• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serious question: Metallica

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a pretty big Metallica fan, and I was before I was a VT fan. "One" has always been my favorite song, but when Enter Sandman comes on it just feels different haha.

Also, I like the intro to Ride the Lightning and For Whom the Bell Tolls, those would be sweet. I'm at work and can't link to youtube, but if you don't know Walk by Pantera, you should give it a listen. I would go absolutely nuts if that was our entrance song

If we were Oklahoma State, we could come out to Cowboys from Hell. LOL. Maybe that should be the NFL's team song since they suck so bad.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Walk would absolutely be bad ass. As to Enter Sandman, not a huge Metallica fan, but whenever I hear that song, I just get pumped up. Hell, the Sports Junkies play that as their intro on 106.7 the fan during my ride in to work and it just gets me going for the day.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like pre-black album Metallica. I loved Cliff Burton on bass(the band has never been the same since he died) and Kirk on lead guitar. What has turned me off from them(aside from their horrible song writing for the past 20 years) is just how big of a douchebags James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich are. On top of that, James is probably the most annoying lead singer ever and Lars has always been a complete waste of space on drums. He's so bad even their great songs are almost ruined for me. I heard Metallica's latest album and while I still didn't think much of it, it was more of a return to their pre-black album days than anything else they've done in 20 years. At least they're trying, that's about the best thing I could say about 'em.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
OT:

Why do people not like the black album? Every time metallica comes up, the vast majority of people say " i liked them before the black album". FWIW i grew up on metallica (kill em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, and justice for all, etc) so i can understand why people dont like shit after "metallica" but i thought (and still think)the black album is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT:

Why do people not like the black album? Every time metallica comes up, the vast majority of people say " i liked them before the black album". FWIW i grew up on metallica (kill em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, and justice for all, etc) so i can understand why people dont like shit after "metallica" but i thought (and still think)the black album is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Too mainstream sounding. Their songs went from long and fast to short and soft. Even the better, heavier songs like Sad But True and Wherever I May Roam are pretty weak compared to the earlier stuff. It was their sell-out album. It's not a terrible album, I think most people hate it because of what it represents(and because it's not as good as the earlier stuff).

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
To be honest, Metallica "sold out" far before the black album. They sold out when they changed the name of (well i cant remember the original name) to kill em all to satisfy record exec's and get the album distributed and when they canceled tons of US shows to tour europe and germany for more $$$.

Which brings up a different debate and maybe the OT forum is a better place for this but isnt it the ultimate dream of every kid with a guitar and a garage to "sell out".

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, Metallica "sold out" far before the black album. They sold out when they changed the name of (well i cant remember the original name) to kill em all to satisfy record exec's and get the album distributed and when they canceled tons of US shows to tour europe and germany for more $$$.

Which brings up a different debate and maybe the OT forum is a better place for this but isnt it the ultimate dream of every kid with a guitar and a garage to "sell out".

Well I mean selling out musically. Lots of bands sell out but when Metallica did it it was a huge thing because they set the precedent of what selling out is. I remember watching that Heavy Metal documentary on VH1 and they had Chris Jericho from WWE on there talking about the black album and he said something along of the lines of "When you grow up loving Metallica and now all the sudden you hear your little sister listening to the black album in her room it makes you question your entire life up to that point" lol

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like pre-black album Metallica. I loved Cliff Burton on bass(the band has never been the same since he died) and Kirk on lead guitar. What has turned me off from them(aside from their horrible song writing for the past 20 years) is just how big of a douchebags James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich are. On top of that, James is probably the most annoying lead singer ever and Lars has always been a complete waste of space on drums. He's so bad even their great songs are almost ruined for me. I heard Metallica's latest album and while I still didn't think much of it, it was more of a return to their pre-black album days than anything else they've done in 20 years. At least they're trying, that's about the best thing I could say about 'em.

Love Cliff! Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets were great albums. That said, One is such an epic song

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well at least we can all agree that everything after black album sucks.:high5:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun fact about Metallica; after Cliff Burton died, Les Claypool(before Primus was formed) tried out and they told him he was "too good"

Something about Metallica being played on slap bass is innately awesome to me

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were Oklahoma State, we could come out to Cowboys from Hell. LOL. Maybe that should be the NFL's team song since they suck so bad.

Hell yes that would be awesome.."Walk" is great too. Seen them with White Zombie in Hampton years ago..great show.RIP Dimebag!! On another note,
I wouldn't grace that NFL team with such a bad ass song..they are not deserved of that.

Sorry man..have to disagree, while his latest stuff is not as good as the old Lars is still top 2 or 3 of the greatest drummers EVER..He can play anything he wants, make it sound like he wants, he just chooses not to do so..this in spite of him becoming a dick.

Wasn't the original idea "Metal up your ass"??