• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawk mania has really hit a peak

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got to say that I don't think I've ever seen this city even remotely close to how obsessed it is with the Seahawks right now.

A friend of mine is getting her PhD at UW and I went over to the campus today to grab lunch with her and there was a huge crowd of people standing outside chanting "Go Seahawks". I also stopped at Southcenter mall on my way home and noticed that a good 50% of people were wearing Seahawks gear.

Pretty remarkable.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're making a few converts out here in VA. People have been buzzing about hometown hero Russell Wilson and Virginia Tech alum Kam Chancellor.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watching the coverage of the team and seeing all the fan stuff on the news and on social media has been surreal. Everywhere you look, there's a story on the Seahawks or the 12's and it's just insane. Whether it's pictures of people wearing Seahawks gear for Blue Friday in their offices or Seahawks logos in peoples' lawns/airplanes or 12's everywhere or interviews in New York by local and national media with Seahawks fans or live shots on the streets of Manhattan with chants of "Sea-Hawks" in the background, it's everywhere and it's great! It's been a fun couple of weeks, but now it's crunch time. It's 42 hours or so from game time and I'm ready for it to start already.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I sure hope they win. If not..........Don`t even want to think about all that pain.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does it compare to the Super Bowl XL team? Seattle even more excited now than then?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does it compare to the Super Bowl XL team? Seattle even more excited now than then?

It seems that way, but there's also more outlets for people to display that excitement now than there was then, so there likely was just as much excitement, but it didn't feel as connected then as it does now if that makes any sense.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that way, but there's also more outlets for people to display that excitement now than there was then, so there likely was just as much excitement, but it didn't feel as connected then as it does now if that makes any sense.

That makes sense. Social media alone is a big difference in it all I am sure. The buzz must be awesome to witness and be a part of.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my best friends is the manager at the biggest music store on Oahu. He knows what a fan I am. He lit up the store this weekend with stage light systems to rep the Seahawks all the way from Hawaii. It fronts one of the busiest streets on Oahu.

61318_10152290400747122_1566008154_n.jpg

1625617_10152290400732122_1993480416_n.jpg

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my best friends is the manager at the biggest music store on Oahu. He knows what a fan I am. He lit up the store this weekend with stage light systems to rep the Seahawks all the way from Hawaii. It fronts one of the busiest streets on Oahu.

61318_10152290400747122_1566008154_n.jpg

1625617_10152290400732122_1993480416_n.jpg

Wow that's pretty cool looking! Hopefully nobody from Colorado is shopping there.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I remember this kind of buzz in the city over the 2001 Mariners. That refuse to lose movement had every bit of this feel. Baseball is such a long season and they were so damned good over that entire season that by the end of it you couldn't go anywhere without seeing people dressed up in M's gear.

Outside of that, no. This is much bigger than the SB40 vibe. The city was behind that as well of course, but there is something different about this team. A lot more confidence and just the feeling that no matter what happens in this game this isn't an end, but a beginning of a dynasty. That has this base on fire like no other. People I know in NY right now say you see Seahawk gear all over and neither has seen a single Denver shirt. Random bars have people doing sea-hawk chants. I'm SURE we will hear them in the stands.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I remember this kind of buzz in the city over the 2001 Mariners. That refuse to lose movement had every bit of this feel. Baseball is such a long season and they were so damned good over that entire season that by the end of it you couldn't go anywhere without seeing people dressed up in M's gear.

Outside of that, no. This is much bigger than the SB40 vibe. The city was behind that as well of course, but there is something different about this team. A lot more confidence and just the feeling that no matter what happens in this game this isn't an end, but a beginning of a dynasty. That has this base on fire like no other. People I know in NY right now say you see Seahawk gear all over and neither has seen a single Denver shirt. Random bars have people doing sea-hawk chants. I'm SURE we will hear them in the stands.

Just to expound on this point a bit... there was a story on the news this morning featuring a bar that normally sees Jets fans and Giants fans come in during the regular season, but when they opened up for Super Bowl week, it instantly became a Seahawks bar. From the looks of it, it was so jam packed with 12's that all you could see from the entry way was wall-to-wall Seahawks fans and I mean that literally.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 01 M's generated a lot of buzz throughout the season, but after the terrorist attacks in September, it was very muted the rest of the way. Even well into the playoffs.

Right now though is what it's all about, the 05 Hawks gave this city quite a buzz as well, but the team this year is feverish. :noidea:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That makes sense. Social media alone is a big difference in it all I am sure. The buzz must be awesome to witness and be a part of.
Living in the middle of it, it really is a whole lot of fun to be a part of. I went to the NFC Championship game and started tailgating at 4 AM. From that point, through the game, and experiencing the feeling of that crowd in the streets after the game, it was just a rush of being caught up in something amazing.

As far as comparing the 2 Super Bowl teams, I can't really speak to the XL experience much because I was in Brazil, touring with my music group, but I have to imagine this is a little more exciting and I'll tell you why. The 12th Man existence has a firmer footing now. We feel like we're a part of this and not just watching from the stands. We also have more outlets now to express that and we're getting more attention now than we were then. That kind of thing builds upon itself and just breeds a more ravenous culture that hopefully will culminate this season with a Championship parade!

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw hundreds and hundreds of hawk fans in the airport yesterday........LAX. Not Seatac!

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a ton more buzz about this team, i think part of it is the social media but also we now have what 5 espn channels and nfl network.

But i think its also part of the team and its mentality, mindset. Swag on top of swag, plus a truly dominate defense. Add into that some wwf type personalities and its the perfect storm of awesomeness.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living in the middle of it, it really is a whole lot of fun to be a part of. I went to the NFC Championship game and started tailgating at 4 AM. From that point, through the game, and experiencing the feeling of that crowd in the streets after the game, it was just a rush of being caught up in something amazing.

As far as comparing the 2 Super Bowl teams, I can't really speak to the XL experience much because I was in Brazil, touring with my music group, but I have to imagine this is a little more exciting and I'll tell you why. The 12th Man existence has a firmer footing now. We feel like we're a part of this and not just watching from the stands. We also have more outlets now to express that and we're getting more attention now than we were then. That kind of thing builds upon itself and just breeds a more ravenous culture that hopefully will culminate this season with a Championship parade!

That makes a lot of sense. The 12th HAS been a part of the actual games and I can totally see how that alone would make it that much more special than XL.

Good Luck tomorrow 12ers! Living in Indiana, I am hoping to see Peyton get another ring but that doesn't mean I am rooting against Seattle. I also look forward to see a city experience their very 1st Super Bowl championship so basically, either way I will enjoy the outcome. As a Steeler fan, I can admit that the way Pitt won SB XL wasn't the way you ever hope your team wins but it is surely not the way you want to see your team lose. If Seattle wins tomorrow, eat it up 12ers!!! Forget XL once and for all and enjoy yourselves. It is a moment you will never forget and will be telling your grandkids about. And if they don't win, we all know this team WILL be back and a pissed off Seattle isn't something that any other NFL teams want anything to do with!

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO NO NO !!!
all you saying that this is more hyped are crazy. In 05 I still remember the loudness of the Panthers game and to be honest we as 12's have not hit that peak since, sorry. The thing with 05 was it was our first trip to the Superbowl. Fans were crazy but they were in shock and had no idea how to act or where to go what to do etc. etc. We had Matt as our QB and SA as our RB, anyone that remembers those two also know how calm and mellow those guys were. Mike Holmgren Also was just calm and mellow and the team was full of older vets. This is the difference.

Fast forward to 2014 and you see a Brash young team with a Defense that is the best ( 05 the offense was ranked #1 ) You got people Like Sherman, Kam, Thomas, Wilson, Lynch, Tate, Baldwin etc. Young building blocks and the fans know where to go and have been through it before. The New Jerseys are much more appealing to wear than the older ones so more are being bought so you see more on the streets.

More hype this year? no it's just different. The Second time always is different. More hype for the future? there is no doubt that this team has the fans higher than a kite for the future not only this season but the next 7 to 10 seasons. 05 was more of a OMG "cry" type moment, This year is more of a "TAKE WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS" type moment. More brash more in your face is all.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO NO NO !!!
all you saying that this is more hyped are crazy. In 05 I still remember the loudness of the Panthers game and to be honest we as 12's have not hit that peak since, sorry. The thing with 05 was it was our first trip to the Superbowl. Fans were crazy but they were in shock and had no idea how to act or where to go what to do etc. etc. We had Matt as our QB and SA as our RB, anyone that remembers those two also know how calm and mellow those guys were. Mike Holmgren Also was just calm and mellow and the team was full of older vets. This is the difference.

Fast forward to 2014 and you see a Brash young team with a Defense that is the best ( 05 the offense was ranked #1 ) You got people Like Sherman, Kam, Thomas, Wilson, Lynch, Tate, Baldwin etc. Young building blocks and the fans know where to go and have been through it before. The New Jerseys are much more appealing to wear than the older ones so more are being bought so you see more on the streets.

More hype this year? no it's just different. The Second time always is different. More hype for the future? there is no doubt that this team has the fans higher than a kite for the future not only this season but the next 7 to 10 seasons. 05 was more of a OMG "cry" type moment, This year is more of a "TAKE WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY OURS" type moment. More brash more in your face is all.

I think there's more hype this year for a lot of reasons:

Expectations were different going into that 2005 season than they were going into this season. It's been a while, but I don't remember a trip to the Super Bowl being on anyone's mind that year until the Hawks started reeling off win after win late in the season and it became more realistic. This year, the expectation was Super Bowl or Bust the entire year.

Back in '05, the 12th Man was obviously big locally, but it didn't get nearly as much play nationally as it has over the last few years. Our national TV appearances are now filled with references to the 12's and how loud we get. I don't remember that being the case back then even though the noise was there.

Social media is more ingrained in the culture now than it was 8 years ago, so while the excitement was there in '05, there weren't as many ways to express it or share it with the country as there are now.

Outside of a few guys on that '05 team, the Seahawks didn't really have stars that were easily recognizable around the country. This year, you can rattle off quite a list of names that non-Seahawks fans would recognize.

Expounding on that point a little bit, the overall media coverage of this team back in '05 gave off an "Oh aren't they cute. That team from South Alaska is in the Super Bowl. Let's talk about Bettis' legacy all week". This year, the coverage seems pretty even, if not a bit Seahawks-centric.

That first trip will always be special because it was the first trip, but there is definitely more hype around this one for all the reasons I laid out.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's more hype this year for a lot of reasons:

Expectations were different going into that 2005 season than they were going into this season. It's been a while, but I don't remember a trip to the Super Bowl being on anyone's mind that year until the Hawks started reeling off win after win late in the season and it became more realistic. This year, the expectation was Super Bowl or Bust the entire year.

Back in '05, the 12th Man was obviously big locally, but it didn't get nearly as much play nationally as it has over the last few years. Our national TV appearances are now filled with references to the 12's and how loud we get. I don't remember that being the case back then even though the noise was there.

Social media is more ingrained in the culture now than it was 8 years ago, so while the excitement was there in '05, there weren't as many ways to express it or share it with the country as there are now.

Outside of a few guys on that '05 team, the Seahawks didn't really have stars that were easily recognizable around the country
. This year, you can rattle off quite a list of names that non-Seahawks fans would recognize.

Expounding on that point a little bit, the overall media coverage of this team back in '05 gave off an "Oh aren't they cute. That team from South Alaska is in the Super Bowl. Let's talk about Bettis' legacy all week". This year, the coverage seems pretty even, if not a bit Seahawks-centric.

That first trip will always be special because it was the first trip, but there is definitely more hype around this one for all the reasons I laid out.

Completely agree about the expectations being different

That 05 team was coming off two consecutive wild card round losses (03 loss vs the rams and the "we want the ball and we're gonna score game" vs green bay). No one was realistically thinking superbowl prior to the season. I remember always thinking that we have a puncher's chance with our offense being so good, but no one realistically expected 13-3. And plus didn't we start like 1-2 that year?

2013 the superbowl hype was there from the get go.

Also agree on the player's personalities making a big difference in 2013 compared to 2005. Having guys like Russell, Sherman, Earl, etc. draws in a lot more of the casual fans. In 05 unless you were a football fan you weren't rocking a Walter Jones jersey or a Matt Hasselbeck jersey. 2013...it's cool to rep a Russell Jersey or a Sherman jersey whether you're a die hard fan, a casual fan or just someone who lives in Seattle.

Simply put this year's team is bigger, faster, stronger, louder