• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shayne Gostisbehere Era Begins Tomorrow Night

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yesssssssss!

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on to your butts!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Erik Karlsson enjoyed his reign as the NHL's best offensive defenseman. Wasn't bound to last forever

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have this gut feeling that Ghost is going to kill it in the NHL. Maybe I'm too optimistic?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Flyers, I'd probably have an alignment like this:

Mark Streit - Ghost
Luke Schenn - MDZ
Nicklas Grossmann - Mark Alt
Nick Schultz

I'd call up Mark Alt and then move Nick Schultz back to the 7th d-man spot, that's what he was brought in here to be, not a top six guy

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mark Streit - Ghost
Luke Schenn - MDZ
Nick Schultz

I'd call up Mark Alt and then move Nick Schultz back to the 7th d-man spot, that's what he was brought in here to be, not a top six guy

^^^Looks good to me!!

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noooooo Schultz has been fine not awesome but stable. Why on earth would you make two changes creating more chaos? Pair Schultz with Ghost...done. Schultz will stay at home and Ghost can do his thing in a limited role...pretty excited!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noooooo Schultz has been fine not awesome but stable. Why on earth would you make two changes creating more chaos? Pair Schultz with Ghost...done. Schultz will stay at home and Ghost can do his thing in a limited role...pretty excited!

I don't trust anybody on that defense other than Mark Streit - if you're going to have Ghost up with the team, you might as well let him rock and roll and do his thing, let him play a lot and that's how he'll learn - if you're playing him in a limited role, any little mistake he makes will be more magnified - getting him on the ice more and more will give him a chance to wipe away any bad mistake in a heartbeat because he can move onto the next play much faster

It will also give him chemistry with Mark Streit on even strength because they can possibly play together on the power play too

Besides(other than possible waiver situations with the other d-men), if they wanted to bring in someone to play a limited role, they'd call up someone else - Ghost has more upside so that's why they called him up, they need someone who can actually play legitimate minutes

Last edited by a moderator:

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mark Streit - Ghost
Luke Schenn - MDZ
Nick Schultz

Streit and Ghost are best when he can join the rush and knows someone has his back. One is playing a weaker role if they are together. I look at it as 3 puck movers, Streit, Ghost, MDZ and 3 stay at home, Grossmann, Schenn and Schultz. I don't think you can put Alt and Ghost into the line up at the same time. I would think.

Streit - Grossmann
Ghost - Schultz
MDZ - Schenn

I originally thought about switching Schultz and Grossmann but think its better to have a stronger pairing with Streit and Grossmann.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schultz has done a fine job keeping his game simple. He is a fine 6 if the other members of the blueline are up to it and if the forwards are back checking.

I was hoping that the Flyers would be more conservative in who they called up, Manning or Laurissden or Alt, I really didn't want them to make a trade....but looking forward to seeing the Gost.

We just have to all remember...he is only 2 AHL games into his career. He will have moments when he looks lost/out of his place/out of control. I am confident that the long game on him will greatly outweigh the short term issues of learning on the fly.

If nothing else we are getting younger.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about it this isn't just the start of the Gostisbehere Era, it is the start of the defensive rebuild.

Not expecting anything defensively from Ghost. Just some beautiful skating and hopefully offensive chances

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pairings are:

Streit - Grossmann
MDZ - Schultz
Ghost - Schenn.

I was close.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking about it this isn't just the start of the Gostisbehere Era, it is the start of the defensive rebuild.

Not expecting anything defensively from Ghost. Just some beautiful skating and hopefully offensive chances

I totally agree Flyersfan. I think Hextall has in mind to rebuild the d and it looks like he going to do it slowly with people in the system rather than a boatload of trades that sometimes disrupt any developmental continuity heretofore established. Its a good plan in my mind.:10:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost very well tonight and he had some really good passes and shots and he play some solid D. He is a definite asset so far.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost faired well and a few of us were correct that they want puck movers with stay at home dmen it only makes sense. Hextalls on record saying this as that's the blueprint in LA...Cobiemonster you should know that!

On a side note Schultz has been pretty good better than expected. Nothing flashy but the guy is never out of position and gets the job done.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost looked, fine, to me. Made a few mistakes in the d zone, ie leaving datsyuk alone, but you could see the danger he creates offensively.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ghost faired well and a few of us were correct that they want puck movers with stay at home dmen it only makes sense. Hextalls on record saying this as that's the blueprint in LA...Cobiemonster you should know that!

On a side note Schultz has been pretty good better than expected. Nothing flashy but the guy is never out of position and gets the job done.

The key is the Flyers need to have those pieces, you can have "puck movers" and "stay at home d-men" on your team but just because they are considered one of those two doesn't mean they're automatically good - the current group of d-men isn't a desirable group so hopefully those young guys will make it so that they can do what the Kings do with the pairings