• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Serious question: Metallica

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's VT fan's big fascination with Metallica? Yes, I know they are the artist of Enter Sandman. I just find it comical that some of yall get all giddy when a rumor gets started about how Metallica may be playing the song live at a game. That rumor gets started 2-3 times every year it seems. Am I way off base here? I'm not trolling, I'm just interested in hearing rational Hokie fans opinions.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Usually it is just a joke about Metallica playing at a game, I have never heard a rumor serious about it. It all has to do with Enter Sandman, and it doesn't hurt that the son of one of the guys that represented them goes to VT, hence the entrance video done by Metallica.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What's VT fan's big fascination with Metallica? Yes, I know they are the artist of Enter Sandman. I just find it comical that some of yall get all giddy when a rumor gets started about how Metallica may be playing the song live at a game. That rumor gets started 2-3 times every year it seems. Am I way off base here? I'm not trolling, I'm just interested in hearing rational Hokie fans opinions.

No more "giddy" than when the boy george rumors start to fly in who?ville.

FWIW before this season i dont remember ever hearing a rumor about metallica playing in Lane. I dont think this rumor would get much attention if someone at VT didnt have ties to metallica. IMO it is still very much a longshot, but who knows?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't get giddy because it will never happen. The ONLY way I could see it is if an ASTRONOMICAL fee was payed for them to come and play that song and/or an all out concert at Lane Stadium and then they still may not do it. Metallica is one of my all time favorites, seen them several times but they are much more "business" than they used to be. I guess the fame and fortune (along with music piracy) drove them and everyone else to that.

On another note: Although I LOVE the Enter Sandman entrance song, I would like to see VT "mix it up" and throw some other Metallica songs in during the breaks, commercials, timeouts, etc. Here is my short list...

1) For whom the bell tolls
2) Seek and Destroy
3) Blackened
4) Fuel
5) Creeping Death

Funny we are on this topic, I had to just edit this post. I like the way CNNSI has done their power ranking this year, from Star Wars, to cartoons, and NOW..Rock and roll videos..Enter Sandman conveniently represents VT

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...video-power-rankings/index.html?sct=cf_t11_a1

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I also love metallica (black album and before mostly) but i have to agree with sparks:

love their music but they arent doing anything unless it involves $ and a lot of it and i really dont think it is important enought to VT to fork over the cash. Maybe this guys dad can talk them into it but like i said above, its a long shot @ best.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think ive ever heard this rumor before...and as for Metallica as a whole...Enter Sandman is great, for obvious reasons....but anything after the Black Album is complete garbage.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even really like Metallica. My love for Enter Sandman is purely based on anticipation of what is about to happen. It could honestly be any song...

As for more Metallica during breaks, I think it's a bad idea. For the most part, there aren't that many students, and even fewer players that are into hardcore rock. I've noticed Clemson and a lot of other schools playing more electro stuff which is much more popular now, or stick to hip-hop

The ONLY time I ever heard a 'rumor' about Metallica was the 05 Miami game, and I think that was just something along the lines of 'wouldn't it be cool to have Metallica do it live'

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even really like Metallica. My love for Enter Sandman is purely based on anticipation of what is about to happen. It could honestly be any song...

As for more Metallica during breaks, I think it's a bad idea. For the most part, there aren't that many students, and even fewer players that are into hardcore rock. I've noticed Clemson and a lot of other schools playing more electro stuff which is much more popular now, or stick to hip-hop

The ONLY time I ever heard a 'rumor' about Metallica was the 05 Miami game, and I think that was just something along the lines of 'wouldn't it be cool to have Metallica do it live'

lol...metallica...hardcore...tee hee

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the rumor comes from this quote from the following Washington Post article.

Gearhart says he's working on getting Metallica to participate in another Virginia Tech-related initiative, but declined to go into specifics because "unless I can deliver it, unless Marc can deliver it, then you just disappoint. The key here is really just supporting my son and being able to fan the flames of this insane enthusiasm that they generate."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs.../10/gIQAbXmgaL_blog.html?wprss=hokies-journal

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get what you're saying. There are only a few rock songs that people recognize (thunderstruck, seven nation army, etc.) so I don't think people would react to other heavier rock songs the way that they should. I don't know why they don't play thunderstruck, though. Everyone likes the intro to that song

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haha I think you have made my point for me...

i was laughing at the notion of metallica being hardcore...is that what you were going for?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha yes, that's how I understood it. I was alluding to the fact that you can easily see how into 'rock' music I am.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't do techno..techno/electro sucks. Didn't raves go out of style in the 90's?? IMO the sports that are VERY physical (football/hockey) and motorsports need only go the route of hard, edgy, music. The kind of music that makes you want to go knock someone's damn head off or drive 150 mph. There is no place in these sports for country, hip-hop, or anything else (OK, maybe country in motorsports, just for tradition's sake). Hip-hop has basketball and baseball has...well..take me out to the ball game and John Fogerty. While I understand all of your opinions on the demographics I just can't stomach it. If VT's intro changed to some of that shit..I would wanna puke.
Not trying to disrespect anyone's taste in music, I have the utmost respect for most "musicians" and styles...Just my opinion.

Maybe I am just getting old and stuck in the 80's and 90's???

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying. There are only a few rock songs that people recognize (thunderstruck, seven nation army, etc.) so I don't think people would react to other heavier rock songs the way that they should. I don't know why they don't play thunderstruck, though. Everyone likes the intro to that song

Probably because almost every other D1 school plays that during their football games. We do it for basketball though.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha yes, that's how I understood it. I was alluding to the fact that you can easily see how into 'rock' music I am.

ahhhh haha yeah i gotcha

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

As Evan said, it's a running joke that is mostly used for the spring game (at least for the last 5 years I've been paying attention). Usually you'll see someone asking how much the spring game is and someone says "10 dollars, but Metallica is playing at halftime" or something along those lines.

I was honestly surprised that they made a video for VT, so there's a possibility they might play at Lane one day, but it's most likely not going to happen.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a pretty big Metallica fan, and I was before I was a VT fan. "One" has always been my favorite song, but when Enter Sandman comes on it just feels different haha.

Also, I like the intro to Ride the Lightning and For Whom the Bell Tolls, those would be sweet. I'm at work and can't link to youtube, but if you don't know Walk by Pantera, you should give it a listen. I would go absolutely nuts if that was our entrance song

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a pretty big Metallica fan, and I was before I was a VT fan. "One" has always been my favorite song, but when Enter Sandman comes on it just feels different haha.

Also, I like the intro to Ride the Lightning and For Whom the Bell Tolls, those would be sweet. I'm at work and can't link to youtube, but if you don't know Walk by Pantera, you should give it a listen. I would go absolutely nuts if that was our entrance song

dude...that would be the shit!