it will probably be unfairly remembered as the reason why the 2013 Broncos came up short. I have a good feeling about this year's defense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense last year definitely got a bad rap but in all honesty with all of the injuries that they sustained I could not have been more proud of especially how they played in the playoffs. Heck even in the Super Bowl we were very fortunate to still be in the game at half time and it was all because the defense actually made some decent stops. After half time you could tell they had nothing left from being on the field and well our depth being completely depleted by injuries.

I think this year is probably the most excited I have been for a season since the 1998 season where we were coming off a Super Bowl and returning almost the exact same roster. Offensively I think I like this unit better than last year's to be honest. Clady being back obviously is huge but even more than that for the OL I am excited to see Franklin inside as this now gives us some big boys in the middle to get those tough yards. Saw a stat the other day that the Broncos failed to score a touchdown on 3 different trips at the goal line from the 1 yard line because we tried to pass it in knowing we couldn't run it up the middle like we wanted. Beadles wasn't bad but he wasn't going to push the pile like Franklin can. I do worry about us being able to run over the right side now as whoever starts won't be as good as Franklin in that area but I would rather be able to run up the middle anyway as really that is where Ball shines.

I also am one that is very excited about the potential of Ball. I will be one that will overdraft him come Fantasy Football time as I just look at the RB's that have played with Manning and they all have career years (that is what makes me laugh when people talk about how Peyton just wants to throw all the time yet Edgerrin James was the 2nd best back of the 2000's in Fantasy Football only behind LT). Ball from what I understand has put on quite a bit of muscle in the off season and has caused both the media and teammates to really take notice (hoping it doesn't slow him down).

WR wise Decker at times just annoyed the crap out of me. He either had a ridiculously good game (like his 4 touchdown game against the Chiefs) or maybe 1 catch for 8 yards type of game. Now I understand Manning likes to look for the mismatches so sometime one receiver would have a good game while the other would not but there were so many time that if anybody put a hand on him he just couldn't move. For as big of a guy as he was he shouldn't have been manhandled as much as he was. In comes Sanders who has shown he does well against press coverage beating them off the line and offers that deep threat that will keep safeties honest. They can no longer cheat to one side knowing Thomas was our only deep threat to worry about. Also listening to reports Julius Thomas has talked about how much more prepared he is for this season and they are expanding his role in the offense so very excited to see how they take advantage of his athleticism and mismatches against both safeties and linebackers.

Defensively if everybody stays healthy we definitely should have one of the best units in the NFL. We will now have 4 guys that have been All-Pros in the last couple of years. We will also have another group that fall into the Pro Bowl category. Combine those together and a lot of these guys should have career years. Ware and Miller have never had a pass rusher quite like the other to help out with combined with a pretty darn good DT rotation. The secondary should benefit from an outstanding pass rush while the pass rush should benefit from us having probably our best safety tandem since our Super Bowl days and a nice set of Corners to boot.

The area not talked about much but it should be though will be the Special Teams unit. Above anything else we have gotten deeper as a team which usually means better play from Special Teams. Players that were starting for us last year will be on the Special Teams units this year. Honestly very interested to see what happens when cuts start coming into play. WE are going to have to let go of some pretty quality players. I would bet 5 or so players (or even more) that we cut will make a roster on another team.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Decker, one thing he did a lot that drove me absolutely crazy was he would often quite on the play and play for the PI call. There were times he appeared to be in position to make the catch, had a defender all over him, PI involved, and Decker would throw his hands in their and try to draw the flag. Of course, sometimes he didn't get the flag, and the result was an incomplete pass.

I didn't want to see him go, but the Broncos have replaced him with an equal talent that makes the offense a little more dynamic. Now that he's gone, I still wish him well (except when playing the Broncos) but I honestly don't think the Broncos will miss him, production-wise.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found a site and stats on "Opponents 3rd down efficiency". In 2012 Denver ranked the best at #1. In Denvers "Orange Crush " days and SB apperances, They ranked either #1 or near the top in "rushing" defense but always hovered around 27th or worse in pass defense. A bunch of first downs given up on 3rd and long was almost a given for them then. Like I said earlier, they were awesome on 1 and 2nd down though :) They also did very well in the TO department back then which helped them advance in the PO`s ( just ask Clev.) big time. Back to being # 1 this yr boys!!

I really consider Denver's 1976-1979 (or so) defense to be the actual "Orange Crush" defense. There was only one SB appearance for that group, in 1978. The late 80's defense was more "Bend-but-don't-break", which is why you saw them stiffen up inside the 20. I don't really consider that group to be part of the Orange Crush group. Late 70's Denver ranked around the top 5 in defense every season.

In the Orange Crush days, Denver was really stout against the run. Not so much against the pass though. In comparison, our SB teams of the late 80's weren't that great against the run. They were up and down at best in that respect.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Decker, one thing he did a lot that drove me absolutely crazy was he would often quite on the play and play for the PI call. There were times he appeared to be in position to make the catch, had a defender all over him, PI involved, and Decker would throw his hands in their and try to draw the flag. Of course, sometimes he didn't get the flag, and the result was an incomplete pass.

I didn't want to see him go, but the Broncos have replaced him with an equal talent that makes the offense a little more dynamic. Now that he's gone, I still wish him well (except when playing the Broncos) but I honestly don't think the Broncos will miss him, production-wise.

I loved having Decker as a Bronco as he was a great locker room guy, worked hard, and made some big plays for us. Like you said though there were some things that just drove you nuts. Last year in the Indy game I think there were about 5 plays where he was looking for the PI call before the ball even hit the ground. A couple of them looked actually catchable if he hadn't stopped on the route. Obviously the refs were not calling it in the game so a player just has to learn to adjust and power through it. He couldn't. I wish him well in New York and don't blame him one bit for taking the big money as it should move his career forward as well as give a better opportunity for his wife.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved having Decker as a Bronco as he was a great locker room guy, worked hard, and made some big plays for us. Like you said though there were some things that just drove you nuts. Last year in the Indy game I think there were about 5 plays where he was looking for the PI call before the ball even hit the ground. A couple of them looked actually catchable if he hadn't stopped on the route. Obviously the refs were not calling it in the game so a player just has to learn to adjust and power through it. He couldn't. I wish him well in New York and don't blame him one bit for taking the big money as it should move his career forward as well as give a better opportunity for his wife.

As annoying as that was, I think what took the cake was his ability to trip over his shoes once he gained the open field.:L