• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So if we clinch before Monday

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And LAA stays hot and is within 2-3 games of the WC spot, do we rest our big guys which would help maybe knock off an ALEast team from the WC spot?

I realize there is a lot more at risk, such as getting a better record than DET?

Or do you keep the pedal to the metal and hope to play a TB or BOS team that are both hurting right now?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, our players are heating up and you don't sit them. maybe you let them hit 3 times and then rotate them out

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And LAA stays hot and is within 2-3 games of the WC spot, do we rest our big guys which would help maybe knock off an ALEast team from the WC spot?

I realize there is a lot more at risk, such as getting a better record than DET?

Or do you keep the pedal to the metal and hope to play a TB or BOS team that are both hurting right now?

Alternate the days off for key people... but keep the foot on the throat...

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alternate the days off for key people... but keep the foot on the throat...

we need to close it out before we do any resting so we are talking about maybe 3 or 4 games. if we clinch the West on Saturday, i would give the big boys a half-game rest on Sunday by rotating the big boys out to standing ovations and then back to business on Monday thru Wednesday.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think that there is going to be something to play for. I think they need to finish up with a better record than Detroit. Now if it really comes down to nothing to play for I think you sit some key guys. Fine line between risking injury for no good cause and keeping guys sharp. Definitely need to be healthy and sharp heading into that 1st series.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Wash will rest players when the division is sewed up. No matter how you slice it there is no easy path to the WS and I believe Wash is aware of this. Even if LAA gets in as a WC facing Haren, Weaver and Sanatana is not going to be a day at the beach. TBR has pitching I'd rather not see again this year and the Yankees have the best record in the AL for a reason. Playing Detroit is going to be tough no matter where we play them. That leaves Boston as the 98 lb weakling?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now we face the Yankees, even if we finish ahead of Detroit we face Boston or TB. if LA wins the WC we play Detroit

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right now we face the Yankees, even if we finish ahead of Detroit we face Boston or TB. if LA wins the WC we play Detroit

So there you have it. Pick your poison and give the guys some rest. It seemed to work well last year.

Stinky Britches

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

where ya been fords?

dont see you on the game threads as much lately

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That's crazy! You keep your foot on the pedal until November. Never give up momentum. Certainly don't create momentum for an opponent going into the post season. Since right now TEX is in line to face the ALE champ ... if TEX shared your thinking they might as well quit now and save the air fare to NY.

Don't want a streaking team entering as the WC so you don't do LAA any favors going into the playoffs. Easing up to rest and give LAA a better shot at the WC would mean that TEX is giving up its pursuit of #2 ... and a shot against the WC both of which TEX has a winning record ... plus in addition to giving up a shot at the #4 ... TEX would get DET whether they are #3 or #2. That would be crazy.

Dang ford ... you deserve to lose eprops in my book for even suggesting that TEX might want to lay out ostensibly to rest some guys while giving LAA the job of takinig on the ALE champ. If you are so worried about the ALE champ ... the best way to avoid them in the first round is to take the #2 seed by winning it.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do whatever is necessary to avoid the Detroit Tigers in the 1st round. There is some strange mojo with that team right now and they already own the Rangers. Maybe someone with better luck against them takes them out before Texas sees them.

I know Wash will rest his team once they clinch, but by giving the Angels a few easy wins, LA likely gets in and Texas gets the 3 seed, which means Tex at Det 1st round with LA going to NY. That could actually lead to a Det-LA ALCS and that would stink.

Better to just hope the the Sox pull their heads out and finish strong.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do whatever is necessary to avoid the Detroit Tigers in the 1st round. There is some strange mojo with that team right now and they already own the Rangers. Maybe someone with better luck against them takes them out before Texas sees them.

I know Wash will rest his team once they clinch, but by giving the Angels a few easy wins, LA likely gets in and Texas gets the 3 seed, which means Tex at Det 1st round with LA going to NY. That could actually lead to a Det-LA ALCS and that would stink.

Why are you always convinced the Rangers are going to lose? Rangers can beat anybody. They really can't worry about how the playoffs shake out because as they say the cream will rise to the top. In baseball, there is a saying. There are NO frauds. If Detroit is the best team right now, and I seriously doubt that assessment, then the Rangers will have to play them if they want to be the best. :brick:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you serious? How do you go about avoiding a team in the playoffs? Doesn't make sense. Even wishing and hoping you can avoid somebody can have dire consequences if you happen to draw them as an opponent.The Rangers didn't get in through the back door last year and they aren't going through the back door this year. Anybody who makes the playoffs is going to be a worthy opponent as are the Rangers.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Angels win the wild card then it is highly possible that we'd have an Angels/Rangers championship series rather than the inevitable Detroit/Angels series that Jaar is proposing.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where ya been fords?

dont see you on the game threads as much lately

Yeah, time has been really tight lately and the late late games aren't helping. The kiddo is going to sleep a lot earlier and easier (just jinxed that I bet), so the wife and I have time to actually watch TV or catch up on movies. Used to be she went straight to bed, so I was able to watch the game and get on the threads.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's crazy! You keep your foot on the pedal until November. Never give up momentum. Certainly don't create momentum for an opponent going into the post season. Since right now TEX is in line to face the ALE champ ... if TEX shared your thinking they might as well quit now and save the air fare to NY.

Don't want a streaking team entering as the WC so you don't do LAA any favors going into the playoffs. Easing up to rest and give LAA a better shot at the WC would mean that TEX is giving up its pursuit of #2 ... and a shot against the WC both of which TEX has a winning record ... plus in addition to giving up a shot at the #4 ... TEX would get DET whether they are #3 or #2. That would be crazy.

Dang ford ... you deserve to lose eprops in my book for even suggesting that TEX might want to lay out ostensibly to rest some guys while giving LAA the job of takinig on the ALE champ. If you are so worried about the ALE champ ... the best way to avoid them in the first round is to take the #2 seed by winning it.

Where did you get scared from in that post of mine? It was more a "screw BOS and TPA and the whole ALEast is the best so the WC will definitely come out of there" thinking that the entire baseball media has. NYY doesn't scare me. The only team that does is DET in DET.

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Ginger I can't explain why the Tigers have had our number recently. But facing Verlander 2 times in a short series doesn't excite me. If we are going to see Detroit I'd rather it be in the ALCS and I'd rather us have homefield. Then our chances improve greatly. But being the visiting team in a 5 game series with 2 Verlander starts and a closer who hasn't blown a save all year...yep, I'd like to avoid that.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Ginger I can't explain why the Tigers have had our number recently. But facing Verlander 2 times in a short series doesn't excite me. If we are going to see Detroit I'd rather it be in the ALCS and I'd rather us have homefield. Then our chances improve greatly. But being the visiting team in a 5 game series with 2 Verlander starts and a closer who hasn't blown a save all year...yep, I'd like to avoid that.

Most agree with that statement...

AGZBASEBALL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why are you always convinced the Rangers are going to lose? Rangers can beat anybody. They really can't worry about how the playoffs shake out because as they say the cream will rise to the top. In baseball, there is a saying. There are NO frauds. If Detroit is the best team right now, and I seriously doubt that assessment, then the Rangers will have to play them if they want to be the best. :brick:

Everybody forgets that the Rangers are the Defending AL Champs. Besides to the Best, you have to Beat the best. The Rangers play to their capabilities, they can go All The Way. This is Better to Team right now than the AL Pennant Winners of Last Year.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are you convinced that the Tigers will have home field over the Rangers? Last time I checked both teams have exactly the same record. Yea, Verlander is something special but the Rangers seem to hit better against the TORP than they do the crappy ones.