• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Short and sweet

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least ESPN waited to compare them to the best ever AFTER winning a title, unlike what they did with all the prolonged comparisons it did with the 2005 USC team.

HuskerBruce

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well at least the video laid out some points in LSU's favor, not just a random comment.

Best team ever beats 25 ranked texas by more than 7. That game was in doubt late. Beats Auburn by more than a field goal. They played one more top 10 finishing team than 95 Nebraska and didn't have close to the margin of victory 95 Nebraska did. This season's LSU is basically a 95 Florida who didn't run into a Nebraska. LSU averaged 35 more yards per game passing but Spurrier was killing the clock in a lot of those 4th quarters and averaged 44.5 points per game. Only 3.9 points per game less than LSU. Would you say that's a huge gap?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LSU had an amazing season.

I just have a huge problem with the way over quoted colloquialism that supposed Northwestern Journalism grad Greenie errors here: "it isn't especially close".

I mean, come the fuck on dude. Really? Nobody beat the fuck out of everybody else in dominating fashion, EVER before?

This is the part I hate. The accolades after the fact. And poured on with superlatives as if they have never seen such greatness before.

Major congrats LSU. An incredible season.

HuskerBruce

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
95 Nebraska had a better SRS than 19 LSU.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best team ever beats 25 ranked texas by more than 7. That game was in doubt late. Beats Auburn by more than a field goal. They played one more top 10 finishing team than 95 Nebraska and didn't have close to the margin of victory 95 Nebraska did. This season's LSU is basically a 95 Florida who didn't run into a Nebraska. LSU averaged 35 more yards per game passing but Spurrier was killing the clock in a lot of those 4th quarters and averaged 44.5 points per game. Only 3.9 points per game less than LSU. Would you say that's a huge gap?
It's a gap none the less. So a game was in doubt? That's your argument? And all you bring Is Nebraska had more ypg? Come on bro. I'd say Greenberg laid out a few more points than that.

95 Nebraska had a better SRS than 19 LSU.
still not making much of A compelling argument

HuskerBruce

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a gap none the less.

Ok. Well 95 Nebraska averaged 52.4, 4 total points more than 19 LSU.

If there had been a playoff in 95, Nebraska would have gotten Northwestern. Add a 5th top 10 team and trouncing to the resume.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Well 95 Nebraska averaged 52.4, 4 total points more than 19 LSU.

If there had been a playoff in 95, Nebraska would have gotten Northwestern. Add a 5th top 10 team and trouncing to the resume.
But they didn't. You can't say they would of trounced them. We've seen teams favored by 40+ points lose. So your theoretical argument doesn't exist. NEXT.

I'm more of an nfl guy, and have no dog in this fight, but you aren't making a compelling argument, except in your own head.

HuskerBruce

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they didn't. You can't say they would of trounced them. We've seen teams favored by 40+ points lose. So your theoretical argument doesn't exist. NEXT.

I'm more of an nfl guy, and have no dog in this fight, but you aren't making a compelling argument, except in your own head.

You contradict yourself. You're a douche nfl guy on a college football board . get fucked

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You contradict yourself. You're a douche nfl guy on a college football board . get fucked
Aw you're butthurt. I didn't know this was an exclusive forum for posters to base arguments on a hypothetical game that didn't take place. I'll make sure I take note of that next time I post here. Thank you for the education.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many close games to be GOAT.

If you remove MOV from the discussion, their resume surely stands up most of not all. However, when talking ALL TIME, MOV has to be a component. It isn’t simply being picky. And however much they dominated in the CFP, they still had 3 wins by a TD or less and another game (UF) that was tied at 28 in the 4th.

Again, we are talking greatest of ALL TIME. That means you have to look at EVERYTHING, not simply cherry pick the ones that fit an agenda.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless NU turned it over 6 times, they would’ve annihilated NW in 95. While you are right that it is a hypothetical, I’d FAR prefer my argument resting on a hypothetical NU blowout of NW than NW somehow managing to play NU close.

With all due respect, you admit you are “more of an NFL guy”. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my suspicion is you never saw 95 NU play.

I realize the NU fans get defensive (and a few can be outright pricks about it), but they have every right to defend that team as the GOAT. The only team that stayed within 20 points was WSU, and that was a 35-21 game in which the Cougars scored a late cosmetic TD. They simply beat down EVERY team on the schedule.

That includes a 62-24 win over an unbeaten UF team that was a helluva lot better than the 19 UF team that was tied 28-28 in the 4th at LSU.

HuskerBruce

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless NU turned it over 6 times, they would’ve annihilated NW in 95. While you are right that it is a hypothetical, I’d FAR prefer my argument resting on a hypothetical NU blowout of NW than NW somehow managing to play NU close.

With all due respect, you admit you are “more of an NFL guy”. Correct me if I’m wrong, but my suspicion is you never saw 95 NU play.

I realize the NU fans get defensive (and a few can be outright pricks about it), but they have every right to defend that team as the GOAT. The only team that stayed within 20 points was WSU, and that was a 35-21 game in which the Cougars scored a late cosmetic TD. They simply beat down EVERY team on the schedule.

That includes a 62-24 win over an unbeaten UF team that was a helluva lot better than the 19 UF team that was tied 28-28 in the 4th at LSU.

I'm not a prick when it comes to this topic. I'm an asshole!

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least ESPN waited to compare them to the best ever AFTER winning a title, unlike what they did with all the prolonged comparisons it did with the 2005 USC team.

Never understood that. Not just the part about comparing the to the best all time while the season was still going on either.

The 2005 team wasn't even as good as the 2004 team and it was pretty obvious all season.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood that. Not just the part about comparing the to the best all time while the season was still going on either.

The 2005 team wasn't even as good as the 2004 team and it was pretty obvious all season.

Same with 2018 Bama. The defense was nowhere close to being NC caliber, but many pundits ignored it because we were winning big and had an offense with “bling”.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said the same thing about Clemson last year. The "best ever" is about dominating your opponents game after game and doing it in style. LSU definitely did a lot of dominating but can't say they did it on both sides of the ball for most of the season. I can't crown them the best ever for just having possibly the best offense ever. Those Miami and Nebraska teams were way better defensively, different era though so really hard to compare but as far as dominating their opponents...they did it better imo

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will say the 2004 team had a better defense but as far as dominating, the 2004 team doesn't compare to the 2005 team. If they win vs Texas, they would be in the conversation for best team ever, top 5.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say the 2004 team had a better defense but as far as dominating, the 2004 team doesn't compare to the 2005 team. If they win vs Texas, they would be in the conversation for best team ever, top 5.

Actually, they do compare.

Folks get caught up in that offense that USC had in 2005. They averaged 49 points per game that season and had something like 5 or 6 games where they scored 50 or more.

But when you look at the 2 teams. The 2004 team won their games by an average score of 38-13 or 25 points per game. The 2005 team won by an average of 49-23 or 26 points per game.

Then, of course, in the biggest game of the season, the 2004 team won 55-19 while the 2005 team lost 38-41.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and that very well may be true. But my point was that in the OP. There was well laid out arguments. Here there was a hypothetical, and some yardage state. So if you are going to make that argument, lay it out on facts. He may 100% be correct. 95 NU may be the GOAT. But if you line up what he posted, and the points in the OP......That was my point. To me, a college football historian, a coach, or a person who doenst even know what a football likes like. Line up the arguments made.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that very well may be true. But my point was that in the OP. There was well laid out arguments. Here there was a hypothetical, and some yardage state. So if you are going to make that argument, lay it out on facts. He may 100% be correct. 95 NU may be the GOAT. But if you line up what he posted, and the points in the OP......That was my point. To me, a college football historian, a coach, or a person who doenst even know what a football likes like. Line up the arguments made.

What additional facts do you need. One team won every game by 14+ and all but one by 23+. One team had 3 games decided by 3, 5, and 7, and another that was tied in the 4th. One team beat 4 top 10 teams by 38, 23, 24, and 38 (including beating the 12-0 SEC champs 62-24. The other team gave up 37+ points 4 times, including one in which they yielded 402 rushing yards to an 8-loss team, and another in which they gave up 38 to Vandy.

If you are the GOAT, you should be CLEARLY above the rest of CFB for the season. Given the difference in 15 games vs. 12, I would give leeway to ONE close game. But not 3-4.

Again, if you want to argue “resume” without regard to MOV, this LSU team is in the conversation. Factoring in MOV, they aren’t. Obviously Greenberg favors resume without regard to MOV. I don’t, so his arguments don’t move me.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What additional facts do you need. One team won every game by 14+ and all but one by 23+. One team had 3 games decided by 3, 5, and 7, and another that was tied in the 4th. One team beat 4 top 10 teams by 38, 23, 24, and 38 (including beating the 12-0 SEC champs 62-24. The other team gave up 37+ points 4 times, including one in which they yielded 402 rushing yards to an 8-loss team, and another in which they gave up 38 to Vandy.

If you are the GOAT, you should be CLEARLY above the rest of CFB for the season. Given the difference in 15 games vs. 12, I would give leeway to ONE close game. But not 3-4.

Again, if you want to argue “resume” without regard to MOV, this LSU team is in the conversation. Factoring in MOV, they aren’t. Obviously Greenberg favors resume without regard to MOV. I don’t, so his arguments don’t move me.
fair enough.