• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Slay undergoes surgery

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had it Friday to repair his torn meniscus. Not a huge deal as far as recovery time - arthroscopic surgery; he'll miss the first mini-camp, but nothing else. Still though, cartilage is removed, rendering the knee less stable than before (however slight), and more vulnerable to strain. Hopefully it won't cause him problems in the future.

Darius Slay of Detroit Lions undergoes knee surgery -- source - ESPN

*At least we've maintained our recent 2nd-round-knee-injury trend. (sorry, couldn't resist. I like Slay, even if he was a slight reach, and I like Broyles even more).

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was scoped from what I heard and it was for a partially torn meniscus.

Not a big deal but one that will sideline him until camp.

My biggest concern isn't about the knee as much as the Lions knowledge or lack of. For Mayhew to get up and sau it's a non issue and he will be ready for Rookie camp and then a week later find out it needed surgery makes me wonder if the Lions actually knew the depth of the injury.

I would have felt better in Mayhew would have said he needs his knee scoped to clean up some damage but we were ok with it. At least I would know the Lions knew about it. I just remember the Gibson knee issue and I thought what the hell is that scouting department doing.

Last year everyone knew what they were getting with Broyles like it or no you knew....with Slay not so much.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A scope is basically a non-issue. And he will be ready before well before mini-camp. So that matches up to Mayhew's original comment imo.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god he's getting it scoped. Better safe than sorry with that bit of torn meniscus floating around in there.

Knee scopes are no big deal, no ligaments are damaged and/or directly affected. It's basically just a clean-up of loose tissue floating around in the joint causing inflammation and such...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad that he decided to have the surgery. that's a much safer route. the meniscus functions as a shock absorber if you will inside the knee. if its condition degraded during the course of the NFL season you could see him battle knee problems just like Delmas that would keep him out of action. this was the best thing for him and he should have no issues being ready for the season or training camp

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
non-issue IMO. at least he is getting it cleaned up now and hopefully it won't cause him any problems going forward.

i can understand some fans concerns though, as the Lions don't have a good track record when it comes to drafting players with injury concerns (Best and Broyles). The scope is a minor procedure though.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be fine. Maybe he'll even grow, that'd be kinda sweet.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a torn Miniscus, frayed ACL, And what's called Plika(sp?). They scoped the knee and it has never felt better. A miniscul tear causes pain because the torn piece Or flap has abnormal range of motion. The movement Is what causes the pain. If they just snip it off, the max recovery time is 6 Weeks. If they try to stitch it up the recovery time is substantially longer. A re-tear is far more likely also if it is stiched vs. just having It snipped. I'm not worried whatsoever, would like to hear which they went with.

K.J.Ester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know what Mayhew said after the draft. I have known from the start about the injury and I thought he would end up getting it repaired. So as far as I am concerned, no big deal. Even with the little time he will miss, he will still be the 2nd best CB going into the season. lol Which I am not sure if that is saying how good he is or how bad the Lions secondary was. lol

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little birdie tells me Slay has been going thru drills with ehrrybody else. Chirp Chirp.