• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SF Niners and SF Giants comparison

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Its crazy how two teams from the same area in two different sports play a similar style. Win with defense and score just enough to win you the game.

Once they both score enough points they let the defense close it out for them.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in the Baseball Playoffs thread, so I felt I should put it here, too because of the subject matter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I heard on the Cowherd show a description of the Giants (without reference to the Niners) and it sounded very similar to the 49ers. I almost expected them to mention the Niners a few times, but they didn't. Here are the things the guest (don't know his name) said and my impressions on the Niners simularities.

- The Giants aren't big homerun hitters, much like we're not big yardage passing team. However, they have stocked themselves with players who are good at getting on base, whether it be single, double, triple, just like we try to 'take what the defense gives us'. The guy on the radio said without the use of steroids as much and if the Giants show that this can win, this may be a new/revival of this style of winning. Arizona, with their QB struggles, and Seattle with a rookie QB, may emulate the Niners with Smith because they have better defenses than most.​

- Barry Zito has been compared to Alex Smith in that both were paid a lot, didn't live up to expectations, but have since picked up their play. The radio guest remarked how Zito did 'simulated games' when he wasn't playing - not sure exactly what that is, but to me, it shows he worked hard when not the guy, like Alex would throw with the receivers on the bye week and had his camp when not under contract. Colin Kaepernick may be Matt Cain? (Don't know enough about Cain, but he was after Zito and plays the same position as Zito. Better?)​

- The guest mentioned the stadium how the Giants are built to take advantage of the unique conditions, just like Candlestick can be windy, wet, and foggy for Niner games.​

- Also mentioned the history and culture of winning, with Mays and Co. like we have Montana, Young, Rice, and Lott.​

I'm sure there are other similarities besides their city that bigger fans of both teams know, but that was interesting.

jordan20_3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wow I never heard that interview but whomever the caller was was spot on. Thats really weird or is its a coincedence. Ive never seem that in sports at all.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I never heard that interview but whomever the caller was was spot on. Thats really weird or is its a coincedence. Ive never seem that in sports at all.

The interview didn't talk about the Niners at all, but since I didn't know much about baseball, all I could think about was the Niners. So, they remarked on the not-many-HR hitters, defense, etc. and all of it screamed "Niners." I did know Barry Zito and despite a brainfart listing Mantle instead of Mays in the first thread, I knew about Mays. I followed the Giants this postseason, but don't know much about them. I was rooting for them, though. (Didn't grow up with a baseball team in my state.)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I’ve lived up here now eight years and all the games I go to are Giants games. I’ve gotten to know a bunch of those guys. And, really, more than that, it’s just their style of baseball that’s kind of made me a fan of the team. They’re hard not to root for and last year they kind of sucked me in.” - Alex Smith on the Giants style of baseball. Maybe the way the two teams think is similar.

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Alex Smith on his role in commercial, Giants parade (End of Article)