• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sizemore The CF

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Red Sox tab Grady Sizemore to start in center field - ESPN Boston

ORT MYERS, Fla. -- Grady Sizemore will be the Red Sox's Opening Day center fielder, a prospect that seemed almost unimaginable when camp opened six weeks ago.

Manager John Farrell made the announcement at camp on Friday.

The 31-year-old Sizemore, who has undergone seven surgeries since 2009 and had not played in a game at any level the past two seasons, passed all physical tests this spring and showed few ill effects from his long layoff, batting .333 with a home run.

Rookie Jackie Bradley Jr., who came into camp favored for the job, will open the season at Triple-A Pawtucket.

"He needs more at-bats," Red Sox vice president Mike Hazen said during Thursday night's radio broadcast of the game between the Red Sox and Minnesota Twins. "But he'll figure it out."

Bradley is hitting .158 with a team-high 17 strikeouts this spring.

Farrell indicated after Thursday night's game that if Sizemore made the club, he would bat fifth or sixth in the order at the start of the season, but that could change quickly if Sizemore continues to show he can handle the workload.

"He looks very good physically," Farrell said after Sizemore went 2-for-3 with a double. "Left-handed and right-handed pitching, he had a good swing. He's in a good place."

Sizemore said he had no problem with where he hit in the lineup.

"I'm happy to be in the lineup, no matter where I'm at," he said. "I'm not going to change my approach, whether it's leadoff or fifth or wherever."

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm happy for Sizemore but I get the feeling Bradley will be playing CF before season's end.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sizemore hits the long ball and Jackie Bradley comes up with two out and two on in the ninth and watches the third strike. Bradley is NOT MLB material...he's a minor league lifer. He cannot hit a major league curve or fastball.

Sox lose 2-1 to Baltimore.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradley needs to remain up and not just kept being dropped, brought up, dropped, etc.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sizemore hits the long ball and Jackie Bradley comes up with two out and two on in the ninth and watches the third strike. Bradley is NOT MLB material...he's a minor league lifer. He cannot hit a major league curve or fastball.

Sox lose 2-1 to Baltimore.

He definitely looks overpowered at the plate but he's next on the depth chart and as much as Sizemore's return is a feel good story, I wouldn't exactly place a big bet on his health.