• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Since the Pat Gillick/RAJ era,

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it seems that every year there is one player coming off the bench or starting via injury that adds just about nothing to the team, and nobody can explain their roster spot other than a guess that they have incriminating evidence on charlie. here's my list
2006- abraham nunez
2007- abraham nunez
2008- so taguchi
2009- eric bruntlett
2010- juan castro
2011- michael martinez (runner-up- pete orr)
2012- ty wiggington (runner-up- mini mart)
2013- laynce nix (runner-up- mini-mart)

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it seems that every year there is one player coming off the bench or starting via injury that adds just about nothing to the team, and nobody can explain their roster spot other than a guess that they have incriminating evidence on charlie. here's my list
2006- abraham nunez
2007- abraham nunez
2008- so taguchi
2009- eric bruntlett
2010- juan castro
2011- michael martinez (runner-up- pete orr)
2012- ty wiggington (runner-up- mini mart)
2013- laynce nix (runner-up- mini-mart)

A lot of this post does not make any sense, at all.

Caligula

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The part that blames Charlie for playing players that the front office signs.

The part where you expect bench players to be anything more than "not good enough to start."

The part where you forget that bench players have up and down years constantly, just like bullpen arms.

The part where you forgot Helms and Dobbs were defensively worse than Nunez.

The part where you for got that Taguchi only had 91 at-bats.

The part where Eric Bruntlett played 164 inning in the field, which is just over 18 games and was used primarily as a defensive substitution.

The part where you for got that Taguchi hit for average and got on base every year up until the Phillies season.

The part where everyone thought the Wigginton trade was great, since people had wanted Wigginton for years (for some ridiculous reasons), but now you blame the manager.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part that blames Charlie for playing players that the front office signs.

The part where you expect bench players to be anything more than "not good enough to start."

The part where you forget that bench players have up and down years constantly, just like bullpen arms.

The part where you forgot Helms and Dobbs were defensively worse than Nunez.

The part where you for got that Taguchi only had 91 at-bats.

The part where Eric Bruntlett played 164 inning in the field, which is just over 18 games and was used primarily as a defensive substitution.

The part where you for got that Taguchi hit for average and got on base every year up until the Phillies season.

The part where everyone thought the Wigginton trade was great, since people had wanted Wigginton for years (for some ridiculous reasons), but now you blame the manager.

1. you think that charlie has no influence whatsoever regarding which players the phils sign? most times, the player meets with the manager and gm regarding coming to a certain team. you're acting like he has as much influence as me or you

2. bench players should be decent. they don't have to be 2008 greg dobbs or 2012 kevin frandsen, but these players don't deserve to be on the roster. abraham nunez hits .211/.303/.273 in '06, appearing in 123 games. not enough? he hits .234/.318/.282 in '07, appearing in 136 games. do i really need to talk about bruntlett or martinez? if you're trying to defend their roster spot then i don't know what to tell you

3. again, sure they don't have to be great. but when you're hitting .190-.230, it's hard to imagine someone better isn't waiting in AA or AAA

4. sure, but does that make up for the fact greg dobbs was a hell of a lot better than him? he can start when you have a contact pitcher on the mound (moyer) but does that mean he should appear in 136 games?

5. what's it matter? the guy wasn't a good player for us, so he got put on the list. there wasn't a worse bench player than him on the '08 phils

6. bruntlett wasn't even that good in the field. -4 rtot/yr at ss, -9 rtot/yr at 2b. we did have a lot of injuries, but surely there was someone who could hit a little better and play adequate defense.

7. true

8. i never wanted wigginton, and charlie liked him enough to have appear in 125 games (49 starts). he didn't hit, and he is the worst defensive player i've seen in a long time.

the only one you can truly defend is castro. j-roll was hurt, and while he didn't hit, he did hold down the fort defensively at short.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Caligula. Even the most casual of fans on this board probably realize that bench players are unpredictable and not as good as regular players. If you're complaining about acquisitions they made, the So Taguchi deal seems like a pretty ridiculous criticism, since they eventually released him and they won the World Series.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're just asking why they don't just keep using whoever is hot in the minor leagues until they get cold and then bring up someone else, its kind of a union thing. Players have a limited number of "options" so you can't keep moving them up and down from the minors on a whim, and you have the 40 man roster to deal with. Veterans get guaranteed contracts and usually make over a million a year so it is hard to just keep releasing pinch hitters and signing new ones without spending a lot of money.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Caligula. Even the most casual of fans on this board probably realize that bench players are unpredictable and not as good as regular players. If you're complaining about acquisitions they made, the So Taguchi deal seems like a pretty ridiculous criticism, since they eventually released him and they won the World Series.

yes, i realize that they are not as good as regulars. otherwise they would be regulars. all i was doing was making a list of the worst infielders/outfielders on the team since '06. and considering ty wigginton's .235 batting average was the highest, they were all pretty bad

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're just asking why they don't just keep using whoever is hot in the minor leagues until they get cold and then bring up someone else, its kind of a union thing. Players have a limited number of "options" so you can't keep moving them up and down from the minors on a whim, and you have the 40 man roster to deal with. Veterans get guaranteed contracts and usually make over a million a year so it is hard to just keep releasing pinch hitters and signing new ones without spending a lot of money.

sending down/releasing one player a year isn't that hard. i'm not saying every time a guy slumps he should be sent down, but when you're hitting .190, there is a 28 year old in AAA who can hit .250 in the big leagues and play adequate defense