• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So... buy now?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been fun following your guys hot streak here since the break.

Two questions...

First, I know reports have surfaced that you all are hanging onto Bum. My question is, do you expect the front office to actually buy on an available player or two? I would not suspect that you all make a big splash. You don't want to compromise too much of your future over a hot streak. But... maybe a mid or back end of the rotation starter? Decent bullpen arm? Maybe a bat? It seems like you all could use offense more than pitching.

Your farm system has been climbing the ladder lately on sites like Baseball America. Up to #15 on that list now. What (or what tier of prospect) do you think you'd be willing to sacrifice in order to steady the roster a bit for a run at a wild card?

Do you think maybe they should just stand pat? Don't sell and give up on the season... but also don't compromise any part of the future either?

Second, is there a section of your fan-base that is a bit disappointed at this run which has caused your front office to hang onto Bum and other potential trade pieces? If so, I have to admit that I see their point. I am not saying that I agree with it... but it warrants consideration. Your farm system has been steadily getting better and this was a chance to really push it over the hump towards that top 10 caliber range. I'm not sure that the talent is there offensively to make a deep playoff run if you all do force your way into an NLDS scenario. Is a nice 25-30 game stretch to eek above .500 really worth missing out on a potential prospect (or prospect package) that could pay dividends over the next decade?

I come at this from the angle of a White Sox fan and my team has been selling their veteran pieces like hot cakes for 3 years now. To most fans, this is the final year of our "strip it down and build" phase before we'd like to have a team together that can at least "hang tough" and compete a bit next year.

When they fraudulently hung around in the wild card conversation throughout the first half, there was a lot of anxiety from sections of the fan-base about the front office potentially being fooled into thinking that they shouldn't still be sellers. Now, that issue has worked itself out in the form of a 3-13 start to the 2nd half. I'm sure that we're listening to offers on Colome, Leury Garcia, etc. (not sure about Abreu)

My point is, that I would understand if you all had mixed feelings on everything going on. I'm just curious what you guys think about the 2019 deadline, post-season potential, etc. Like I said, I've enjoyed watching and even pulling for you guys lately. This hot streak was totally out of left field to me and that's fun :)

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, I think we just check the turn and the river.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a tad-bit “upset” over this run because I don’t trust it. I enjoy it, of course, but I fear that it will have a more negative effect in the long run because we won’t be selling the bully or Bum (all of which could have brought back multiple sizable pieces). As it is, this fools gold will cause the FO to (appropriately) hold fast and make a half-hearted push for the playoffs.

This is not 2010. In 2010, we had a strong system and were expected to seriously compete by 2011. We knew we were at least close to getting into a buying mode. Everything just got started slightly early.

This team is at the opposite end of the spectrum. We have a stronger-than-advertised system (as we always do), but the meat is all in the lower minors. We are AT LEAST 2 years away from legit contention.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@msgkings322

Where you plugged in to the White Sox fan base at the time of the White Flag trade? If the Giants did something similar, how would the Giants fan base react?
@calsnowskier , maybe you could ask our friend here this question. At least, the first half of it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a tad-bit “upset” over this run because I don’t trust it. I enjoy it, of course, but I fear that it will have a more negative effect in the long run because we won’t be selling the bully or Bum (all of which could have brought back multiple sizable pieces). As it is, this fools gold will cause the FO to (appropriately) hold fast and make a half-hearted push for the playoffs.

This is not 2010. In 2010, we had a strong system and were expected to seriously compete by 2011. We knew we were at least close to getting into a buying mode. Everything just got started slightly early.

This team is at the opposite end of the spectrum. We have a stronger-than-advertised system (as we always do), but the meat is all in the lower minors. We are AT LEAST 2 years away from legit contention.

i certainly do not want to see more vets on the downside of their career being picked up, no matter how well they played in '18 or are playing in '19. I'm resigned to next year's line-up looking close to this one with the odd call-up here and there.

The only pick-ups I want to see are prospects that will help us out in '22 and beyond. Far too much rebuilding to expect anything in '20 or '21. I'm completely fine with trading any starter for equivalent prospects. Don't forget we'll be going through new managerial staff jitters for at least a season (only one if we are lucky)

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably hold onto Bum unless they get completely blown away. If the best they're gonna get is a Cole Hamels package for Bum, just keep him.

However, I'd trade the relievers in a heartbeat. They have a lot of depth there

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably hold onto Bum unless they get completely blown away. If the best they're gonna get is a Cole Hamels package for Bum, just keep him.

However, I'd trade the relievers in a heartbeat. They have a lot of depth there

I think they can trade one reliever for sure with no visible effects. Trading 2+ is basically calling it quits, might as well sell Bum too (but I agree has to be a great offer)

Basically the team's play lately lets FZ be a lot more picky than if they were 8 back.

But I still don't see a playoff team, not with so many other teams in the mix.

Of course, been wrong many times and would be ecstatic to be wrong again. It's nice to have a fun team to root for.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they can trade one reliever for sure with no visible effects. Trading 2+ is basically calling it quits, might as well sell Bum too (but I agree has to be a great offer)

Basically the team's play lately lets FZ be a lot more picky than if they were 8 back.

But I still don't see a playoff team, not with so many other teams in the mix.

Of course, been wrong many times and would be ecstatic to be wrong again. It's nice to have a fun team to root for.

Damn it.... I agree with all of this