• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

should nieds get his jersey retired?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Guy spent majority of career here was a huge reason for the success of the team amd I will go as far to say probably the most skilled player to lace em up in nj. Can even argue was the best defenseman in our generation?

Hang the jersey!

And if I had my way him Scott dano and Marty would get statues in our lame "champions plaza" with the Stanley cup. That would be sweet!

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i think mr lidstrom puts up a pretty good case for being the number one for the generation, however neids is sure as a top contender for that two spot.

that said hell yes he should have his number retired and i'll damn sure be there for it. he left for reasons other than money or even a desire to leave. he simply wanted to play with his brother. after 3 cups and a norris that was more that understandable if you ask me. especially considering he beat his brother for one of those cups. he served admirably here and did everything that was asked for him.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this a trick question? For me this is a no brainer. Of course he should have his number retired. Yes I'm still bitter about him going 3rd overall. The Islanders had the 4th pick & took Scott NoChance.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
thing with lindstrom....is the system he plays in and the fact the norris for the most part at that time wasnt given to the best d man just the best numbers. otherwise stevens should've gotten it a few years. put neids in a ducks jersey for his career or any other team probably and he would have lindstrom numbers.

to start my team off if i was given a choice of stevens or nieds give me nieds

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone says no, I'd question them. IMO the only locks would be him and Marty. I'd love to see Elias' number go up one day but I'm not sure. I do wonder if Johnny Mac (was was borderline if anything) coached his way out of his jersey being retired.

kellmit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is not doubt in my mind that he should have him number retired... I don't understand why the that that worthless piece of shit Mottau wear it.... I would also say yes to Elias and McLean even tho he sucked as coach for a long time he was the shit in NJ.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah i think that def tainted nieds a bit by having mottou wear it. shame on lou for that. i dont think maclean will have his number done. just dont see it happening

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes to patty no to MAC

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just to be sure. Everyone knows that they announced they WILL retire it this year.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I read that, I just didnt bother searching. Guess thats another game I HAVE to get to this year instead of just wanting to.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes to retirement....
No to best D man of our generation
No to taking him over Stevens (not based on talent...based on what each brings to the team).

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say no to Nieds. I love the guy but I don't know. The guy spent the last what 6 years of his career with another team. It's not like Stevens who played elsewhere for years and then came here and changed the identity of the team. Stevens is the guy holding the cup in photos, when you think of Devils and captain he is the only one that should come to mind. Nieds was great and probably number 3 all time favorite Devil, but he just doesn't strike me as the franchise player.

However, if Mac is getting his number retired then Nieds should as well. If it were up to me the only numbers that would be retired would be 3,4,26 and 30.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nah put nieds on a non defensive team he would have a ton of Norris trophies

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal opinion on mac is not based on his coaching in any way either for the record. He was a great player for us but not quite a guy I'd jump to honor. If your going to set the bar a mac get ready to have 20 numbers retired over the next 30 years

kellmit

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say yes to Mac but only after everyone else is done (Elias, Brodeur and Niedermayer)
but even saying that I would not be upset in the least if they never did it either

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My take on Nieds is that he's obviously going to be a first ballot HOF. He spent the majority of his career anchoring the best back 3 of the modern era. How many times did you hear about Stevens, Nieds, and Marty all starting for an all star game, or for Canada?

Neidermayer never put up huge points here, but that wasn't really his game. The guy was soo slick. Nieds left, and sure that left people mad, myself included, but for all the people that ever left, he certainly had the most understandable reasons.

The guy's going to be a Devil in the HOF (do nhl players pick an affiliation?) How can we not retire him. Daneyko was obviously retired because of his dedication to the team (playing his whole career), but he was obviously not even close to Nieds in terms of skill in any area.

Neids helped us win three cups and he deserves to be retired.

Regarding other players:

Only people right now who should really be considered are Elias and Marty.

Elias is going to be our leading point scorer for quite a while (at least until ZPar catches him).

Marty is obvious.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure he should..I think he's next , followed by Marty then Elias down the road.

Im glad the Devs are an organization that doesnt retire numbers just for the hell of it. Lou knows it should be something special.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MC to answer your question no hockey does not pick a team affiliation for the hall of fame but your point remains the same as i think everyone with half a brain and older than 10 will remember him as a devil

rp2five

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nieds number should be retired. Marty is next and then Elias. If MacLean didn't play for the rangers I would probably say yes to him.

Indian Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No brainer to retire Neids' number. I would also say yes to Elias and no to MacLean. I think you have to be careful about retiring numbers. I know people like to get jacked up for retiring a guy's number, but to me he has to be special to the franchise. MacLean wasn't special enough. Good guy, good player...but not quite jersey retiring level.

I would also take Stevens over Neids to start a team.