• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shelton on Mesoraco

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB writer Mark Shelton says Price has a plan.

Maybe this new manager thing will work out after all.

MESORACO COMMENTS HERE

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked how Price sees Mesoraco going forward with this club. I like how he sees potential and what it takes to get that potential out of a young player. Dustmop would have a lineup filled out a week in advance and that is where you bat and when you play. That was not helping Mesoraco. Then ole Dustmop would start bench scrubs on a Sunday away game for no apparent reason. How that clown stayed in baseball doing that shit as long as he did is one of the most amazing achievements in sports history. You did notice how every GM in the big leagues ran from that loser when he was barking for a job. I LMAO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a clue in Price's comments about a "pull happy" approach- it was Dusty Bakers ONLY offensive "plan". The level of talent may be in question, because it's blatantly obvious to everyone (except Dusty) the Reds were designed to win LAST year, but not only did Dusty fail to effectively use what he had begore, there are new tools on the roster Dusty would have been inable to use. Hamilton is a small ball and steal player-a foreign concept to Dusty. Mesoraco was a better hitter going oppage, and although Zack Cozart stole 20 bases a year in the minors, Dusty only gave him 4 attempts in 2 seasons. Jay Bruce is the only logical cleanup hitter on a team without another player likely to hit 30HR, but didnt get the opportunity because Dusty feared hitting 2 lefties (with Votto) back to back- even though Bruce hit 15 more HR than Phillips and Ludwick combined, and also hit for a higher average against lefty pitchers than either. The Reds are among the least likely to make contact against the breaking ball, in no small part to Dusty's pull for power mandates, that didnt allow players like Stubbs, Frazier, Cozart, Heisey or Mesoraco to use a higher contact plate philosophy of staying inside the ball.

The Reds aren't going to replace Choo's 20/20/.420 OBP, but they have a chance to make up his run production with more logical offensive philosophy, and more fundamental baserunning excecution, always a bad joke under Dusty. All they really need is a LF that hits enough to be worthy if Ludwick's $9M next year, and a LHSP. They already have a couple of LHSP choices, but without trading one of the other rotation members, or Ludwick having a miracle, I haven't a clue where they'll find the bat in LF.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to gin up an offense with a catcher as a main component is real risky.
Not only is he a catcher, but he's well ... a catcher.

I do think the Reds will pull a deal soon but I doubt it makes us sing from the rooftops.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can a catcher hit higher in the lineup than 7th or 8th? This is blasphemy

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we have a little more to be excited about when spring training starts this year. Hopefully they can add another bat or 2, but even if they don't. It will be nice to see the change in how the team approaches the new season. Like the best hitters at the top of the batting order. no more righty lefty crap, maybe some small ball. No more 1.50 avg hitters getting 400 at bats in a season. You all know what I mean "Professional" baseball

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk so far has been encouraging.

Talk doesn't walk.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
95-408Fr.jpg

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Travino Wasn't he the guy that that took over for bench in 1981. He was really to small to be an everyday catcher, but the Reds management at the time saw fit to make him the every day catcher. He was really more of a utility player that could play almost any position, although the Reds never used him that way. He left the Reds and came back a few years latter and did fulfill that role and did much better.
Dan Bilardello, I think he was one of the many young players that was supposed to be "the next Johnny Bench" but faded into the sunset.
It took me a few years to realize, that they well never be another Johnny Bench. I never realized how good he was till he was done catching.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Bench moved to third base, the BRM was officially dead.

1982 record -- 61-101, the worst in franchise history.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I still haven't gotten over that.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that Mesoraco stinks, right?

Just give him ab's, right? Right?

Right....

We're in for a loooooong season. Ugh.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mesoraco stinks ? As opposed to Saltalamaccia, or Hundley, or Ellis, or anyone not named Molina ?

A catcher with a strong arm that can hit 15-20 HR can make lots of zeros in a contract these days...and one that works pitchers and hits .245 is still not a reason to blame for lack of offense when his left fielder hitting like a catcher.