• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks and NFL Draft: Who will they take at No. 32?

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks and NFL Draft: Who will they take at No. 32?

With the NFL Combine wrapped up, a look ahead to the NFL draft and what options the Seahawks might have with their first-round draft pick.

By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

According to general manager John Schneider, one of the secrets to the success of the Seattle Seahawks is, well, secrets.

When he met the media at the NFL Combine last week, a reporter told Schneider the Seahawks have a reputation for doing a good job “keeping things under your hat’’ when it comes to who they might draft, and other personnel matters.

“I appreciate you saying that,” Schneider said. “I take that as a compliment. I really do. … Loose lips sink ships. I think our people do a very good job of keeping things in house.”

In other words, good luck getting a read from the Seahawks on who they might take with their first-round pick when the NFL draft begins May 8.

As the Super Bowl champs, Seattle gets the 32nd and last pick in the first round (assuming, of course, no trades up or down). So who the Seahawks pick will also be a function of which players remain when their turn finally comes.

Schneider, head coach Pete Carroll and many other Seahawk coaches, scouts and executives were in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine, which wrapped up Tuesday and serves as sort of a symbolic beginning of the draft season.

The combine also helps to give a little more clarity as to which players might be available in which spots. True, misinformation runs rampant this time of year, and with the draft moved back two weeks, there’s more time than ever for things to change from now until the picks are called.

All caveats accepted, here’s a look at who might be available when the Seahawks pick at No. 32, and who might also make sense for Seattle to draft:

• Kelvin Benjamin, wide receiver, Florida State: With Sidney Rice expected to be officially released soon (The Times has confirmed earlier reports that he will soon be cut), the Seahawks are without a big receiver on the roster (though in another caveat, what happens in the March free-agency period will also greatly determine what a team’s true needs are come draft time).

Assuming Seattle still needs a tall receiver, Benjamin — who measured 6 feet 5, 240 at the combine — could fit the bill, if he’s available. Benjamin is one of two big receivers generally considered as potential first-rounders, Texas A&M’s Mike Evans the other. But the consensus out of the combine is that Evans appeared more ready for the NFL and likely to go higher than Benjamin, who looked a little more like a project.

• Brandin Cooks, wide receiver, Oregon State: Even if Evans and Benjamin are gone when Seattle’s pick comes, the Seahawks might still want a receiver regardless of size — especially if they have lost Golden Tate or Doug Baldwin, or both, in free agency without getting a replacement. Cooks measured at 5-9¾, 189 pounds at the combine but wowed scouts with a 4.33 40 and a 36-inch vertical that might have, well, leapt him into the first round.

• David Yankey, guard, Stanford: Another takeaway from the combine was the depth of the offensive-line class, especially the tackles. The best of the tackles, though, will be long gone by the time Seattle picks. And at the moment, guard might be Seattle’s bigger need, anyway. Yankey played both at Stanford, but most teams view him as a guard. He’s another who some project a lot higher than Seattle’s No. 32 pick, but he didn’t put up impressive numbers at the combine, leading some to think he could fall to the end of the first round (and Seattle has done pretty well developing Stanford players the last few years).

• Jace Amaro, tight end, Texas Tech: Heading into the combine, the tight-end class was considered exceptionally strong. Coming out of the combine, the story line was that the tight-end class failed to impress as much as expected (including a stress fracture in his foot that prevented Washington’s Austin Seferian-Jenkins from participating). That could be good news for the Seahawks, especially if the team releases Zach Miller for salary-cap reasons, as many speculate could happen. Amaro came out of the combine generally considered the No. 2 tight end after North Carolina’s Eric Ebron and might still be available at No. 32.

• Xavier Sua-Filo, guard, UCLA: Sua-Filo, who played both guard and tackle at UCLA but is regarded more likely to end up inside in the NFL, was generally considered one of the better-performing offensive linemen at the combine, and figures to be a late-first, early-second pick who might make sense for the Seahawks.

Seahawks and NFL Draft: Who will they take at No. 32? | Seahawks | The Seattle Times

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hard to call this before FA and we truly find out where we are looking depth wise with this roster. And of course with Carroll and Schneider, you never know since these guys are 24/7 smoke and mirrors.

Plus this team is a superbowl winner, and the window is wide open to continue challenging for the SB for years. It's a very delicate dance of having a roster built to win now, while planning for the future at same time.

And let's not forget we basically redshirted half our 2013 draft class. We still got guys like Hill, Michaels, Williams, and Simon chomping at the bit to play in 2014.

Roster is soo deep it's criminal compared to the shittier franchises out there.

It's why at this point, we can take projects with big upside right now. Great benefit of the rookie salary cap our team is playing like a violin.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have become one of the NFL's hardest teams to predict in the draft. Nobody even remotely expected the Seahawks to draft Christine Michael with their first pick last year, Bruce Irvin the year before that, then James Carpenter the year before that. Even when you look at their picks in the later rounds, it is still difficult to predict even then. The team has a model of the players it wants and it will take them regardless of if it is considered a reach.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have become one of the NFL's hardest teams to predict in the draft. Nobody even remotely expected the Seahawks to draft Christine Michael with their first pick last year, Bruce Irvin the year before that, then James Carpenter the year before that. Even when you look at their picks in the later rounds, it is still difficult to predict even then. The team has a model of the players it wants and it will take them regardless of if it is considered a reach.

I never bought all MSM and Kiper phony outrage over the Irvin pick like it was some massive reach. I guarantee he wouldn't of been available at the start of the second. Considering pass rush was one of our top needs and Irvin was considered the top QB assassin in the draft, I wasn't shocked in the least they took him.

But that was at the time the Seahawks had an army of doubters that PC was going to fail as a NFL coach and never win more than 7 wins per season as Seattle coach. The final nail in the coffin of that stupidity was put to rest a few weeks ago, but lots of dummies on the press still can't come to grips we won a SB with PC and the team we built.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never bought all MSM and Kiper phony outrage over the Irvin pick like it was some massive reach. I guarantee he wouldn't of been available at the start of the second. Considering pass rush was one of our top needs and Irvin was considered the top QB assassin in the draft, I wasn't shocked in the least they took him.

But that was at the time the Seahawks had an army of doubters that PC was going to fail as a NFL coach and never win more than 7 wins per season as Seattle coach. The final nail in the coffin of that stupidity was put to rest a few weeks ago, but lots of dummies on the press still can't come to grips we won a SB with PC and the team we built.

At the time I was shocked by the pick. I had seen Irvin as a mid 2nd round pick as he had a good number of flaws which were quite apparent in his rookie year, specifically his inability to play the run and the fact that he primarily relied on his freakish athleticism to rush the passer in college. Some of those flaws did carry over into the NFL, as a DE in his rookie year he primarily only came in during passing downs, but there were times it appeared he was relying on his athletic ability and not technique to try to get to the QB, athletic ability alone won't be enough against the better tackles in the NFL. IMO he is still a pretty raw player with a world of natural talent though.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to say they take no one at 32 and trade down. Try and pick up maybe a 3rd that they lost in the Harvin trade.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think part of the reason they're so unpredictable is they truly pick the best player available.

alot of other teams give this lip service of taking BPA....but if they happen to have a need at LB, they make sure the BPA on their board fills that need! lol

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to say they take no one at 32 and trade down. Try and pick up maybe a 3rd that they lost in the Harvin trade.

I agree. This year's draft class is supposed to be the deepest class in a long time and if the Hawks don't see exactly what they want at 32, I can absolutely see them trading down. The other thing that could make them want to trade down is more salary cap flexibility. Obviously once you get down to the bottom of the first round, you aren't paying guys what you'd pay for the guys at the top, but if the Seahawks think they can still get what they want in the 2nd round and they get the added bonus of not having to pay first round money to anyone, I think they'll at least consider it.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Clowney is still available for us at 32 :yahoo:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was actually some guy on football future's board that mocked us taking Michael. He was the ONLY person I saw out of all the mocks but it was amazing he predicted that to happen at pick 60 or whatever. Amazing.

Sasquatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
spacer.gif