• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shame on the PGAT

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PGA Tour tax breaks help fuel giving which still falls below industry standards - ESPN

The article is really calling out the PGA Tour in the vein of fraud, but it stops short of that. Almost all institutional giving is done with tax breaks in mind so stating that tax breaks fuel the charitable donations is kind of a DUH moment on the part of the writer.

But...the part that I was a bit surprised about...there are watchdogs organizations that basically that monitor how much money a charity actually gives to the intended. The article points out that with the vast majority of the PGAT charities, the benefactors receive a very small amount of the funds raised...far lower than a credible charity according to this article.

That in itself doesn't really bother me either, but the PGAT spends more time telling us about their charitable efforts than any other sports league...it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth to brag about how much you're giving, when you're not really giving anywhere near that much.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. As much as they tout themselves as big providers to charity, to find out that the government watchdogs who monitor tax exempt businesses would give the PGA a zero on its scale of charitable donors is really disappointing. Especially the St Jude who claims they give everything to the hospital for child victims of cancer.