• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So now the details come out

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry want Shazier in the 1st
Shazier camp on phone with Dallas as Steelers picked - NFL.com

in the post draft interview.... Jerry says they discussed the ways to get to the Qb ... Options being will and the 3tech

3 tech and the 1 tech ....

and OFC 3 tech and RDE

Jerry hit panic mode ..... on the Lawrence pick :laugh3: Only in Dallas

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones has acknowledged that new Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was the No. 1 player on the Dallas Cowboys' draft board at No. 16 overall.

The story behind the story is that Manziel was only atop the Cowboys' board because Pittsburgh had snatched linebacker Ryan Shazier out from under them just minutes earlier.

Steelers sources tell the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the Cowboys were on the phone with Shazier's agent and were ready to select him over offensive lineman Zack Martin with the 16th pick.

"I'm in the middle of writing a text that Dallas is going to take him and the phone rings and it's the Steelers," Vernon Shazier, Ryan's father, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Good thing I didn't send out that text ... I think he ended up in the right place."

Jones confirmed after the first round that the Cowboys were targeting Shazier, Martin, Anthony Barr (No. 9, Vikings) and Aaron Donald (No. 13, Rams) entering the draft.

The Steelers, on the other hand, had planned to select cornerback Justin Gilbert (No. 8, Browns) or LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham (No. 12, Giants). Once those players were gone, general manager Kevin Colbert said it was "an easy evaluation" to switch gears and grab the best player on their board.

"The young man has no holes," coach Mike Tomlin said of Shazier. "... He's a defensive playmaker. Bigger than positional needs, what we needed was a defensive playmaker."

Tomlin and Colbert are thrilled to land their third option, a dynamic linebacker poised to help transform Dick LeBeau's defense from old and slow to younger and more athletic.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry want Shazier in the 1st
Shazier camp on phone with Dallas as Steelers picked - NFL.com

in the post draft interview.... Jerry says they discussed the ways to get to the Qb ... Options being will and the 3tech

3 tech and the 1 tech ....

and OFC 3 tech and RDE

Jerry hit panic mode ..... on the Lawrence pick :laugh3: Only in Dallas

I read that too, and I am going to say this....If the Cowboys had Manziel #1 overall on their big board, they should have fucking taken him. And before Eastbay calls me out for wanting Manziel, that's not what I said.
What the Hell is the point in having a big board if you aren't going to use it? I wouldn't have taken Manziel at 16 because he wasn't the 16th best player IMO. But the Cowboys had Manziel rated ahead of Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Mack and Donald. So what, if Watkins had fallen to 16, we wouldn't have taken him there either?
Maybe if the draw up a REAL!!!! big board, and throw away the toilet paper scribble they were using, Manziel wouldn't be number 1 and Hitchens wouldn't be a mid 4th:L

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that too, and I am going to say this....If the Cowboys had Manziel #1 overall on their big board, they should have fucking taken him. And before Eastbay calls me out for wanting Manziel, that's not what I said.
What the Hell is the point in having a big board if you aren't going to use it? I wouldn't have taken Manziel at 16 because he wasn't the 16th best player IMO. But the Cowboys had Manziel rated ahead of Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Mack and Donald. So what, if Watkins had fallen to 16, we wouldn't have taken him there either?
Maybe if the draw up a REAL!!!! big board, and throw away the toilet paper scribble they were using, Manziel wouldn't be number 1 and Hitchens wouldn't be a mid 4th:L

Oh I read it as Manzeil was number 1 of the people left .

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I read it as Manzeil was number 1 of the people left .

You could be right, lets say that's the case...why didn't they take him? Thats why we supposedly got Escobar last season in the 2nd round, he was the ''BPA''. If we were going to pass on the BPA for a position of NEED, then why didn't we go Defense at 16? Hell, why not take Lawrence at 16?? The Cowboys said, and I quote, ''we had a 1st round grade on Lawrence, the best pass rush RDE behind Clowney and Barr''. Is RDE not a bigger need than guard?

I like the Martin pick. What I am pissed off about is the fact that Jerry had months to prepare for the freaking draft, and when the guys they wanted went off the board, they panicked.

If they were not going to take Maziel if he fell to them at 16, THEN HIS NAME SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANYWHERE IN THEIR TOP 16 OVERALL. Why the Hell would you put a name on your list that you would not take under any circumstance? And why do you draft Hitchens in the 4th freaking round? I'm sorry, Jerry did a bullshit job

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Shazier at that point,but thought Martin was a very good pick. Manziel would have been interesting. Now if Romo can't take a hit anymore we will be in the Mariota sweepstakes anyway