• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

September Callups

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who you got coming up in September?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet we will see a few returns like Alvarez, Ciriaco and Moskos. Then we probably will see Garrett Olson.

I wonder if Bowker and Hernandez will get callups with the OF looking set with Tabata, Presley and McCutchen. I don't think either really could be major league starters (Bowker already proved that) but maybe one will show enough for an off season deal.

Then we probably will see the return of Jeff Clement and hopefully Matt Hague to play 1B.

For my long shot that might be intriguing is Sterling Marte. I think it is too early and might hurt his development if he does badly but his August OPS: 1,118 and his OBP of .448 are great.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW...Per John Perrotto he is stating the Pirates plan on bringing up 10 players.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW...Per John Perrotto he is stating the Pirates plan on bringing up 10 players.

Wow, that's a ton.

I'd like to see them bring up Bryan Morris to see what he has out of the pen.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts

From Indianapolis:

- Alvarez (but perhaps not until Indy's season ends)
- Ciriaco
- Fryer or Jaramillo, but not both
- Gorkys Hernandez
- Locke
- Moskos
- Aaron Thompson (reward for good spot start)

Beyond that, it has been reported that Hurdle wants 35 players max in the locker room. I expect Ludwick, Lee, and possibly Snyder back from the DL.

Most likely other call-ups: Garrett Olson (would require a 40-man roster move), Kyle McPherson, Bryan Morris

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Indianapolis:

- Ciriaco
- Gorkys Hernandez
- Locke
- Moskos

Beyond that, it has been reported that Hurdle wants 35 players max in the locker room. I expect Ludwick, Lee, and possibly Snyder back from the DL.

Most likely other call-ups: Garrett Olson (would require a 40-man roster move), Kyle McPherson, Bryan Morris

Why do you think Locke will get the call, they have been extra slow at moving him his whole time in the organization? And what about Hague?

I definitely agree with Thompson and Gorkys, though.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you think Locke will get the call, they have been extra slow at moving him his whole time in the organization? And what about Hague?

I definitely agree with Thompson and Gorkys, though.

Locke is a lefty starter, has pitched reasonably well all year, is on the 40-man roster, and is a Huntington acquisition. With Maholm and Correia on the DL, and Karstens skipping at least one start, the team needs another starter. That could be Thompson or they might want to give Locke a look. The other most likely candidate (based on performance) seems to be Garrett Olson, but he's NOT on the 40-man roster, and would require a roster move to be promoted.

Hague is not on the 40-man roster and Lee is due back soon. The team has signaled that Lee and Ludwick both will get regular playing time when they return. That leaves nowhere for Hague to play. Personally, I'd rather see Hague than Lee.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magnumo...I heard that also about Ludwick and Lee getting a lot of playing time when healthy so that would scratch Hague. As for a starter this article mentions Leroux.

Pirates take wait-and-see approach to Maholm contract - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Once again with you I would rather see the likes of Hague and Locke.

Yeah, thedddd, I saw that article..... and I wouldn't mind seeing Leroux tried as a starter. However, the article says that probably won't happen. But I don't understand the logic put forth as to why it won't happen. (If anyone can parse that paragraph in the article, I'd appreciate your take.)

At any rate, it seems increasingly likely that they won't pick up Maholm's option, pending what happens with his shoulder. Since he's the last lefty starter in the regular rotation, it makes more sense for them to try Thompson or Locke (lefties), rather than Leroux (righty). But we shall see. Perhaps all three will get a start between now and season's end. It's obvious that the Bucs aren't going anywhere..... so I'd like to see them try out a few guys.

On the other hand, it seems likely that they will try to win as many games as possible, in order to "demonstrate" a more significant improvement over last season.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Trib Live Article

Right-hander Chris Leroux would like to shift from a relief to a starting role. However, that appears to be a remote possibility, considering he's out of minor league options and has a relatively low total of career innings pitched.

It is the bolded section. Yeah I read that a few times and I still can't figure out why that is a reason to not let him start?

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Locke is a lefty starter, has pitched reasonably well all year, is on the 40-man roster, and is a Huntington acquisition. With Maholm and Correia on the DL, and Karstens skipping at least one start, the team needs another starter. That could be Thompson or they might want to give Locke a look. The other most likely candidate (based on performance) seems to be Garrett Olson, but he's NOT on the 40-man roster, and would require a roster move to be promoted.

Hague is not on the 40-man roster and Lee is due back soon. The team has signaled that Lee and Ludwick both will get regular playing time when they return. That leaves nowhere for Hague to play. Personally, I'd rather see Hague than Lee.

I see the arguments for Locke, and I'd bring him up, just because this season is getting increasingly hard to stomach, and he could bring something interesting to the final month. But I think Aaron Thompson is coming up for sure.

Lee and Ludwick are albatrosses at this point, and I'd certainly rather see Hague, but I don't think it would be sending a good message to possible future veteran acquisitions if they did anything but play them down the stretch. Sucks that stuff like that matters, but it does. I'd probably bring up Hague anyway.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the bolded section. Yeah I read that a few times and I still can't figure out why that is a reason to not let him start?

His arm isn't stretched out. He hasn't pitched 80 innings in a professional season ever. Expecting him to pitch 150 as a starter, which is a low total, in a season has a high probability of ruining his arm.

It's not like he started his whole career then moved to the pen recently, he's been in the pen his whole career.

Why mess up a good thing anyway? He could be a decent 8th inning guy.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His arm isn't stretched out. He hasn't pitched 80 innings in a professional season ever. Expecting him to pitch 150 as a starter, which is a low total, in a season has a high probability of ruining his arm.

It's not like he started his whole career then moved to the pen recently, he's been in the pen his whole career.

Why mess up a good thing anyway? He could be a decent 8th inning guy.

Thanks, element. That makes more sense than anything I could come up with. My problem was that I was thinking about Leroux getting a spot start between now and season's end, rather than next season. Shame on me.

I see the arguments for Locke, and I'd bring him up, just because this season is getting increasingly hard to stomach, and he could bring something interesting to the final month. But I think Aaron Thompson is coming up for sure.

Lee and Ludwick are albatrosses at this point, and I'd certainly rather see Hague, but I don't think it would be sending a good message to possible future veteran acquisitions if they did anything but play them down the stretch. Sucks that stuff like that matters, but it does. I'd probably bring up Hague anyway.

Unfortunately, they're now reporting that Thompson can't come back up in time to take Karstens' regular turn on Sept. 2, because he was optioned too recently. He just got hammered in a start last night, anyway..... so he wouldn't be ready to start again on Friday. In looking at the Indy rotation, Sean Gallagher is in line to start on Sept. 2. I don't think much of Gallagher, but since he's not on the 40-man, it seems unlikely that we need to worry about him making a start in Pittsburgh. On the other hand, Locke last started and last pitched for Indy on Aug. 25, so he'd be well rested. I'm gonna check to see who starts for Indy today. Perhaps that will provide additional insight. (Indy is off tomorrow.)

I agree completely with your thoughts on Lee, Ludwick, and Hague. Actually, I didn't think much of the acquisitions of Lee and Ludwick in the first place. (Well, I was OK with Lee, but only because he spelled the end of Overbay in Pittsburgh.) Unfortunately, I'm now hearing rumors that Huntington may try to sign Lee for next season. If that happens, it will be another strong argument against extending Huntington, in my opinion.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, element. That makes more sense than anything I could come up with. My problem was that I was thinking about Leroux getting a spot start between now and season's end, rather than next season. Shame on me.

Thanks element...Magnumo, I was thinking the same thing.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure every setup man in baseball wants a shot at the rotation/closer. The difference in salary is enormous.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna check to see who starts for Indy today. Perhaps that will provide additional insight. (Indy is off tomorrow.)

Well, it won't be Locke on Friday. He started for Indy today and got the win..... went 7 innings, gave up 1 run on 3 hits, with 8 K's and 0 walks. Olson pitched an inning of relief today. He's been working out of the bullpen lately, so he's out as a spot starter for the Pirates on Friday. I'm running out of likely candidates.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One right and one wrong so far

From Indianapolis:

- Ciriaco
- Gorkys Hernandez
- Locke
- Moskos

According to the "Game Notes" at the bottom of the AP/ESPN game report for tonight's game with the Dodgers, the Pirates have called up Jason Jaramillo (who pinch hit in tonight's game)..... and have purchased the contract of Brian Burres, so that he can take Karstens' scheduled start tomorrow. Sure didn't see that one coming. Burres has a 4.66 ERA at Indy in 25 games, including 23 starts, and his peripherals don't look strong.

I gotta wonder who's coming off the 40-man roster to make room for Burres.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the "Game Notes" at the bottom of the AP/ESPN game report for tonight's game with the Dodgers, the Pirates have called up Jason Jaramillo (who pinch hit in tonight's game)..... and have purchased the contract of Brian Burres, so that he can take Karstens' scheduled start tomorrow. Sure didn't see that one coming. Burres has a 4.66 ERA at Indy in 25 games, including 23 starts, and his peripherals don't look strong.

I gotta wonder who's coming off the 40-man roster to make room for Burres.

Likely they move someone to the 60 day DL to make room.