• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Simple put: What is Barnes' Upside

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His confidence looks dwindling, he lacks instincts or feel, is not often in the right place at the right time and for all his physical abilities does not put it to good use. So, what is his upside and how long might it take before he can become a solid 16 6 guy?

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exhibit A

Many folks thought HB would be Deng, Granger, PP, or even Rudy Gay , possibly some mash up of all of them. I think it takes a few years for players to establish themselves in the league. Once the league has a chance to see tape and figure out your strengths, a player needs to come back to the table with something different.

HB seems to be stuck in neutral or 1st gear if you will. While Klay and now Green have seemed to elevated their games, HB seems like the wallflower for the most part.

Most 1st and 2nd year players drafted high go to "bad teams" and aren't expected to do much, so this may be apart of the growing process. Our game plans don't call spotlight HB, but he gets his looks.

I don't know what his ceiling will be, I'm guessing it would be closer to Richard Jefferson in his latter years now vs a TMac/VC/PP superstar type if he doesn't improve in the 2nd half and next year.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the R. Jefferson comparison. HB is bigger but their games do have similarities.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion Barnes will be Ok because it's only his 2nd year he's only 21

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the R. Jefferson comparison. HB is bigger but their games do have similarities.

Thing is, in the open floor, RJ had the handles/coordination that you could trust him to run breaks.

HB doesn't have that yet. Is this something you can learn on the NBA level? I'm not sure about that.

On this teams, HB is regulated to corner 3's, wing 3's, iso's vs smaller men. I don't think that's his strength. When HB tries to post, it almost always ends up with a weak floater, or heave at the rim instead of HB taking it strong. Klay does this also, but Klay has shown he can hit those awkward shots.

His strength last year, was cutting from weak to strong side, getting open runs at the hole. With Bogut and Lee clogging the lanes, and the way our offense is currently structured, I don't see HB getting these looks this year at all.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think a trade w Denver for Faried makes sense. I might email Myers w this idea.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think a trade w Denver for Faried makes sense. I might email Myers w this idea.

I haven't watched many DEN games, Faried seems to be struggling. So in terms of "value for value", this might look good on paper.

Faried will always been an undersized 4 with limited offensive skills. Once his high motor fades away, so does his value to the team.

I wouldn't be against the idea, not sure if Dubs can get much better than this deal at this point.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His athleticism and his ability to play a couple different positions.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dino's out for the year, might hasten DEN into doing a deal?

Its probably too early to give up on HB, but with D.Lee and Bogut now nursing minor injuries, big man depth couldn't hurt.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Faried is undersized and struggling a bit but he's high high energy can run the court, play above the rim, grab boards and loose balls and is also young. It all depends if Barnes has upside or his upside that limited?

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HB is quickly earning the nickname "1 for", checking the boxscore, he has more 1 for 7, 1 for 8 games, than anyone else on the roster.

He should have sunk that game winning shot vs MINN, but it wasn't in the cards. Why stand out at the 3pt line when we only need 2 points for the win?

Folks say as in you progress in any major sport, the game slows down, but the game seems to have gotten to "fast" for him at this point.

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His potential is quickly approaching zero. I can't even believe this is the same guy who was wrecking the opposition in the playoffs last year. There is only one sensible solution to this debacle: he must grow an outrageous afro.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His potential is quickly approaching zero. I can't even believe this is the same guy who was wrecking the opposition in the playoffs last year. There is only one sensible solution to this debacle: he must grow an outrageous afro.

:laugh3:

:agree:

This is outstanding and totally accurate

_so_money_

Dubmaster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell me this won't up his game.

barnes_afro.jpg

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fro looks good. Very ABA-ish. I don't think a player really ever regresses. I think they lose confidence, slump, think too much, no longer rely on instincts and eventually become passive. It's going to take some time before HB regains what he's lost and a trade would not be the worse thing, depending of course what you get in return.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His confidence looks dwindling, he lacks instincts or feel, is not often in the right place at the right time and for all his physical abilities does not put it to good use. So, what is his upside and how long might it take before he can become a solid 16 6 guy?

I disagree. At times he looks very natural out there, very fluid and athletic. He needs coaching and that seems to be one of the weakest areas for the Warriors. A lot of good raw talent and athletic ability but the Dubs coaches don't seem to know how to use their skills effectively.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fro looks good. Very ABA-ish. I don't think a player really ever regresses. I think they lose confidence, slump, think too much, no longer rely on instincts and eventually become passive. It's going to take some time before HB regains what he's lost and a trade would not be the worse thing, depending of course what you get in return.

I dunno, the fro never really worked out well for Josh Childress, who later went overseas and forgot how to play basketball.

I think HB could rock a retro curl, or maybe some cornrows, that would be interesting.

Look when you are shooting 15% during any stretch in the season, you need to try something.

I would switch up my soap, briefs, toothpaste, socks, lotion, pre game rituals, etc.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NB: I actually watched a fair bit of ABA ball back in the day. Name any ABA player and most likely I watched him. Mostly I saw the Nets. Anyway, many ABA-ers had fros not just the Doctor or Artis Gilmore. Anyway, if it was good for Dr J it certainly could help Barnes.

ps I'm pushing a Barnes Faried trade.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NB: I actually watched a fair bit of ABA ball back in the day. Name any ABA player and most likely I watched him. Mostly I saw the Nets. Anyway, many ABA-ers had fros not just the Doctor or Artis Gilmore. Anyway, if it was good for Dr J it certainly could help Barnes.

ps I'm pushing a Barnes Faried trade.

I'm probably too young to remember much of the ABA. Earl Monroe? Only know the name from, "He Got Game" and watching some clips here and there.

If I'm DEN, I still don't see why they would push for a HB trade, we would have to sweeten the deal somehow. Add in Bazemore/Nedo? That probably wouldn't do it. Faried is a bonafide , although undersized 4.

What's HB"s position? 3? Stretch 4? He doesn't have the size or ability to guard most 2's at this point, and can't handle the ball in the open floor. He doesn't exactly finish well on Iso's, and his jumper has been spotty at best.

Hate to call HB a classic tweener, but he's basically a tweener without a country at this point. What is his one definable move? Spot up corner 3? 12-14' jumper that misses? He had a nice hook over Mo'Williams last night, but he still needs lots of work.

rayhl111

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl the Pearl was strictly NBA. There's a great book re the ABA called Loose Balls. In short, the ABA was not another league but an entire different world.

When scouts and GMs take a look at Barnes it might be that they have a low opinion. I'm only assuming that they believe he has a nice upside. He has a very good stroke and a lot of lift. I think he does not know how to do things in an instinctive manner and just about everything he does do is way too deliberate. Re Faried he is undersized and that won't change. Not a lot of offense but incredible energy. Also, once Galinari returns, Faried's production and minutes go down. HB is young enough to eventually find a role and become (like I think you said) Richard Jefferson or maybe Trevor Ariza.